Smackdown of the has-beens: Gamecube v. Playstation 2

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:11 pm
Okay so I need a game player. It's for a six year old.

He had a Gamecube and it bit the dust. I wanted to get a wii but I'm not going to pay $600 bucks on eBay for a game player for a 6 year old. Forget it.

So I looked at the Playstation 3. Yep, $600. Ain't gonna happen.

I've narrowed it down to replacing his Gamecube or getting a Playstation 2. (C'mon. He's 6. He's not getting a $600 machine. Don't try to convince me to do it. It. Isn't. Going. To. Happen. I'm not concerned about his old games working on the new system or about the compatability with Gameboy games so Gamecube doesn't have an edge. (Plus, the whole Wii situation pisses me off.))

We've pretty much explored the appropriate games for kids on the Gamecube and I don't really know what is available for the Playstation.

Which would you pick? Why?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,107 • Replies: 26
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 06:30 pm
Penny pinching 'rents wont get a Wii.

They dont really love me. Nobody likes me and all my friends have a Wii.
This sucks n evry 1 sucks bad!!!1 I HATE YOU!!!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:02 pm
You're going to bed without any dinner, dadpad.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:20 pm
boomer, several years ago my son (14 at the time) was told he wasn't allowed a playstation, he spends wayyyyyyy to much time not doing homework lacks imagination etc etc (all the usual stupid parent reasons.)

He went to the bank and withdrew $450.00 went to the store and bought one then hid it. He then realised he wouldn't be able to play it at home so gave it too his friend to keep at his house.

His mate's father is a policeman so when the father found out about it you his natural assumption was it was hot.

Things got rally quite messy from there.

Luckily the unit was never actually removed from the box and the receipt still available It was returned to the store for a full refund. The store were not too happy but I didn't give a rats about that, and the mates father is a friend of mine so we had a giggle.

My son still doesn't have a game console.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:24 pm
Wii is the ****. That's a good thing, by the way.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:42 pm
Oh. Pardon me. Perhaps I neglected to mention that I AM NOT GETTING A WII. At least not until they are priced at the MSRP of $250.00.

dadpad! You're just plain mean!

Just kidding.

At least your son did the rightish thing but not even taking it out of the box. When Mo hits the teen years we might just move in with you and Mrs. dadpad so that I will have a strong shoulder to lean on.

When it comes to denying things to the ones he loves, Mr. B is flabby but thinks he's tough. He's a total pushover. That's why I married him.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:44 pm
Wii?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:48 pm
Oui.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:57 pm
My puny 2 cents - All these game boxes are like crack for little boys (girls don't seem as vulnerable to the sirens call). I hate seeing my nephews sitting for hours (and hours ) in front of them. They don't hear when you speak to them, they throw tantrums if you try and stop them from playing so much and they are pasty white from refusing to go outside to play something that requires physical movement and imagination. My youngest nephew (9) was a an avid reader until he got one of these things - he hasn't willingly read a book since. He fights with his parents about how long he can sit in front of the thing. All the boys seem hyper when they do stop and love to act out the action (usually violence) on each other.The boys also all do a wide eyed expression with their mouths a little dropped open like half wits when they play- it just creeps me out. Give Mo a game station for a college graduation present and has finished being a little kid.
(Climbing off my soapbox now.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:11 pm
I appreciate your comments Green Witch but Mo has had a Gamecube for about a year and a half. He would much rather go outside and play but here in waterworld that isn't always possible.

He gets bored with video games as quick as he gets bored with everything else.

We might have to reconsider when he gets a bit older but right now it really isn't a problem.

I like to play too, by the way. I'm really bad so I don't require a fancy console either.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:58 pm
One more maddening comment:

Quote:
When it comes to denying things to the ones he loves, Mr. B is flabby but thinks he's tough. He's a total pushover. That's why I married him.

What about a puppy?

I can talk about dogs, but not about video gaming.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 09:04 pm
Funny you should mention that....

My neighbor told me that she had just heard about a big puppy mill bust up in Vancouver Washington and that our pound was sure to be full of little doggies next week!

Mr. B is not so cavelier with living things and I have to respect that. Summer is coming quickly and puppy is in order.

Plus, my mom is coming to visit!!!! I'm not sure how that might effect our typical Texas travels this summer which might influence puppy acquisition but....

My mom is coming to visit!!!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 09:06 pm
Boomer--

Quote:
My mom is coming to visit!!!!!

Good! Sometimes mothers are a great comfort for mommies.

Does Mo have an opinion on the video game choice?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 09:26 pm
Nah, Mo doesn't care. He doesn't even know we're looking for a new one.

His has been broken for a while. We rented Beauty's for a week while he was sick and having to take those steroids and I had to watch him like a hawk and wouldn't let him really go outside or do much of anything.

He'll be fine with whatever we pick but I do want to pick the right one.

I can't wait for my mom to get here. She doesn't really like to travel. She likes to come here but she doesn't like the trip here. I'm so happy she agreed to come. My sister and I ganged up on her and I just got her answer a little bit ago.

Yeah mom!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:06 pm
Enjoy!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:27 pm
You can get a Wii for less than $600

And it is SO worth it.

It makes you get up and move. No sitting on your ass anymore...

These are all listings that ended for Wii...all under $300 (including shipping) or close to it.

$264

$270

$272

$255

And there are more.
It can be done...you just have to be willing to sit by your puter and bid. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:30 pm
This one is at $227 with $35 shipping. Maybe you can snipe in and pick it off.....

Endig in 28 mins......

Wii

$140 with a $35 shipping......

Get it....get it....get it....

Wii2

Laughing Laughing

Sorry, I am such a ****.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:36 pm
OH! I just thought of this.....

PS2 (and 3) have this game called Guitar Hero.

Mo would LOVE that.

You'd have to buy the guitar "controller" but he'd have a freakin' ball.

Guitar Hero PS2
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:33 pm
Hahahahaha.

I'm going to hunt you down, Bella, in .... what.... about 7 years? and see how much ass sitting you get to do when you have a 6 year old kid.

This is the first time I've sat down all day and that's only because I have some photo work grinding on another program.

Honestly, I'd be more willing to pay $600 than sit around watching eBay. I'm totally a "time is money" person.

Anyway.....

I bought the Playstation 2 today so the matter is settled.

I've thought about the Guitar Hero thing -- Noddy pointed it out to me some months ago. I'll probably end up getting one but I'm going to wait until at least the time Mo has his first round of guitar lessons under his belt. I'm afraid that if it is much easier than the real thing that he'll give up on the real thing and I'll listen to endless versions of virtual Sweet Home Alabama instead of real versions of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

(2,555 days and counting......)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:36 pm
Now just who in the heck voted for Gamecube but didn't bother to mention why they voted for Gamecube?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies