Look, do you have time on YOUR hands

coberst

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:16 am
Events and time:Spatial time:time is never alone but is often marked in spatial terms.

Time flows like a river. Time stands still and the observer moves. The observer stands still while time moves. There is trouble down the road. What length of time will you be staying? We are coming up to Christmas. We passed the deadline. The days dwindle down to a precious few. The deadline sneaked by me. The future is ahead of us. Put the past behind you. Time is never alone but is often marked by my presence.

All this time orientation occurs in many languages and occurs widely around the world; these conceptions of time are not arbitrary, but are motivated by "by the most basic of everyday experiences". Time is conceived with metaphors. We do not speak of time-in-it-self we think of time in metaphor. In many metaphors, time is conceived as a container. "He ran a mile in five minutes", in locates the event within a metaphorical temporal container, i.e. a bounded region. "The race occurred at 10 A.M.", locates time at
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 466 • Replies: 2
No top replies

AziMythe

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:32 pm
I had a good time.

But now time is up.

It's all over now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:06 am
Ah, coberst, cannot you ever talk to us without the curtains of construct?

What did you have for dinner?
0 Replies