Oldest dog hates chemotherapy

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 05:03 pm
Quality time, and love.

I know that's what I'd want.

Forehead rubs to you, Otis and the pack.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 05:06 pm
Forehead rubs, that's the ticket. My ole business partner is the one who taught me how dogs like all the stuff around the head and muzzle, hard for them to do themselves, especially toward the top of the head from the muzzle, er, the forehead.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 05:49 pm
Iffy is growing fonder and fonder of having the skull over her frontal lobes caresses.

Mind, shotgun pellets have been known to bounce off Skull of Pit Bull, so the caressing is most welcome when very firm.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:55 pm
Hugs to Otis and his humans.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:19 am
This is a hard topic to read, but a necessary one. Head rubs from me, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:57 am
It's tough, pdog. My little dog is older than dirt and getting to be a problem. Last night when I fed her, she seemed disoriented, and I had to move her food dish three times before she found it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:37 am
Best wishes to you, edgar. Old age is a toughie -- I'm only half-joking when I say I'd just as soon miss it and the senile dementia that afflicts my family. Just as hard in critters. Harder, maybe, because you can't explain to them what's going on.

Thanks for the kind thoughts all.

Otis had solid poop yesterday evening and ate kibble and chicken and rice -- significant because he's been pointedly refusing chicken and rice for a couple of weeks. So good times are coming. Hopefully they'll last for a little while.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:39 am
Hurray for solid poop!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:53 am
I am relieved to hear good news, PPD. I'd mail you a meatloaf sammich for the boy, but it might not be in good shape by the time it got there.
0 Replies

Howdy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:09 am
hello does anyone know if it is safe to give a preganet dog pet-tinic
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:49 am
Copper and iron can be toxic if used in excess. Never give more than the recommended label dose or the amount that your veterinarian tells you to use.

If you haven't consulted a veterinarian, it's probably a good idea -- especially if you're planning on having more litters.
0 Replies

Howdy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:56 am
thanks i have spoken to a vet here and this is the same vet that updated shots on my brothers dog and all the puppys died
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:03 am
It may or may not have been the shots that got the puppies. Just because I do A and B happens doesn't mean that B was caused by A. Still, I wouldn't recommend breeding dogs without a vet that you trust to guide you through it.

Better still, I don't recommend breeding dogs, with all of the perfectly good dogs who get put down every day for lack of a home, but that's (mostly) another issue if she's already preggers.

Who recommended the vet-tinic to you? Why was it reommended?
0 Replies

Howdy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:18 am
it is my sons dog when she was a puppy she was nemic. the vet give her pet-tinic
my son let her breed and now that she is most likely pregnant and looks pale he brings her to me the town i live in only has one vet where he lives there are a ton of vets i have read on the internet that vaccinateing the pregnant dog causes abortions so of course i want to ask different opinions on the pet-tinic i have already spoke to the vet here and he said give it to her he wouldn't see no harm in it but he has never heard of it and that i could look on the internet to see if i could find where it says don't give to a pregnant dog
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:50 am
Some of the shots cause abortion. Some don't. If the vet knew or should have known that she was pregnant and gave the type of shots that can cause abortion, he made a big mistake.

If he wasn't willing to at least ask his colleagues in other towns if they knew anything about the product, though, that's just lazy. Why can't the dog go see a vet where your sun lives? Can he not afford to do it or is there some other reason?

Also, is the dog a pit bull? There is a blood parasite that is widespread in American pit bull dogs, and it can be transmitted from the mom to her pups, so it might be a good idea to have her checked.

And last -- has the dog's food been increased since she got pregnant. By late pregnancy, a bitch should be allowed to eat pretty much as much as she wants, especially if she's carrying a big litter. This is also really important during lactation. If she's still eating the same amount of food or only a little bit more than she got before and she's moving into late pregnancy, she and her pups are starving.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 01:17 pm
So, had a good phone conversation with my favorite veterinary oncologist. She agrees with my assessment of the situation and did the same thing when her dog had lymphoma a few years ago. (Why do vets never have normal animals?) There were some more options that we could have tried to make things better for duder, but none of them were likely to be very helpful.
She said that we should be able to expect a month or two more on the prednisone - which is maybe a little more optimistic than what I was figuring, and might have been offered as such. At any rate, the Wisconsin spring and summer are coming (in rapid succession, as always) and we can go scout out some of the good swimming spots we haven't hit up before. Otis likes a good swim when the weather turns hot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:22 pm
Cleo can vouch for the good swimming available in Wisconsin.

There are bays ... lakes ... rivers ...

Wishing Otis some good laps.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:53 pm
We went, i believe, north and west out of town on a state road to a little town which had a nice river-side park which allowed the Adventure Girl to wander right down the bank and into the Wisconsin River. It was a nice spot.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:42 pm
I think I know the area you're talking about. There are also some really nice spots south of there where there are lots of sandy shoals in the shallows. Thanks -- hadn't been thinking of that area.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 06:03 pm
I've got a bug in my brain that thinks we were around Sauk City - there's a bridge near a small town park <squinting into my memory bank> - sandbars - the pic with folks gathered around a bench here ... click looks strikingly like where Cleo headed in for her Wisconsin River Dip'N'Swish.

Definitely a cooling-dog-in-summer area.
0 Replies