THE ENCYCLOPEIA OF LIFE

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 06:57 pm
A multinational effort to catalog, describe, and provide as much information about all the species on the planet is being undertaken by kiterally hundreds of institutions worldwide. This effort is expected to take at least 12to 25 years and will be 300 million page compilation of information of all the worlds species. The first efforts are to catalog the simplest life forms, then plants and animals , followed by fossil species. The entire effort may talley up to 50 BILLION species, with only about 5 million believed to be extant ( we are certain of almost 2 million species.

300 pages on the web, when printed out, will be about 52000 miles or twice around the earth, so dont get any ideas of printing out a notebook. More information

The Encyclopedia of Life
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,115 • Replies: 4
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:02 pm
Given how rapidly the molecular folks are redistributing the tiny things among old and new phyla, maybe they should start with the big things and leave the simple things until the field has settled down a bit...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:04 pm
but they wish to catalog them so they will do as much genomics as needed to define their rightful places in the Linnean lineup.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:25 pm
I read about this, and I think it's a wonderful idea. Not that I'm educated enough to get that much use out of it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:45 pm
This is COOL!
0 Replies