PLEASE my dog I need to know how to do CPR ANYONE

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:35 pm
hmm.. sounds like you were juggling quite a bit there..
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:40 pm
So....
how's the dog?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:45 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
CPR rules have changed??
Since when?

It was reported on quite widely about 6 - 8 weeks ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/16/health/webmd/main2579427.shtml

Quote:
Mouth-To-Mouth CPR Not So Helpful?
Study: Chest Compression Best Resuscitation For Cardiac Arrest

Quote:
Now, for adults who suddenly collapse, there's powerful evidence that chest compression alone is far better than doing nothing. In fact, the new evidence suggests that by interrupting lifesaving chest compressions, mouth-to-mouth resuscitation may do more harm than good.

The striking evidence comes from Ken Nagao, M.D., of Surugadai Nihon University Hospital in Tokyo, and colleagues. The researchers took a careful look at what happened to 4,068 adults who had an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest witnessed by bystanders.

<monster>

Quote:

"This study just confirms what has pretty much become common knowledge," CPR researcher Alfred Hallstrom, Ph.D., of the University of Washington in Seattle, tells WebMD. "We did a randomized trial of compressions vs. CPR, and the results indicated that the compression-only technique was better. Subsequently, labs have done animal studies suggesting the same thing."

"This does not surprise me one bit," CPR researcher Joseph W. Heidenreich, M.D., of Texas A&M Health Science Center, tells WebMD. "This is what all of us who have done CPR research have suspected for years. This is amazing data. Primarily, what people who suffer cardiac arrest need are chest compressions."

<snip>

Quote:

Quote:

And the compression-only technique applies only to adult patients. Children are far more likely to have stopped breathing than to have suffered a sudden cardiac arrest. This means they far more often need mouth-to-mouth resuscitation than adults do.

if you can tell if it was a heart attack v stopping breathing, you know what to do next
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:49 pm
Wow.
I really need to get a TV.

I had NO CLUE this had changed.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:52 pm
Ah, the dog?

How is the dog?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:54 pm
My dog is okay. Thank you for asking caribou.

Maybe something else good came out of the post after all. That the cpr rules changed. I didn't know that.

As far as wanting attention, I would NEVER use my dog to do that. I care more about my dog then you could even imagine.
What some of you wrote was just plain cruel so I hope you think about it before you are so quick to judge next time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:55 pm
You are right, shewolf on the name-o-game.

It's true, dogs can choke on this and that...

much as Pacco might get into pigs ears (Oy!) I just don't go there.
He had trouble once, that was it.

On CPR, yes it did change, but I'm busy reading threads in procrastination of doing a drawing, hmm, only 8 o'clock.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:58 pm
Boo!

Co

emphasis on Boo!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:03 pm
TTH wrote:
What some of you wrote was just plain cruel so I hope you think about it before you are so quick to judge next time.

Right. Because when your dog is having an emergency, the sensible thing to do is put a question up on a message board, where you KNOW it's going to take a couple minutes to get a response. Rather than, I don't know....calling the operater for local vets....google vets in your town...you're right. Why would you ever get any criticism?

Glad to hear the dog is ok though.

I borrowed my step brother's dog today and took him to the park. It was fun. Then I got to return him, and not have to worry about feeding him, or any of that stuff.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:03 pm
None of the avatar pictures felt right except for the one I am keeping now.
That is my dog.

I need to read up on the new rules for cpr ehBeth (thank you for posting that). Maybe take a refresher course too.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:06 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
TTH wrote:

Right. Because when your dog is having an emergency, the sensible thing to do is put a question up on a message board, where you KNOW it's going to take a couple minutes to get a response. Rather than, I don't know....calling the operater for local vets....google vets in your town...you're right. Why would you ever get any criticism?

Glad to hear the dog is ok though.

I borrowed my step brother's dog today and took him to the park. It was fun. Then I got to return him, and not have to worry about feeding him, or any of that stuff.

Well for your information when I suffered a seizure 911 was called. They could not even figure out with an address where I was. If it wasn't for a nurse, a police officer and doctor there at the time I might have drowned since it happened at a Marina on a dock.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 06:43 am
TTH wrote:

She is my first dog and I never had the need to look up what to do in case a dog stops breathing. I did not have my vet's # handy. I opened her mouth and could see an obstruction but could not reach it with my hands to get it.Also you don't call 911 for an animal.

It is nice to read how mean people can be by what you wrote and how you judge someone.

First of all, you should always have your vets number handy. Mine is on speed dial.

If you don't know animal first aid, at least you can call someone who does.

You should have done your homework before taking on the responsibility of the life of an animal.

Not only should you have those numbers handy, you should also know where the nearest 24 hour animal hospital is.

My current dog is my first too for the record.

As for people being cruel, well the truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it?

As well, I am glad the dog is ok.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:12 am
Bella you are a cruel and sadistic mistress of pain.... I like that...
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 09:47 am
Bella Dea wrote:
First of all, you should always have your vets number handy. Mine is on speed dial.

If you don't know animal first aid, at least you can call someone who does.

You should have done your homework before taking on the responsibility of the life of an animal.

Not only should you have those numbers handy, you should also know where the nearest 24 hour animal hospital is.

My current dog is my first too for the record.

As for people being cruel, well the truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it?

As well, I am glad the dog is ok.

Done homework on being a dog owner? I did research, but a person can't think of everything.

I have seen mothers pick up their child to hold him/her after a fall where the child has broken their arm. I argued with a mother not to move her child but she wouldn't listen. You don't move the person (child or not).
It could actually kill the person by moving them.

People don't know how they are going to respond in an emergency. I did what I thought was best at the time. As you notice I never made another post after I asked on the computer. I needed to turn my attention to my dog. The vet said what I did was fine since it took me 15 minutes to drive there. He said I probably saved her since most people don't know to blow air into the animal's nostril, not their mouth.

So, my dog is OKAY. THANKS to all those who asked. My speed dial on my phone has other #'s due to my spouse's occupation.

Something good did come out of this because ehBeth said cpr rules have changed.

btw I didn't notice what dog snot tastes like. A person doesn't think of that at the time. Now it is funny though.

Yes, the truth hurts, that is life. There was no reason for name calling IMO. For the ones who called me names, that is okay with me because sometimes I am a moron, idiot, stupid etc. but try to learn from my mistakes and others too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 10:02 am
I'm sorry for calling you names.

I apologize. It was uncalled for. There is no justifying it however, I've seen way too many bad owners who think that having an animal is a part time job. The animal suffers because the owner doesn't think.

I am not saying you are a bad owner. We all make mistakes.

The mother who doesn't know basic first aid also gets my frown. I fully intend on taking a first aid class prior to my baby being born because you just never know, and I'd hate for my ignorance to harm my child.

I just hope that you will remember this incident and perhaps educate youself a little better (get your vets number handy and find a nearby emergency hospital)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 10:24 am
Bella Dea
You could not pay me to take my animal to the emergency clinics here.
They don't care about the animals. They almost killed my cat then lied about it.

My sister took her dog there with a huge open wound, the dog was howling in pain and losing blood. Because my sister did not have cash on her they wouldn't treat her dog.

She immediately drove to the other clinic (we only have two 24 hours ones) in the area. This clinic made her wait. Her dog was dieing because of the blood loss, not to mention he was in great pain. One vet. was walking out and my sister asked for help. The vet said their shift was over and left without a care.

Sometimes it is all about money. My sister could pay. She just didn't have the cash on hand.

One of the vets there did care though. I know him myself and he does care. He immediately took my sister's dog and saved her dog.

In the state where I live animals have very few rights. They are worth basically nothing where the law is concerned. We (voters) are trying to change that. Animals should not be treated that way. I am not talking about lawsuits either (sometimes it does come down to that). I am talking about laws to protect the animals against people who purposely hurt them and torture them.
I am one who won't give up. I will just keep trying.

btw no need to apologize for name-calling. I just felt instead of calling someone names put yourself in their shoes.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 05:43 pm
Bella Dea
You can't prepare for everything, not even for your child.
People make mistakes, they are human.
Some with the best intentions have accidently killed their own child.
I hope that you or no one else is ever put in that situation.

Reality, it will happen again, just different circumstances.

I do know someone personally that their child was killed by their mistake.
This person could not have prepared themself for what happened. It ended up ruining their marriage (blame, guilt etc) and basically their life and others in their family.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:50 am
For the record, animals do not have rights, even though animal cruelty is illegal in all fifty states. There is a difference. As Dr. Bob Miller says, "Animals have no rights. Humans have responsibilities." Folks have a really bad habit of carrying anthropomorphism to extremes. When this happens, it makes me feel glad that, since I no longer own my own practice, I am now limited to cattle work. Lots more reality, much less stress, a whole helluva lot more common sense on the part of the owner, generally.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:50 am
True, but learning basic first aid and cpr is something I can control.

You can control some things in your life and I fully intend on controling the things I can. I can't make sure nothing ever happens but I can be as prepared as possible.

It's the least I can do for my child.

You can make every excuse in the world as to why you didn't know what you should have but in the end if you didn't do everything in your power to prevent something bad from happening....well, that's just irresponsible. And I don't take raisng a child lightly.

I can't control the world outside my home but I can protect my child inside of it.

And you should feel some of that toward your animal. Your home should be a safe haven. Not somewhere that by chance your animal survives.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:51 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I can't control the world outside my home but I can protect my child inside of it.........

Not, necessarily so. You THINK you can. I can't explain further than that.
I would if I could. It is good that you are aware. I wish you and your child the best. That I mean with sincerity.
0 Replies