Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 02:23 am
stuh505 wrote:
Because creativity requires intelligence

Word.

Nicely written.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 04:00 pm
I'm confident that we can find examples of both conservative and liberal artists, but the statistical picture will probably favor liberalism.
My guess is that an important variable in this contrast is authorianism. Artists are more inclined toward anti-authoritarianism and perhaps populism, essentially liberal and libertarian traits.
While not identifcal, political conservativism is more inclined toward the authoritarianism and anti-democracy of facism.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:37 am
JLNobody wrote:
I'm confident that we can find examples of both conservative and liberal artists, but the statistical picture will probably favor liberalism.

Such stats would be fascinating to look at, but I'm hesitant to weigh on what they would "probably" favor without looking at them first. In fact, the thesis has held up so far only because we've refrained from looking at actual artists. I can't get over the sneaking suspicion that we expect the stats to favor liberalism because we want them to.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:55 am
Bookmark
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 06:47 pm
That may be so, Shapeless. I don't think anyone has ever measured the political attitudes of artists. It would be a difficult task, i.e., the accurate and quantifiable definitions of conservatism, liberalism and artist (the are so many variations).
I've only given an "impression" of the case, and it is undoubtedly infused with my values and desires.
0 Replies