DVD Ripping

mcho2k

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:02 pm
Hello,
I have a friend, (honest!) who has tried to copy / burn a DVD using his computer. This was a DVD rented from Blockbuster, and the DVD explicitly read that it was copy protected, but ignoring the warning, he tried to go ahead and burn it anyways. He didn't know he needed special software at the time, so none was installed into the hardware. What happened, he said was that an awful, shrill, and extremely loud noise came out of the speakers when he attempted to burn the DVD. He swore he remembered hearing that certain companies embed something into the disk so that when burning is attempted, this result would happen to discourage piracy. Does anyone know if this is true?? And does this action ultimately damage your computer?? Thanks for any help!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 705 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:39 pm
I have never heard of this, but if it is the case, I'd stop renting movies from blockbuster immediately. I really hate how desperate these companies are getting to stop piracy (regardless of weather or not this is true).
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 09:47 am
I agree.. Thanks Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 10:11 am
Of course they're desperate to prevent piracy -- they lose a billion dollars a year from people copying their stuff.

People should quit being so damn cheap and buy the movies, music, etc. that they want. They have no right to get it for free.

<grumble, grumble>

Thieves plain and simple.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 10:11 am
Perhaps you should just buy the freakin' dvd instead of stealing it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:36 pm
boomerang wrote:
Of course they're desperate to prevent piracy -- they lose a billion dollars a year from people copying their stuff.

People should quit being so damn cheap and buy the movies, music, etc. that they want. They have no right to get it for free.

For free, of course not. But what angers me the most is the fact that production costs have
plummeted for music and still they charge us almost as much as they do with movies.
The ones that should get the money are the artists, not the evil heartless (harr harr) companies.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:43 pm
It's called royalties.

Quote:
8. an agreed portion of the income from a work paid to its author, composer, etc., usually a percentage of the retail price of each copy sold.
9. a royal right, as over minerals, granted by a sovereign to a person or corporation.
10. the payment made for such a right.

When you steal from the company (har har) you steal from the artist (boo hoo).
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 01:14 pm
Well, I for one think this is about to change, with this thing called the internet and computers.
It is no longer impossible for artists to get famous without indorsements from multinational
corporations. These days most artists make their money on concerts and live shows (while the
corporations make their money on record sales).

What I'm really saying is that I think there should be a price difference between a CD
with perhaps some hundred thousand dollars in production costs, and a movie with
hundreds of millions of dollars in the budget.
0 Replies