MY SPACE_ COSTS DEANS LIST STUDENT HER DEGREE

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:19 am
A local college denied a young lady the degree she had earned because of an "unprofessional "photo of her supposedly drinking at a Halloween Party. The woman earned a BS degree in teaching and earned her teaching certificate. The college, deciede that her deportment should cost her a career that she worked quite hard to attain. The state puts out these silly requirements as to what a public school teacher needs to get their "ticket punched" and then , makes up rules as they go on impacts that technology may have on ones private life. The good news is that the lady is suing the college and I hope she wins and that the jury doesnt follow recompense guidelines.
Quote:
LancasterOnline Keyword

Web photo haunts graduate
MU sued for denying degree

By Brett Lovelace, Staff
Intelligencer Journal

Published: Apr 27, 2007 3:17 AM EST

MILLERSVILLE, Pa. - A 27-year-old Millersville University graduate filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday against the college for denying her an education degree and teaching certificate after a controversial Internet photograph surfaced last year shortly before graduation.

The picture shows Stacy Snyder of Strasburg wearing a pirate hat while drinking from a plastic "Mr. Goodbar" cup. The photograph taken during a 2005 Halloween party was posted on Snyder's MySpace Web page with the caption "Drunken Pirate."

"The day before graduation, the college confronted me about the picture," Snyder said Thursday. "I was told I wouldn't be receiving my education degree or teaching certificate because the photo was 'unprofessional.' "

Snyder said she apologized for the photograph, but Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, and Provost Vilas A. Prabhu refused to issue the bachelor of science degree in education and teaching certificate Snyder earned.

Instead, the college issued Snyder a bachelor of arts degree in English.

Millersville University spokesperson Janet Kacskos referred questions to the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education spokesman Kenn Marshall, who declined comment.

Snyder, a single mother of boys ages 9 and 7, works as a nanny for a family in Lititz.

"I dreamed about being a teacher for a long time," Snyder said. "When I was growing up, I spent more time with my teachers than my own parents, and it inspired me to someday make a positive impact on children."

Attorney Mark W. Voigt of Plymouth Meeting filed the lawsuit after failing to negotiate a hearing with Prabhu and Bray.

"Stacy deserves to be a teacher," Voigt said Thursday. "The bottom line is we want the college to bestow the degree and teaching certificate that Stacy earned during four years of hard work and sacrifice."

The lawsuit also seeks $75,000 in compensatory damages.

The university, Bray, Prabhu and professor/student-teacher supervisor J. Barry Girvin are named in the suit.

Voight writes in the lawsuit that Snyder, a dean's list student, performed her student-teaching requirements in 2006 at Conestoga Valley High School.

Teachers Deann Buffington and Nicole Reinking advised Snyder.

On May 8, Buffington called Snyder at home about an "issue" about her "professionalism" as a teacher, according to the lawsuit.

Reinking viewed the "Drunken Pirate" picture of Snyder on myspace.com and showed it to Buffington.

Buffington gave it to Girvin, who told Snyder "she may lose her teaching certificate due to the incident," according to the lawsuit.

Girvin also issued a final student/teacher evaluation of Snyder and granted "superior" or "competent" ratings in all areas except "professionalism." He gave Snyder and "unsatisfactory" rating, according to the lawsuit.

"There were errors in judgment that relate to Pennsylvania's Code of Professional Practice and Conduct for Educators," Girvin wrote in the evaluation.

On May 11, Girvin, Buffington and Reinking showed the "Drunken Pirate" photograph to Snyder, according to the lawsuit.

Buffington told Snyder that posting the photograph on the Internet was "unprofessional" and Conestoga Valley students might find it offensive.

Buffington also accused Snyder of "incompetence" and "claimed she should have been removed from her student-teaching position months ago."

Conestoga Valley officials told the college their students wouldn't be allowed to perform student-teacher requirements there if Snyder was not punished, according to the lawsuit.

Bray met with Snyder May 12. She accused Snyder of "promoting underage drinking through her 'drunken pirate' photo. Bray then stripped Snyder of her education degree and teaching certification, according to the lawsuit.

Snyder graduated the next day with an English degree.

We attend routine discussion groups at the U where I teach as adjunct. We are requested to consider the ramifications of maintaining web pages only about our professional goings on and dont trust anyone to NOT spread a picture about. However, to post a photo on your own "My Space" site, shows a lack of understanding of what professional anonymity can mean, Ill bet that the college did not have a technology and ethics section in its curriculum.
However, truth be told, Many of us in a lot worse photos from our past that Im forever grateful that these places like You=Tube and My Space werent available in the 70's and 80's.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,545 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:33 am
I agree. I hope she not only wins her case but bankrupts that college.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:41 am
This will be interesting to follow. She paid for and earned her education/degree. I don't understand by law how they can hold her degree. Any employer may avoid hiring her due to her My Space photo, but I can't see where the university has a right to withold a degree the day before she graduates. She was a customer of the university. They were not her employer.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:48 am
Yes, hoping she wins and makes them regret their decision dearly.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:49 am
(And they wonder why there's a shortage of teachers.. lousy pay, one of the hardest jobs around, and if at any time during your training you behave less than saint-like, they withhold your degree..)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:24 am
aS YOU CAN AEE, ALL HER PROGRESS REPORTS AND FITNESS WERE "oUTTANDING". sHE MAINTAINED deans list for all her 4 years and , thanks to some piece of tech that she did not understand well, she is made to suffer mightily. If I were her, would I really try to hose the University? I believe I would since my career will be be pretty much over as she has already served her teaching "apprenticeship" and was given an unsatisfacory for this single item. It will have a clear effect on her employability.

Teaching is, after all, a certification program, not only a degree, so Sheel need to acquire a certiificate somwhere.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 12:11 pm
Have state authorities stepped in to investigate whether or not the university administrators are mentally retarded? It's been my experience that many people who find their way into administration--both k-12 and college--are, and most of those who aren't must have the portion of their brain responsible for basic human empathy and common sense surgically removed.

You can't tell from the picture that she's even (a) drinking alcohol or (b) inebriated (not that either should matter). The folks at the university are either mentally retarded or impaired by years of crack use.

Out here, the school district has a clause in the contract that allows them to remove a teacher for damaging the public's faith in public education, but that's used mainly to keep teachers from moonlighting as strippers at one of the local "gentlemen's clubs" or as prostitutes in a neighboring county where that's legal.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 01:03 pm
She's just a dirty pirate hooker. She should go back to her home on whore island.

Seriously...that's insane. She's drinking from a cup! OH NO! The school is going to lose on this one.

I have a picture of me practically dry-humping a mannequin, and another dressed on Halloween as a Speical Olympics contestant. Hopefully these do not hinder my professional career. Thankfully for this country I am not a school teacher.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:27 pm
OMFG...are these people idiots? Evil or Very Mad

The only mistake this poor girl has made is attending a university where the administration has nothing better to do than to hang out on My Space looking at pictures! The pervs.... Evil or Very Mad

Maybe she should claim that she took a sip but didn't swallow. It worked for Clinton when he "didn't inhale" and he became president.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:42 pm
Quoting the article -

Bray met with Snyder May 12. She accused Snyder of "promoting underage drinking through her 'drunken pirate' photo. Bray then stripped Snyder of her education degree and teaching certification, according to the lawsuit.

Looks like she had been about to be certified...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:47 pm
Maybe , after the "drunken sailor " title , she should have inserted a qualifier like
"If you can read this , thank a teacher"

I think she was hoodwinked by some cruel "friends".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:54 pm
I still can't get over this, it's really unbelievable. Or, I guess I believe it, but it's ridiculous.

Bella had a thread a while ago that this reminds me of.... I'll give a link if I remember what the thread was. Something about a school either suspending or not admitting students with My Space membership on their home computers.
0 Replies