Abolish "Allah"

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:59 pm
Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all connected, though, with both Christianity and Islam being built on Judaism. In this case, people of these faiths clearly all believe in the same "one God". It doesn't matter whether God exists or is a figment of their collective imaginations. It's their shared history that makes it the same god.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:06 pm
Fair point, Freeduck!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:10 pm
In a realistic pragmatic sense how can you have a "shared history" that you yourself were not a part of? Symbolically and at arms length, if you wish to believe in the sharing sure, otherwise....eh.

It's no different than the artifice of nationalism.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:24 am
That may be so. But that doesn't change the point. It's the same as if we started suggesting that California isn't really part of America.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:39 am
Re: Abolish "Allah"
sozobe wrote:
Note quotes. It's important.

How about if English-speakers stop using the word "Allah" when referring to the Muslim God, unless it's in an untranslated swath of Arabic? Why not just say "God"? "Allah" is the Arabic word for the self-same God of the Jewish and Christian people.

Jews: Moses was a prophet, Jesus and Mohammed weren't.

Christians: Moses and Jesus were prophets, Mohammed wasn't.

Muslims: Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed were all prophets.

I think that use of "Allah" encourages a notion of Muslims being completely OTHER that is dangerous and unnecessary.

The word, Allah, is pure and unique, unlike the word God.

If you add 's' to the word God, it becomes Gods, that is the plural of God. Allah is one and singular, there is no plural of Allah.

If you add 'dess' to the word God, it becomes Goddess that is a female God. There is nothing like male Allah or female Allah. Allah has no gender.

If you add the word 'father' to God it becomes God-father. God-father means someone who is a guardian. There is no word like Allah-father.

If you prefix 'tin' before the word God, it becomes tin-God (fake God). Allah is a unique word, which does not conjure up any mental picture nor can it be played around with.

Therefore the Muslims prefer using the Arabic word Allah for the Almighty.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:48 am
The one thing that joins the Christian God, the Muslim Allah and the Jewish G-d is that the believers of each think that that other two concepts of the supernatural are false and they are willing to kill anyone who dares to say otherwise.

Joe)It is a mutual arrangement of derangement.(Nation
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:09 am
Should this sort of thing be applied universially? Do Pedro and Juan become Peter and John too?

While I get your basic premise Soz, using "Allah" instead of "God" does mean something. The various religions have slightly different concepts of what "God" is. By using "Allah" the Islamic concept rides with the word.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:39 am
Re: Abolish "Allah"
muslim1 wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Note quotes. It's important.

How about if English-speakers stop using the word "Allah" when referring to the Muslim God, unless it's in an untranslated swath of Arabic? Why not just say "God"? "Allah" is the Arabic word for the self-same God of the Jewish and Christian people.

Jews: Moses was a prophet, Jesus and Mohammed weren't.

Christians: Moses and Jesus were prophets, Mohammed wasn't.

Muslims: Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed were all prophets.

I think that use of "Allah" encourages a notion of Muslims being completely OTHER that is dangerous and unnecessary.

The word, Allah, is pure and unique, unlike the word God.

If you add 's' to the word God, it becomes Gods, that is the plural of God. Allah is one and singular, there is no plural of Allah.

If you add 'dess' to the word God, it becomes Goddess that is a female God. There is nothing like male Allah or female Allah. Allah has no gender.

If you add the word 'father' to God it becomes God-father. God-father means someone who is a guardian. There is no word like Allah-father.

If you prefix 'tin' before the word God, it becomes tin-God (fake God). Allah is a unique word, which does not conjure up any mental picture nor can it be played around with.

Therefore the Muslims prefer using the Arabic word Allah for the Almighty.

I think there's much fodder here for someone intent on making something of nothing. God/Allah/Jah/Yahweh/Jehovah knows who is being referred to, and so does the one speaking, and the one hearing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:13 am
muslim1, thanks for weighing in.

I'd say that everything you point out refers to the lowercase use of "god." Uppercase "God" means almost exactly the same thing as "the God," which is what Allah means. The god being referred to with the uppercase is singular (there is only one God) and can not be a goddess. The word godfather is lower-case. "Tin-god" isn't really used in English, or at least I'm not familiar with it.

I really think the English "God" (upper case) and the Arabic "Allah" mean pretty much precisely the same thing.

I am not saying that Islam and Christianity and Judaism are exactly the same thing, at all. Just, we acknowledge that Christians and Jews both worship the same God and don't use different terms for Him*; it seems like it would be useful to do the same for Muslims.

*Question, I looked this up but didn't find anything conclusive... what is the Hebrew word for God? Hebrew in the sense of what language Israelis speak. I don't think they just say "God" in the middle of a Hebrew sentence, but I don't see their word for God retained when the (modern) Hebrew they speak is translated to English.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:07 am
If you prefix Allah with "dead" and postfix it with "puke" you get the kind of militant radical muslim I like.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:10 am
Damn. The only good'un is a dead'un. You actually managed to work that in. Persistent little racist ass, aint'cha?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:25 am
Quote:
I really think the English "God" (upper case) and the Arabic "Allah" mean pretty much precisely the same thing.

Good. Then we are agreed. We shall henceforth only use the word Allah.

Joe(how's that?)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:35 am
Aw, c'mon Joe. We all know you prefer "dog".
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:26 am
snood wrote:
Damn. The only good'un is a dead'un. You actually managed to work that in. Persistent little racist ass, aint'cha?

The only racist ass here is you because you continue to play that card.

Islam is not a race, dude. You are no longer in the military, right? Did you forget who are are at war with?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:30 am
cjhsa wrote:
snood wrote:

Islam is not a race, dude. You are no longer in the military, right? Did you forget who are are at war with?

No one forgot who we are at "war" with.... but it is nice of you to remind us of them anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:34 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

Good. Then we are agreed. We shall henceforth only use the word Allah.

Joe(how's that?)Nation

Fresco already made that point, and I already responded.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2650838#2650838

Meanwhile, I realize I titled this provocatively, but can we get away from the stupid insults?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:53 am
cjhsa wrote:
snood wrote:

Well if we weren't at war with them, you'd still find reason to hate'em, now wouldn't ya, billybob? Along with all them thar ill-leegul ay-leeuns, raht? Yee-hah!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 11:09 am
I was unaware that the United States was at war with Islam. Can somebody provide me a link for the Congressional declaration by which we declared war on Islam?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 11:27 am
I think he is referring to the war on Terra.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 11:29 am
That's the one that we're all winning, and that we're all losing, too, huh?
0 Replies