Ink cartridges

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:24 pm
I get mine from www.inkgrabber.com and haven't had any problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 557 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:44 pm
False Economy
As a general rule, generic cartridges or no-name cartridges are actually NOT economical overall. They might cost initially 25-60% less (e.g. Carrott brand), but they deliver poorly in quality and quantity. They cause you to HAVE to run the cleaning cycle far more, have FAR more impurities and clog your printer quicker. The amount you initially save up front is eaten up quickly over the time you use it up.

Every time you run the clean cycle, the money you HAD saved is lost. Also, over the time of printer ownership, all these clogs can ruin the printhead and prematurely wear it out (Epson particularly as the print head is not cost effective to replace).

If you have any doubt about the validity of what I'm saying (prof. photog., former desktop publisher and engineer), look up the article in Sept. 2005 Consumer Reports article about ink-jet cartridges which will explain this whole issue well.

About.com link to article on inkjet cartridges:

http://printscan.about.com/b/a/194435.htm
Hyperink to CR article:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/printers/offbrand-ink-cartridges-905/overview/index.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=1&searchTerm=cartridges
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:40 pm
Ink cartridges
The ones I get from Inkgrabber are Canon cartridges.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:48 pm
not much savings even for Name Brand
Well, that sheds a slightly different light on matters, but ...

Please pardon me for appearing to be nit-picky:

Are these discounted cartridges made by Canon for Canon model printers or generic cartridges that will work with Canon model printers?

If they're made by Canon for Canon models, then it's been my experience that you might save 10% over the cost at a local chain store such as Office Max or Staples. that of course would not include the State Sales Tax and Shipping costs to get the product to your door.

My Epson printer carts are about $30 locally. When purchased online with site like InkGrabber, I save about $2 per cartridge -- not worth the time and effort. Then there's the mailing list and increases in spam I often get.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 02:50 pm
Or they are refilled.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:42 pm
Ink cartridges
The ones I get are made by Canon specifically for Canon printers. I wait until a sale comes along, and take advantage of that. I can't say how much I save exactly, but with no taxes, and sometimes free shipping, it seems worthwhile to me.

I could order from Staples, but then there's the tax, as well as a definitely higher price. Of course, Staples would have free delivery - it doesn't take many cartridges to get the advantage of their free delivery. But a $5 or $10 saving on a shipment never hurts...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:48 am
Any amount of savings on anything you already buy never hurts! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:54 am
Ink cartridges
My printer requires 5 cartridges, so a refill with the $2 saving you mention would come to $10 right there. And if, for convenience, you order more than one set, well, Ragman, you've got a tidy advantage right there, if you hit a shipping-free sale.
0 Replies