What do you think of this newspaper article, re racism?

vikorr

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 05:38 pm
Background - it's a sports article on Rugby League. Last years top tryscorer was playing in the team that came last (South Sydney, who won only 3 games out of about 24). To achieve this feat is incredibly difficult (should be impossible). This year, that same winger, who is still scoring very well, could not make the lowest representative side possible (Country V City).

In order of representative duties for NSW players it goes :
1. Country V City
2. State of Origin (NSW V QLD)
3. Australia

After not making Country V City, some journalist asked this player 'do you think it's because of your aboriginality', and the player (Nathan Merritt) replied 'maybe'. The media then turned this into accusations of racism in the league (which I think was highly irresponsible by the media, given the leading questions, and the timing of the question, but who expects anything better from them).

Then this article came out.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21665871-5003409,00.html

Just a note regarding this article (for those not familiar with Rugby League). It makes assertions about size. These concerns/assertions are in relation to defensive ability only - the theory being the bigger you are, the less likely you are to be trampled over in defence.

My question is : Do you think this article is, perhaps untintentially, excusing/justifying racism?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,184 • Replies: 12
No top replies

AziMythe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:35 am
No racism. Just physics.
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 01:00 am
The media never let the facts get in the way of a good story
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 04:09 pm
Go Bunnies!!!
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:27 pm
That article was obviously written with the intention of stirring heated comments about racism and is a lot of tripe.

In my many years I have come across aborigines who were tall and well built and I have come across those who were shorter and less well built, just as I have come across the same differences in 'whites'.

The game calls for big beefy forwards and for lighter backs, where speed and agility are needed.

In my personal opinion journos in general are a dime a dozen, sports journos aren't even worth that. They will suck up to popular teams, with never a fair or good word for the less popular teams or players. It's all designed to create controversy, not to pass on factual information.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:47 pm
As the official "racist" of A2K because of my views on ILLEGAL aliens, no.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:44 am
Don't sell yourself short, Cjhsa--you have shown a wonderful capacity to assume that anyone with a brown skin is automatically an illegal alien, to make breathtakingly stupid remarks about black people, and to make stereotypically racist comments about Jews.

When it comes to brain-dead, good ol' boy racism, you're a true renaissance man.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 08:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
Don't sell yourself short, Cjhsa--you have shown a wonderful capacity to assume that anyone with a brown skin is automatically an illegal alien, to make breathtakingly stupid remarks about black people, and to make stereotypically racist comments about Jews.

When it comes to brain-dead, good ol' boy racism, you're a true renaissance man.

Here on the home of chimpanzee liberal numbnuts such as yourself, that's quite a compliment.

I don't like stupid people. Makes no difference their skin color.

Illegal aliens or gang bangers or politically correct types. Me no like.

Yeah, I just called you stupid, Set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:30 am
Given that the ignorance of your rants is self-evident, no one could seriously believe that i care what you call me . . . racist.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:32 am
Thanks. Getting called a racist by an idiot is a compliment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:33 am
I would reply that i'm sure that you think so, however, i have good reason to assume that it were inappropriate to ascribe any exercise of thought to you.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:34 am
I think Set scored some really good ****....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:36 am
See . . . that's what i mean. It is never appropriate for you to use the verb "to think."
0 Replies