Former Presidents' Future Political Possibilities.

Sofia

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 11:29 pm
Is there a law prohibiting a former President from running for state, local or other representative office--or from being Vice-President?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,008 • Replies: 41
No top replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:35 am
Sofia, it is my understanding that former Presidents are able to run for whatever office they so choose. In fact, the law passed resulting from FDR's 3rd term merely states that presidents may not serve more than 2 consecutive terms; inference being that Wm J. Clinton, for example, could in fact run for President in 2004 since that would obviously not qualify as consecutive. What a fine kettle of fish that would be Rolling Eyes !

I tried to google on this, but got nowhere.

We need a legal ruling here, lawyer-types...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 01:15 am
The prohibition is, as far as I remember, not limited to consecutive terms. Clinton can't be president again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 04:35 am
Section I, Amendment XXII:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Clinton cannot run again. Ten years or two terms, that's it. As for other office, John Quincy Adams served in the House of Representatives after having been President, and William Howard Taft sat on the Supreme Court. They can run for dog catcher if they want, just not president again.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 05:57 am
Re: Former Presidents' Future Political Possibilities.
Sofia wrote:
Is there a law prohibiting a former President from running for state, local or other representative office...?

Nope. JQ Adams was Speaker of the House after the Presidency, and in fact had a stroke in the chamber and died a coupla days later. Federal Justice is another good second career for a Prez - William Howard Taft was the Chief Justice after being Prez.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:22 am
Setanta, I thought that was no more than two consecutive terms. I do think that Clinton could run again should he so choose.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:24 am
No, it's not an issue of consecutive terms. No third term, period. The law says nothing about consecutiveness (if there is such a word). It just says, no more than 2 terms.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:25 am
Geeze, girls, read . . . i've posted the text of Article I of the 22nd Amendment--the "FDR" amendment.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:32 am
Hmmm - we have no such law for Prime Ministers...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:32 am
But Clinton may, of course, be First Gentleman....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:42 am
Yes, and there would be the added delightful feature that if Hillary is elected, conservatives all over the nation will fill their pants.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:53 am
Shocked Well, my Gawd, Setanta and Jes, You are absolutely and 100% correct. All this time I had thought it was "consecutive"...Just found out that Bill Clinton wanted to amend the Constitution so that the 22nd amendment read two consecutive terms.

Apologies--apologies--apologies Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:55 am
If all the conservatives in the USA feel the need to wash their pants all at once, the planet's water table will drop disastrously, and Australia will perish...

It probably means something really bad for the whales too...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:06 am
P.S. but Clinton could hold the office of Vice President and then become president through the line of succession.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:22 am
Someone would have to die first!

or - be very naughty.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:24 am
Letty wrote:
P.S. but Clinton could hold the office of Vice President and then become president through the line of succession.

Nope, he'd be passed over and the job would go to the Speaker of the House, if he were VP and the Prez. passed away or became incapacitated.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:28 am
It was Doonesbury, was it not, that used to feature a looming, post-Watergate Nixon, eternally faithful that, one day, they would call him back...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:34 am
jespah

Quote:
Nope, he'd be passed over and the job would go to the Speaker of the House, if he were VP and the Prez. passed away or became incapacitated.

Than I wonder why allow him to be vice president since the main purpose of the vice presidency is to serve in the event of the president being incapacitated or in the event of his demise. Could it have been an oversight?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:47 am
Jes, the line of succession begins with the Vice President of the U.S. Let's say, for example, that Hillary is president and Bill is Veep. Then let's hypothesize that Hillary is killed in an accident. The VP would then become president. I had a link all ready to post, but somehow it didn't work properly. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:13 am
Jespah, i believe the Secretary of State trumps the Speaker of the House. I'll go look, later . . .
0 Replies