Did you hear the one about the hobo and the frat boy?

JPB

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:49 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Any time we discuss the appropriateness of a punishment we must first ask ourselves: what purpose does punishment serve in this case? In general, punishment can serve five permissible purposes: incapacitation/incarceration; deterrence; retribution; restitution; and rehabilitation.

<snip>

Likewise, the crime is so unusual that a longer jail term wouldn't really enhance the deterrent effect of the punishment. Grimes, after all, is now a convicted felon, a not inconsiderable burden that he will carry for the rest of his life. For people like him, that's likely enough to deter him and others from committing crimes like this one in the future.

I'm back to deterrence coupled with retribution. It seems that this crime is not so unusual after all. Given the admission of others that "messing with bums" was more commonplace than this single event, and the fact the Grimes was the individual who supplied the ammo to at least one other individual who wanted to play the game, leads me to want a stronger deterrent message than 150 days in jail and three years probation -- particularly when there are minimum sentencing guidelines in place.

The choice seems to have been a minimum of 5 years vs not more than 180 days with probation per Oregon law. If it comes down to a choice between the two, I'd swing with the stronger statement of deterrence and retribution vs the lesser.

I did notice that the media reports refer to him as a past student at OSU and past member of AGR. He seems to have withdrawn from OSU, voluntarily or otherwise.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:56 am
Debra Law wrote:
The Oregon State Legislature determined that armed offenders are subject to a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years. Is there an exception to the mandatory minimum sentencing statute for frat boys who shoot hobos?

Yes there is, if those frat boys are first-time offenders:
    161.610 Enhanced penalty for use of firearm during commission of felony; pleading; minimum penalties; suspension or reduction of penalty. ... (4) The minimum terms of imprisonment for felonies having as an element the defendant's use or threatened use of a firearm in the commission of the crime shall be as follows: (a) Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section, upon the first conviction for such felony, five years, except that if the firearm is a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or is equipped with a firearms silencer, the term of imprisonment shall be 10 years. (b) Upon conviction for such felony committed after punishment pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subsection or subsection (5) of this section, 10 years, except that if the firearm is a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or is equipped with a firearms silencer, the term of imprisonment shall be 20 years. (c) Upon conviction for such felony committed after imprisonment pursuant to paragraph (b) of this subsection, 30 years. [b](5) If it is the first time that the defendant is subject to punishment under this section, rather than impose the sentence otherwise required by subsection (4)(a) of this section, the court may: ... (b) For felonies committed on or after November 1, 1989, impose a lesser sentence in accordance with the rules of the Oregon Criminal Justice Commission.[/b]

Source.

Debra Law wrote:
Frat boy or not, the defendant was an armed offender. If the victim had been a child rather than a hobo, this armed offender probably wouldn't be the recipient of a slap-on-the-wrist-is-sufficient mentality.

That may be so, but then we don't punish people based upon the crime that they could have committed.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:02 am
JPB wrote:
I'm back to deterrence coupled with retribution.

Who exactly would you be deterring? Grimes? I think his punishment was sufficiently deterrent -- at least it was in the judge's view. The other frat boys? I would tend to believe that they will also think seriously about shooting bums in the future.

As for the retributive value of a harsher sentence, what is it?

JPB wrote:
It seems that this crime is not so unusual after all. Given the admission of others that "messing with bums" was more commonplace than this single event, and the fact the Grimes was the individual who supplied the ammo to at least one other individual who wanted to play the game, leads me to want a stronger deterrent message than 150 days in jail and three years probation -- particularly when there are minimum sentencing guidelines in place.

As I explained in my previous post, the mandatory minimum sentencing provisions don't apply to first-time offenders.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:22 am
Re: Did you hear the one about the hobo and the frat boy?
I agree with JPB that deterrence and retribution are two good reasons to throw the book at this joker. I also recognize that the processes of legislation of the criminal law and the "administration of justice" (the contention that courts administer justice is always problematic for me) are not necessarily the most effective avenues for addressing social inequity. However, i would like to point out that the following passage is the source of my recent spate of indignation:

Quote:
"I don't think it would do any good for this young man, who has grown up in a sheltered environment," wrote Kurt Sorenson, the School Resource Officer of the Sutherlin Police Department, "to be immersed into a culture of drug abuse and hatred. (Prison)"

I have remained unconvinced by Joe's arguments for the rectitude of the manner in which the judge has exercised his discretion. I don't deny that the judge has this discretion, or ought not to have it--i argue that is can, and in this case seems to have become, a tool for the protection of privilege. The remark quoted above inferentially suggests that those who have not "grown up in a sheltered environment" are fair game for being "immersed into a culture of drug abuse and hatred." That is a suggestion which disgusts me, and which i do not find consonant with the principles which Americans tout as underpinning our society.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:27 am
joefromchicago wrote:
JPB wrote:
I'm back to deterrence coupled with retribution.

Who exactly would you be deterring? Grimes? I think his punishment was sufficiently deterrent -- at least it was in the judge's view. The other frat boys? I would tend to believe that they will also think seriously about shooting bums in the future.

As for the retributive value of a harsher sentence, what is it?

Yes, the other frat boys or anyone else who thinks that shooting at people for sport (or to "mess with them" as it was stated) is an acceptable thing to do. Time will tell, of course, whether the boys in the frat house will switch over to paint balls, spit balls, rubber bands, or give up the practice of messing with bums altogether. You tend to believe the current sentence will be sufficient to prevent shooting, I'd like to see one that prevents "messing".

joefromchicago wrote:
JPB wrote:
It seems that this crime is not so unusual after all. Given the admission of others that "messing with bums" was more commonplace than this single event, and the fact the Grimes was the individual who supplied the ammo to at least one other individual who wanted to play the game, leads me to want a stronger deterrent message than 150 days in jail and three years probation -- particularly when there are minimum sentencing guidelines in place.

As I explained in my previous post, the mandatory minimum sentencing provisions don't apply to first-time offenders.

The key word for me is may. The minimum sentencing provisions do apply to first-time offenders at the discretion of the judge.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:11 pm
Re: Did you hear the one about the hobo and the frat boy?
Setanta wrote:
I agree with JPB that deterrence and retribution are two good reasons to throw the book at this joker.

Why?

Sorry for repeating this question, but no one seems to be able to answer it. Apart from perhaps assuaging our anger at the defendant, what retributive purpose does a harsher sentence serve?

Setanta wrote:
I have remained unconvinced by Joe's arguments for the rectitude of the manner in which the judge has exercised his discretion. I don't deny that the judge has this discretion, or ought not to have it--i argue that is can, and in this case seems to have become, a tool for the protection of privilege. The remark quoted above inferentially suggests that those who have not "grown up in a sheltered environment" are fair game for being "immersed into a culture of drug abuse and hatred." That is a suggestion which disgusts me, and which i do not find consonant with the principles which Americans tout as underpinning our society.

I don't know what testimony influenced the judge and what testimony didn't. For all we know, the testimony about the defendant's "sheltered environment" played no part in the judge's decision. He may have even issued the lighter sentence despite this testimony.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:13 pm
JPB wrote:
Yes, the other frat boys or anyone else who thinks that shooting at people for sport (or to "mess with them" as it was stated) is an acceptable thing to do. Time will tell, of course, whether the boys in the frat house will switch over to paint balls, spit balls, rubber bands, or give up the practice of messing with bums altogether. You tend to believe the current sentence will be sufficient to prevent shooting, I'd like to see one that prevents "messing".

I think both will be deterred. But, as you point out, time will tell.

JPB wrote:
The key word for me is may. The minimum sentencing provisions do apply to first-time offenders at the discretion of the judge.

Discretionary sentencing guidelines are, perforce, not mandatory sentencing guidelines.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:26 pm
Deterrence would be effected in that it would put others from "sheltered environments" on notice that they cannot expect to have a different, less onerous standard applied to their actions than the children of the working class and the poor. The retributive effect certainly has to do with someone being satisfied that the boy is being severely punished--i think the value of that lies more, however, in the reaction of the working class and the poor to this kind of incident than it does from any personal satisfaction that i may feel at a harsher sentence.

More than anyone else, i'm pissed at the idiotic joker from the Police Department who actually had the gall to make such a public statement.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:33 pm
Setanta's point about the sheltered background is what resonates most with me. I think it's very possible that a lot of people make stupid mistakes and if they were shown mercy by the court, they would in fact live out their lives without making another serious mistake.

I just think that a lot of those people are from poor, UNsheltered backgrounds. I think they are much less likely to get the second chance that was granted to this boy. That the second chance he got is specifically tied to his class and social position rankles.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 12:58 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

<snip>

(b) For felonies committed on or after November 1, 1989, impose a lesser sentence in accordance with the rules of the Oregon Criminal Justice Commission.

Frat boy is still an armed offender. What do the rules of the Oregon Criminal Justice Commission say about armed offenders?

Debra Law wrote:
Frat boy or not, the defendant was an armed offender. If the victim had been a child rather than a hobo, this armed offender probably wouldn't be the recipient of a slap-on-the-wrist-is-sufficient mentality.

JoefromChicago wrote:
That may be so, but then we don't punish people based upon the crime that they could have committed.

Whether the victim is a child or a bum, the crime committed is the same: it's an assault on another person with a dangerous weapon. You are effectively endorsing the view that frat boy's punishment for an assault on another person with a dangerous weapon ought to be mitigated because his victim was a bum. Accordingly, because you value frat boy as a person more than you value his victim as a person, frat boy should not be punished harshly.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 01:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
The retributive effect certainly has to do with someone being satisfied that the boy is being severely punished--i think the value of that lies more, however, in the reaction of the working class and the poor to this kind of incident than it does from any personal satisfaction that i may feel at a harsher sentence.

I agree with this from two different levels. The value of the retributive effect in the reaction of the working class and the poor in respect to both the value of the safety of the victim as determined by his social class, as well the value of the freedom given to the offender based on his.

Wondering if the judge made a statement during sentencing....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 01:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
Deterrence would be effected in that it would put others from "sheltered environments" on notice that they cannot expect to have a different, less onerous standard applied to their actions than the children of the working class and the poor.

Why won't the sentence handed down to Grimes deter them equally well?

Setanta wrote:
The retributive effect certainly has to do with someone being satisfied that the boy is being severely punished--i think the value of that lies more, however, in the reaction of the working class and the poor to this kind of incident than it does from any personal satisfaction that i may feel at a harsher sentence.

Well, why should we want him to be "severely punished?"

Setanta wrote:
More than anyone else, i'm pissed at the idiotic joker from the Police Department who actually had the gall to make such a public statement.

Do you punish the defendant for the idiotic statements made by one of his character witnesses?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 01:50 pm
Debra Law wrote:
Frat boy is still an armed offender. What do the rules of the Oregon Criminal Justice Commission say about armed offenders?

I have no idea.

Debra Law wrote:
Whether the victim is a child or a bum, the crime committed is the same: it's an assault on another person with a dangerous weapon. You are effectively endorsing the view that frat boy's punishment for an assault on another person with a dangerous weapon ought to be mitigated because his victim was a bum. Accordingly, because you value frat boy as a person more than you value his victim as a person, frat boy should not be punished harshly.

I neither said nor implied anything about the "value" of the victim or the relative worths of the victim and the defendant. You are totally out of line with this argument, Debra.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 01:55 pm
JPB wrote:
I agree with this from two different levels. The value of the retributive effect in the reaction of the working class and the poor in respect to both the value of the safety of the victim as determined by his social class, as well the value of the freedom given to the offender based on his.

By basing punishments of the rich on how the poor would react to those punishments, you're simply advocating that we replace lenient sentences for the rich and privileged with overly severe sentences for the rich and privileged. But I don't see how that's any less class-based and discriminatory than the system you criticize.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 02:07 pm
I've read this basic story in three or four other places over the last ten or twelve years or so: Kid grows up playing video games, aiming weapons and pulling triggers at space aliens, nazis, necromongers... and after ten or fifteen years of this, he's never seen a real arrow or a real bullet hit anything real until, one day, he picks up a real weapon and points it at somebody thinking that somehow or other no more harm would come of pulling the trigger than transpires in his video games:

Quote:

"Gee, officer, I just pulled the trigger, I didn't expect to see all this blood and bone fragments over the sidewalk, what the ****, must be somethin wrong with whoever made this fricking gun...."

Hate to say it... a hundred years ago when people showed kids how to use weapons and kids took rifles out in the field and shot rabbits for dinner, this problem didn't exist.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 03:14 pm
No, I'm saying that discretionary sentencing guidelines should be applied equally across classes. I don't know the history of this particular judge in how he tends to apply discretionary guidelines, but I agree with those who say that the sentence would probably not have been as lenient if it was handed down to an offender of lower class or had the victim held greater societal sympathy.

We're all making certain assumptions. You stated previously that you assume the judge was swayed by the content of the character witnesses' testimony. It's parts of that same testimony that rankles deepest. You also previously stated

Quote:
Well, I don't know the young man and I wasn't at the sentencing hearing, so I can only guess at what kind of risk he is. From the news reports, it sounds more like he was stupid than vicious. The notion that he was "hunting for sport" is just hyperbole, as far as I can tell.

Subsequent news reports indicate that "hunting for sport" is precisely what he was doing as well as aiding others in the endeavor by providing them ammo. I'll concede stupid, but I'm staying with vicious. Stupid, coupled with vicious does not pull on my leniency strings.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:35 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Debra Law wrote:

I neither said nor implied anything about the "value" of the victim or the relative worths of the victim and the defendant. You are totally out of line with this argument, Debra.

I think you did imply a difference. Debra compared shooting a bum and shooting a child. You then stated that one doesn't sentence based on the crime one "could have committed." That implies that crime would be different.

You may wish that you had not made a distinction, but you have.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:37 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Hate to say it... a hundred years ago when people showed kids how to use weapons and kids took rifles out in the field and shot rabbits for dinner, this problem didn't exist.

Gunga's an advocate of gun control. Who knew?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:52 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Why won't the sentence handed down to Grimes deter them equally well?

I'm really surprised that you ask such a question--because such characters as frat boys like him might think the possible thrill of taking pot shots at "hobos" would be worth the price of some probation and community service, especially given that most people who commit criminal activities usually do so in the belief that they won't themselves be caught. However, that misplaced confidence might weigh less with those who consider that if they are caught, they might do five years of hard time.

Quote:
Well, why should we want him to be "severely punished?"

Because of the nature of his crime, and especially because of his callous attitude, inferred from his behavior after the incident. Besides, you are playing a rhetorical game here, ignoring that my call for his sentence to be severe is predicated upon a conviction on my part that he suffer as much as anyone else convicted of an offense under the same relevant statutes, who didn't grow up in a "sheltered environment," and whose circumstances did not afford him the opportunity to trot out a string of middle class character witnesses. Frankly, i get a picture of an arrogant and overbearing frat boy, and that as much as anything else makes a severe punishment seem attractive to me.

Of course, were you willing to suggest that no other person convicted of offenses against the same statutes ought to be severely punished, then i'd admit the equity of not severely punishing this boy.

Quote:
Do you punish the defendant for the idiotic statements made by one of his character witnesses?

No, nor is there any reason for you to assume that i have said as much. This is another feeble rhetorical trick. The remark of mine which you quoted was merely a comment on the clown who made the statement to which i objected, and was not offered in justification of a sentence of any type for the convicted defendant.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:31 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I think you did imply a difference. Debra compared shooting a bum and shooting a child. You then stated that one doesn't sentence based on the crime one "could have committed." That implies that crime would be different.

Of course the crimes would be different. In an earlier post, I asked Setanta: "I agree that everyone should pay the same price for the same crime. But then, what crimes are identical?" Let me answer that rhetorical question: no crimes are identical. If the defendant in this case went out tomorrow and shot the same hobo in the same leg with the same gun, it still wouldn't be the same crime. A principal difference, for instance, would be that Grimes wouldn't be committing his first offense the second time around. And that has nothing to do with the "value" of the victim and everything to do with the defendant.

I have no idea what the circumstances would be if Grimes had shot a child instead of a homeless person, because that would be a different crime. But it wouldn't be a different merely because the identity of the victim was different. It would be different because it would be a different crime.

My point was that we don't, as a society, judge defendants based upon the crimes that they could have committed. Grimes wasn't charged with murder because he could have killed his victim, and I'm sure you'd say that it would be unjust to have a system that did that.

DrewDad wrote:
You may wish that you had not made a distinction, but you have.

No, I made a distinction, just not the one you wish I had.
0 Replies