Are police good for society?

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:49 am
Figures money would be behind the problem, they are renovating the downtown area, trying to clean out the crackheads etc..planning to build all kinds of high-rises and ****.

No amount of complaining will have an effect,their property value is at stake!

on another note, me and a friend got caught stealing at k-mart( i was 15 gimme a break!)

he's hispanic,im white,same judge,i took all the merchandise except for 1 watch

he gets a $500 fine, larceny school?, and had to pay for all the items.

I get case dismissed, nada, nothing,zilch, zero, no punishment whatsoever!

WTF?!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 01:23 am
Some of the comments I found amusing :

Quote:
Or maybe because im poor, its OK? monetary discrimination could be the wave of the future.
Quote:
As it stands, police are good for business, but i dont see how they are good for society.

Going by the logic in the first half of this statementÂ….Jobs anyone?

Quote:
lol. i said no tickets were issued. if u dont get the point of my post it is that they CONSTANTLY STOP ME FOR NO REASON!

Just like every other person they stop - it's always for no reason.

Quote:
There is never any charges, yet the same officers stop me time and time again. Never any tickets, and they say "jaywalking" everytime.

So a reason, but one that you don't believe.

Quote:
i soon realised they just want to write as many tickets as possible.

And here the author offers another reasonÂ…the logic of his original statement now being rather hard to follow. It sounds like the zero tolerance stuff that New York tried.

Quote:
True, there are good police and bad police, but in my opinion all police are breaking laws, which makes them more criminals than anything (to me ,(we all have our opinions) But i am from las vegas, one of the most corrupt cities in america, haha.
Quote:
My friend made a snappy remark and was immediATELY SWARMED ON BY 3 COPS and was roughed up and almost beat up .
Quote:
:/ all i know is that i have a clean record, yet im harassed by police at least 2 times a month.

Police target certain styles/types of individual (otherwise they would have to target everyone, which is impractical). If you want less police attention, dress tidily and groom yourself. If you don't want to do that, that is of course up to you. But something is attracting police attention to yourself and it's not just being poor.

As an example, my brothers first car was an old car known to be a favourite of criminals in my city. He said he got stopped at least twice a week by police while driving the car. Years ago he got a new car, and has never been pulled over since. (I'm not saying your should get a new car, but rather, it's an example of targetting)

Also, if the problem in the neighbourhood is caused by loiterers (in specific areas), don't loiter (in specific areas), etc.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 01:39 am
I'm from LA, now an older white woman. Married a white guy right out of south LA, younger than me. I'm not sure I care what anyone else thinks, though I listen sometimes. Working on me.

Nods to Edgar and Snood.

The cops?

That depends.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 03:58 am
i dress fine

there are no sidewalks, they are ordering me to do something impossible

i dont loiter

i have a pitbull, im assuming im in a gang and i go to dog fights in basements too?

I guess prejudice in police issues is not only common, but required.
oh well
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:19 am
Hello All~!

Well, everytime I see a cop I can't help muttering "I hate cops" under my breath. It's not that I think that we shouldn't have cops; whoever wrote that without the police it would be anarachy is in my opinion correct. HOWEVER, I don't believe that their services are used the most efficient extent.

It's too bad that 90% (I'm guesstimating here) of situations in need of the police, the crime has been done and it's like an "after the fact" sort of deal. Wouldn't it be nice if there were one right when you need them?

There are cops out there who think they're the bad sh*t because they have a gun and badge, and don't give their jobs the respect it deserves. There are also pretty nice ones out there as well. I once got out of a speeding ticket by offering the officer that pulled me over some of my gummy bears. Smile He declined them but sent me on my way and we both had smiles. Smile
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:28 am
LOL,after all, i am a firm believer in anarchy. Smile

yes, i admit it!
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:31 am
OGIONIK wrote:
i dress fine

there are no sidewalks, they are ordering me to do something impossible

i dont loiter

i have a pitbull, im assuming im in a gang and i go to dog fights in basements too?

I guess prejudice in police issues is not only common, but required.
oh well

I know it's unfair, that the police have these little prejudices and use them to "profile" citizens. For example, my ex-boyfriend had a Honda Civic and he suped it up to "look" like a racing car. On the outside he put in Altezza brake lights and his rearview mirros had corner lights on them as well. However, the engine was not equipped for racing. The cops see my ex's car on the freeway and follow him until I guess they've realized he isn't going to speed.

I'm sure you think it's a hassle Ogionik, but we all tend to take for granted what we already have and only begin to appreciate it either when we lose it or when it finally comes through for us, like insurance. I'm sure we all complain about the cost of insurance, but the day we get into an accident or someone steals our car, we sigh with relief and think "Boy am I glad I decided to go for full coverage!!"

My last words to you are that nothing is ever perfect, including our police system. There's not much you can do individually except look on the bright side and tackle each instance with as much grace as you can muster. If you let the cops know that you respect their authority, they shouldn't hassle you so much.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:38 am
i dont respect their authority. They dont have any. They simply outman and outgun me, so its in my best interest not to provoke them.
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:45 am
OGIONIK wrote:
i dont respect their authority. They dont have any. They simply outman and outgun me, so its in my best interest not to provoke them.

This is probably the attitude that gets you in trouble... Idea
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:02 am
i dont get into trouble. Smile
because i dont break laws.(well i do, but drug laws are obviously ignorant and they dont count )

i think aristotle said it best. " i have gained this through philosophy; that which i do without being commanded, others do only from fear of the law"

authority has proven itself unworthy of my respect time and time again, law after law, police encounter after police encounter. i deem the people in power to be corrupt, or remarkably stupid.(akin to people who think the bible is the word of god, which in essence they both are the same, incapable of thinking for themselves, and both following rulebooks that are full of ignorance)

when THEY change, and show ME respect and stop pissing over everyones rights. i will follow suit and show them respect, for protecting everyones rights. As respect is EARNED, not given.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 01:41 pm
So you admit to breaking the (drug) laws, and you are still bitching about police stopping you? Maybe they can tell you use drugs. You don't have to agree with the law, but you are still bound to follow it. If you choose not to, don't bitch when you get in trouble.
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:01 pm
I agree. There's a saying that goes "You can be without the toothebrush, but then you cannot be without cavaties." So my friend, you can be without cavaties if you choose the toothebrush. Either or, but you can't have both.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:25 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
So you admit to breaking the (drug) laws, and you are still bitching about police stopping you? Maybe they can tell you use drugs. You don't have to agree with the law, but you are still bound to follow it. If you choose not to, don't bitch when you get in trouble.

as i said, i dont get into trouble. LOL. but go ahead and be a little sheep Smile

thats fine with me.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:32 am
mcho2k wrote:
I agree. There's a saying that goes "You can be without the toothebrush, but then you cannot be without cavaties." So my friend, you can be without cavaties if you choose the toothebrush. Either or, but you can't have both.

i have no idea what you are saying. police would be the teeth, corrupt police would be the cavities, justice and logical thinking would be the toothbrush would it not?

:O
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:57 am
If you don't understand what he's saying - it's probably the drugs that have obviously affected your head.
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:58 am
OGIONIK wrote:

i have no idea what you are saying. police would be the teeth, corrupt police would be the cavities, justice and logical thinking would be the toothbrush would it not?

:O

I think you know exactly what I'm saying. You're just being stubborn due to your foolish pride. (Which by the way, will get you no where in life.) But since you feign ignorance, I'll spell it out for you. Cavaties = trouble Toothebrush = obeying the law and respecting the weilder's of that authority.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:04 am
but its not a very good metaphor...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:06 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
If you don't understand what he's saying - it's probably the drugs that have obviously affected your head.

LOL, i think its you who are being stubborn. im pointing out ignorant, stupid, taxpayer money wasting policies and and you stereotype me.

*shrug*
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:17 am
OK i have a challenge, Give me some logical, reasonable basis for ticketing people for "jaywalking", in a residential neighbhorhood, when im not even "crossing" the street, im walking parallel to it, there are no sidewalks, and they do this constantly, with no tickets issued.

And then explain why something i put into my body has any effect on other people and has any place being illegal, when alcohol is CLEARLY more destructive disruptive and harmful to society ( drunk driving)

If you can do that i will gladly humble myself before you, for it is something i cannot do!

I bet you cant. I just want a legit reason i am wasting my income funding these police when all they have to do all day is drive around poor neighbhorhoods issuing useless tickets. Thats all i want, a good reason, a logical one. AT LEAST SPEEDING IS DANGEROUS TO OTHER PEOPLE!

it seems all you can do is stereotype me as a "thug" or a druggie, a gangster or whatever i dont know. Then judge me for not following the rules, which any moron can see are utterly stupid, completely pointless and beyond ignorant. My bad for not being another sheep-lemming, giving in to whatever someone says is right without any lgoic, or even morality behind it. I mean its not even profitable! ( i think)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:22 am
OGIONIK wrote:
OK i have a challenge, Give me some logical, reasonable basis for ticketing people for "jaywalking", in a residential neighbhorhood, when im not even "crossing" the street, im walking parallel to it, there are no sidewalks, and they do this constantly, with no tickets issued.

I have a challenge for you. Give me some logical, reasonable basis for claiming that this would be a good reason to do without police altogether.

Ever heard the expression: "throwing the baby out with the bathwater?"
0 Replies