Oldest dog hates chemotherapy

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 08:42 am
So, I'm going to post about this now. It's not exceptionally funny, and it's a long ass post, and it's here more for my benefit than anything else.

About a month ago, Otis - our first dog, a Heeler/Shepherd/mystery-meat mix - stopped eating with enthusiasm. Probably it happened some time before that, but it's not always easy to tell when a dog downgrades from ravenous eating to only very hungry eating.

We'd just taken in a new dog and he seemed a little pissed off about this, and he's always been a little snobbish about kibble, so we initially thought it was just a little protest at the general state of affairs. Then he stopped eating. He'd pick up food, look a little worried, and then let it fall out of his mouth again.

So we figured he was painful. He chews on bones aggressively and he'd never had a good dental exam, so we figured he had a broken and/or rotten tooth. I took him in to the vet to get him scheduled for a cleaning. He's six-and-a-half years old and we're doing all right in the money department right now, so I ordered the most extensive (which is to say, the senior) pre-anesthetic chemistry panel for him. Out of curiosity as much as anything else, and I'm a big fan of blood screens for early detection.

This was on a Thursday. The chemistry panel came back on Friday with a high total calcium. I'm a vet student, so I know the list of differentials for hypercalcemia - tumor, tumor, and spurious test result. Naturally we hoped for the latter.

Otis's dental was scheduled for that Monday. Over the weekend, we tried various foods on him. Thursday he ate cottage cheese. Friday he wouldn't eat cottage cheese, but he ate sliced ham and turkey. Saturday he ate the turkey, but not the ham. By Sunday he wouldn't eat anything except for a few crackers.

Monday's dental didn't turn up anything except a remarkably healthy set of teeth and gums for a dog who gets virtually no dental care save avid chewing. We took survey radiographs to look for tumors, since nothing was apparent on the outside. The vet took a look, said she couldn't find anything except a suspicious looking length of intestine. We scheduled him for an abdominal ultrasound at another hospital the following day. I took the radiographs with me to take to the next clinic.

That afternoon I had nothing to do, so I went over to the vet school to look at the films for myself. I'd just put them up on a view board when one of my classmates walked up and pointed at the chest film. Sure enough, there was an opacity right in front of the little guy's heart.

This is not so good. There are two types of tumors that are likely to show up there that might cause elevated serum calcium: one is lymphoma, the other is thymoma.

Lymphoma is a tumor of white blood cells (lymphocytes, to be specific). When it is in the thorax, it is almost always a T-lymphocyte tumor, and these do not respond well to therapy. Less than a third of lymphomas cause a high calcium in a dog.

Thymoma is a tumor of the thymus, the organ responsible for making T-lymphocytes. The thymus sits in front of the heart and is large when animals are very young, but regresses with age, though there are vestigial remnants of it sitting around. This type of tumor is not as common as lymphoma - not even at this location, which is an uncommon lymphoma site - but it has a couple of features that made me think that the mass might be a thymoma and not lymphoma. It was seated near the sternum (thymomas are more commonly - though not always - found near the sternum while lymphomas are usually - though not always - found nearer the spine) and thymomas are more likely to raise calcium levels than is lymphoma. Treatment of thymoma is a dangerous intrathoracic surgery, but animals who make it through the surgery usually live for a couple of years or more. Treatment of lymphoma is chemotherapy, and prognosis for treatment in this location is a couple to a few months of survival, at best.

So, I took Otis to his ultrasound appointment the next day. They went ahead and looked at his abdomen and took more radiographs of his chest, making it clearer that the mass what we already thought it was. On ultrasound, its appearance was more consistent with a thymoma than a lymphoma, but this was by no means diagnostic. And Otis had some lymph nodes that were a little large. We aspirated the lymph nodes and sent the samples over to the vet school to be evaluated.

It was - it is - lymphoma. Mediastinal lymphoma. Not the "good" kind (dogs with lymphoma that is restricted to peripheral nodes respond well to chemotherapy and can live for years after treatment). Otis started chemotherapy that Thursday, a week after he started spitting out his food. He took the first week's treatment (IV doxorubicin that day and daily prednisone) pretty well, with a day or two of feeling sick and then coming back around and eating well, playing, howling a bit (his newest trick is howling on command), wrestling with his dog.

The second week of treatment has not gone as well. The cyclophasphamide wiped out his GI tract - which always has been a sensitive one. Vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, and by Friday night his gut stopped moving and blew up with gas so fast that I took him in to have radiographs taken just to make sure he wasn't blocked (which has happened to him before), though I figured , especially after giving him a rectal exam, that it was just unbelievable gas. Which it was. I had to roll down the windows on the way home from the clinic in the rain.

Now, five days later, he's just starting to willingly eat a little bit of food again. He's due for his next treatment tomorrow, but I don't know yet if we're going to carry through with it. As I said, his prognosis is not good, and he's probably not even going to survive the full 19 weeks of chemotherapy. The idea in starting the treatment was just to get him a good last summer before he goes, but if this is going to be his response to chemo, it's not going to be a good summer, and I'd rather shoot for a couple of good weeks before the hypercalcemia comes back and we have to put him down than two months of force-feeding and subcutaneous fluids. There also is the option of continuing with the prednisone alone (which will help with the calcium for a little while even after the tumor is resistant to it) or of continuing just on the prednisone and doxorubicin (the drug he didn't respond too badly to).

Anyway, this is a long read. If you got this far, you probably should get back to work. I just felt like throwing this up here, since I've actually got a few slack hours when I don't have to study for an exam or give Otis his nursing care. (He's sleeping right now, which he hasn't done a whole lot because of how he's been feeling and because the antinausea drug we've been giving him makes him nervous and jittery; I'm thinking about trying to get him some valium, which will take the edge off of the nausea and off his general anxiety.)

Spring's here and it is beautiful out here on the porch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,734 • Replies: 153
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 08:48 am
A long read but an interesting one.

I'm sorry about Otis. Sounds like he really lucked out in the human department, though, and that he's getting fabulous and thoughtful care.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 08:52 am
tough times, for sure.

hang in there, Otis & p-dog...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:01 am
Quote:
There also is the option of continuing with the prednisone alone

I don't know much about doggie physiology, but I DO know about lymphoma and chemotherapy, from a human standpoint.

Early on in my disease I was given prednisone, vincristine and chlorambucil as part of a chemotherepeutic protocol. I had a tumor near my elbow about the size of 2/3 of a golf ball.

The prednisone was given in a 5 day, every three week regimen. First of all it made me nuts. I needed to take Zantac to counteract the GI problems associated with prednisone. Second, during the five day period, you could actually see the tumor shrinking, minute by minute. As soon as I was off of the prednisone, the tumor would grow again, just as quickly as it shrank.

I know how you feel about your pooch, but I am just wondering if the treatment is worth what he is going through. If there were a chance of a cure, of course I would say "go fo it", but I am wondering if you are not putting the critter through a lot of torment for pitifully little return.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:05 am
That's what patiodog says too though, Phoenix:

patiodog wrote:
The idea in starting the treatment was just to get him a good last summer before he goes, but if this is going to be his response to chemo, it's not going to be a good summer, and I'd rather shoot for a couple of good weeks before the hypercalcemia comes back and we have to put him down than two months of force-feeding and subcutaneous fluids.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:10 am
I saw that soz, but I really wonder whether putting the dog on chemotherapy at all is the way to go.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:15 am
... that's what he's saying. The dog is on chemotherapy now, the dog doesn't seem to be doing well with chemo, so patiodog is considering just stopping the chemo so the dog will enjoy what time he has left.

I'm pretty sure, anyway.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:37 am
Patiodog--

You have my sympathy.

Last week our 14-nearly-15 year old dog was diagnosed with a malignant tumor which has probably spread. The diagnosis wasn't a complete surprise. Iffy's naps have become longer and longer and her appetite is more and more finicky.

We decided--as stated in our own living wills--that quality of life is more important than quantity of life. Iffy wil die in her own good time.

Since Otis is a much younger dog and you are a much younger dog owner the decision on treatment must be very difficult for you.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:37 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I saw that soz, but I really wonder whether putting the dog on chemotherapy at all is the way to go.

The dog protocols don't go nearly as close to the toxic doses of the drugs as the human protocols do -- so where 10% of humans might show severe toxic side effects of a particular treatment, the dosage for that treatment is scaled down so maybe 2% of dogs show the same side effects. Otis's prednisone dose, for instance, is actually about the same or even a little bit less than he would get if he was a severe allergy patient. Most dogs who undergo this treatment protocol do not have very adverse reactions to the treatments.

The treatment is designed this way in part because the animal can't advocate for it's own quality of life, but also because the reward vs. risk balance is not the same as it is in human oncology. A good outcome for a dog is a couple of years. A good outcome for a person is a couple of decades -- but they are treated for the same length of time.

That said, Otis is not your average dog -- he's a 6.5 year old medium-sized mix-breed with an old dog tumor, and it's an atypical presentation of the tumor at that. He's also got a history of GI problems and is prone to stress diarrhea. I couldn't bear not to give him the chance to respond to treatment, though, especially since we can afford it right now.

(Ironically, the cancer itself has gone into remission very rapidly, Otis's white blood cell and platelet counts are very good, his kidneys are doing great, and his serum chemistry is perfectly normal. He just feels like ****.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:39 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Hold your dominion.

Thanks, osso. Hold your own as well. My sympathies for your own pooch, too. (Is this the Corgi?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:53 am
Aargh.

Poor little fella....

It' never good watching anything go through a nasty chemo, and if the results are likely to not be much..

Do they use the same anti nausea drugs with dogs as humans?

I am just thinking of how my friend described the awful effects that drug had on her, during her breast CA chemo....quite scary.

Sorry to hear it all, Patio, and Otis.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:02 am
patiodog wrote:
(Ironically, the cancer itself has gone into remission very rapidly, Otis's white blood cell and platelet counts are very good, his kidneys are doing great, and his serum chemistry is perfectly normal. He just feels like ****.)

An therein lies the conundrum. I wish you patiodog, and Otis, the best.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:16 am
I have nothing to offer you in the way of advice--it's a tough call, and it's all yours, no one can decide for you.

However, as a human well-trained by dogs, and dedicated to their quality of life, i do understand completely what you're going through. You have all of my sympathy, and for what it's worth, my moral support.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:34 am
that really sucks, p-dog.

wishing for some pleasant spring days ahead for you and your pooch.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:41 am
I know your not looking for sympathy, patiodog, but you have mine anyway. I know you'll do what's in you pup's best interest.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:47 am
Thanks all.

He let me know he was up from his post-fluids nap by barking at a snake basking in the yard. I offered him some max-cal (pet equivalent of Ensure; most dogs and cats hate it but he seems to have developed a taste for it), and he wolfed it down, followed by about 6 ounces of browned ground beef. We got him to eat some live-culture yogurt yesterday in the hopes that it might help normalize the bacterial population of his intestines -- I'd seen what look suspiciously like an overgrowth of anaerobes on a fecal smear on Sunday, which wouldn't have been at all surprising in the wake of the chemo.

Good walk, too.

Which makes it even more difficult. I'm considering going ahead with this week's treatment and taking a much more proactive line on protecting the gut -- sucralfate for the stomach, lactulose to help keep him from absorbing ammonia from his bowel, metronidazole to keep the anaerobic bacteria in check, and keep on with the famotidine to keep his stomach acid down. And good old pepto, of course. I have nothing to do next next week, so I can devote the whole time to supportive care for the little dude. Last week's drug (cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)) is the nastiest of the bunch...

I've been giving him metoclopramide (Reglan) injectable for the nausea, but only when he really seems to need it because it makes him anxious and uncomfortable and interferes with his sleep.

Still not sure what we'll do. Hopefully I'll be able to see my favorite oncologist tomorrow and have a good talk about it. I'm pretty sure she's on clinics this week.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:59 am
Noddy,

sorry to hear about Iffy...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:02 am
Patiodog--

Osso is the Good Woman with the Corgi.

I'm the Good Woman with the Pit Bull.

You couldn't confuse me with a nicer person.

RP--

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:29 am
Damn it, I'm sorry. I always get you two mixed up (and I never quite no why -- except the nice thing, of course...)...

And must redirect my sympathy toward the proper dog-person combo...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:56 am
Pacco and osso show up to commiserate...

Are you done with exams? That would be a little relief, if so...
0 Replies