Pdf Files

Quincy

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 01:59 pm
There is this pdf file on the net:
http://www.phy.uct.ac.za/courses/phy1004w/thermal/thermal1.pdf

And I want to re-arrange the slides, such that I can print six on a page (rather than one one a page, or worse, copying down the notes...).
It needs to be like these notes (also pdf):
http://www.phy.uct.ac.za/courses/phy1004w/week7-6up.pdf

Is there any simple way to do this? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 927 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:13 pm
Yes. Open the first file, go File, Print, then under Page Scaling, select Multiple Pages, then a new box will pop up and you can select the number of pages per sheet - type in 6, and it will look like the other link you sent.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:23 pm
I'm sorry, Page Scaling? I cant find it, I use Internet Explorer?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:24 pm
I use IE, also. You have to click into the link and have your cursor on the page you want to print. Try that and come back, ok? The page scaling box only comes up when you're ON THAT PAGE; it's not normally an option.

It's under the page option and is called Page Handling and normally it's set to "Fit to Printer Margins" - change it to Multiple Pages Per Sheet... when you do, another couple of boxes come up and you can choose how many pages you want printed on the one page.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:38 pm
Crying or Very sad I dont get it! I'm sorry, Im a bit thick....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:40 pm
what are you not getting?
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:48 pm
Well, this will sound stupid:
How do you have your cursor over the page if I want to print multiple pages, and my cursor needs to clicking File=>Print etc.?
It's under page option? Is that in page setup? Or when you click Print? I cant find it there...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 03:08 pm
Okay, when you open the first link you sent, you'll see a hand on the professor's page. Good. THat means you are in the page.

Now, move your cursor over to the extreme top left corner of your screen - the IE screen. Under File, go down to Print... and follow the rest of my instructions. (Page Handling, change to Multiple Pages... etc).

It works - it did for me.

Let me know, ok? I'm not going anywhere for a little bit. Or if I do, I'll be back.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 03:21 pm
I just cant find this page handling. I'll try again tomorrow; I still have some work to do, thanks for your help & time anyway.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 03:53 pm
Here's how I do it:

Open your PDF file by clicking on the link.

Move your cursor to a place inside the document then right-click the mouse button and click Print (or move cursor to a place inside the document then press Control-P)

This brings up the print setup screen. In the lower left section of it is box titled "page handling."

Change the number of copies to 6, then change the page scaling from "fit to printable area" to "multiple pages per sheet" Do this by clicking on the arrow to open the chooser list.

Click OK. Now you are all set for printing and it will print 6 items on one page
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:21 pm
Butrflynet, your instructions are essentially the same as mine and if they work for him and mine don't, you can officially be the Computer Help Desk Person.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 04:53 pm
I am so sorry, I just cant find this "page handling"

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4708/pdfvp4.jpg
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 12:41 pm
Someone please help this is getting desperate!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 06:37 pm
you are right quincy print handling is not there. it is definitly available for me. Try this it may lead some where.

right click select document properties, select advanced,... is there a selectable option that can change the preset options in the printer dialog box? (print dialog presets)

adobe help says this:

Quote:
Multiple Pages Per Sheet Enables N-up printing, where multiple pages print on the same sheet of paper. If this option is selected, you can also specify settings for Pages Per Sheet, Page Order, Print Page Border, and Auto-Rotate Pages.

Note: N-up printing in Acrobat is independent of the N-up printing features of printer drivers. The Acrobat print settings don't reflect the N-up settings of the printer drivers. Select N-up printing either in Acrobat or in the printer driver, but not both.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:02 pm
Is your printer on a network ie multiple computers using the one printer?

Also check this out I found it in Microsoft help and support center by searching for multiple pages per sheet. click start, click control panel.

Quote:
To print multiple pages on one sheet of paper, your printer must support this feature, and you must have the Print permission, which is one of several printer permissions. For more information, click Related Topics.

Open Printers and Faxes.
Right-click the icon for the printer you are using, and then click Printing Preferences.
On the Layout tab, click the number of pages you want to print on a sheet in Pages Per Sheet.
A representation of your selection will appear in the display area of the dialog box.

Notes

To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Printers and Faxes.
Any changes you make in Printing Preferences will alter the default document settings for the printer and will affect all documents you send to the printer. To change print settings for individual documents from within a program, click Page Setup (or Print Setup) on the program's File menu, and then make selections.
For information about setting the printing default for all users connected to the printer, click Related Topics.

From related topics

Quote:
Security permissions for printingWhen a printer is installed on a network, default printer permissions are assigned that allow all users to print, and allow select groups to manage the printer, the documents sent to it, or both. Because the printer is available to all users on the network, you might want to limit access for some users by assigning specific printer permissions. For example, you could give all nonadministrative users in a department the Print permission and give all managers the Print and Manage Documents permissions. In this way, all users and managers can print documents, but managers can also change the print status of any document sent to the printer.

Windows provides three levels of printing security permissions: Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents. When multiple permissions are assigned to a group of users, the least restrictive permissions apply. However, when Deny is applied, it takes precedence over any permission. The following is a brief explanation of the types of tasks a user can perform at each permission level.

I hope some of this is helpfull
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:20 pm
quincy I have downloaded your file and changed its properties to reflect 6 pages per sheet.

If you pm me your email address I will send/email it to you.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:11 pm
Thank you so very much dadpad. I can not send you a pm as the able2know tells me I have not been on this board long enough to be able to use that function. I could just post my e-mail address in a post like this if you wanted.
I tried your other tips:
Right-clicking-- took me no-where, document properties doesnt come up.
And no, the printer is not on a network.
I am at a loss; could it be that I am using Windows XP? Or could it be that I am using Adobe Acrobat 5.0, which I am quite sure is not the latest edition?
I would very much like you to e-mail me the file, but I cant ask you or someone else every time I need to print notes. Should I just post my e-mail address? And once again thank you very much for everything.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:45 am
quincey I use XP service pack 2 If you do not have service pack 2 i suggest you update.

I use adobe reader 8 so it may be good to update your version to 8 as well. I think this is where the problem is.

Adobe reader 8 is available here.
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

With such a big jump in versions you may need to add/remove adobe 5 before you download adobe reader 8. Its free! Uncheck the trial version of adobe photoshop album unless you really want it before downloading.

To remove adobe reader 5
<control> <add> scroll to adobe reader and click remove. Once it has finished restart your computer and download a fresh copy of reader 8.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:58 pm
That new version does the trick, and it looks really snazzy to boot! Thank you so very much for all your help dadpad!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:53 pm
Glad to have been of some (very small) assistance quincy.
0 Replies