Iraq: Insecurity Driving Women Indoors

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 12:24 pm
Quote:
New York, July 16, 2003
The insecurity plaguing Baghdad and other Iraqi cities has a distinct and debilitating impact on the daily lives of women and girls, preventing them from participating in public life at a crucial time in their country's history, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today.

link to article in
Human Rights News

And an article in the Christian Science Monitor starts like this
Quote:

An unstable postwar Iraq is testing the fortitude of many Iraqis - but the challenges are especially acute for women. While ongoing violence is keeping some women from going out at all, others are pushing their way into the public arena and grasping the opportunity to reshape their country.

(For complete article follow the link above!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,315 • Replies: 9
No top replies

unknown man

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:18 pm
At least some women are taking part, that is a plus.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:04 pm
Walter - These reports suggest to me that we need to tighten the noose around the element that is attacking Iraqis in an effort to destabilize the country. What do they suggest to you?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:19 pm
Well, the other day a heard a report about some Iraqui women association: they had more freedom and possibilties under the Saddam regime, they said.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, the other day a heard a report about some Iraqui women association: they had more freedom and possibilties under the Saddam regime, they said.

I don't doubt that you heard that, but then I recall lots of people complaining after the fall of communism in the former USSR, claiming that their lot was better under the communists. I don't think you will find too many people making that claim today. Whatever short-term limitations these women may perceive, are most likely not indicative of their long-term prospects in a freer Iraq.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:44 pm
This wasn't about politics as we may understand it, Scrat, it was of the freedom women had under Saddam ... and the the less, they have now - in most of Iraq and even in some suburbs of Bagdad.

Of course, this is not legal, they said, but common and tolarated practise.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:59 pm
Walter - My point wasn't "about politics"; it was about the fact that whatever these women may be experiencing today is quite probably not indicative of what they will be experiencing in six months, one year, two years...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:00 pm
You think, Iraq will be completely secular by that time?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:14 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You think, Iraq will be completely secular by that time?

No. Do you think Iraq has to be completely secular in order for women to enjoy a quality of life better than the quality of life they enjoyed under Saddam?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 01:30 pm
No :wink:
0 Replies