The Australian Newspaper & Censorship

vikorr

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:34 pm
I just experienced an interesting piece of censorship by The Australian, when I posted a reply to the beloy article.

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/yoursay/index.php/theaustralian/comments/sadly_wars_do_tend_to_settle_things/

What was cut out went something like this :

Stating that Saddam was the worst despot of the last century is misleading. Mao Tse-tsung, depending on which history you read, killed anywhere between 6-80million Chinese, Lenin & Stalin killed somewhere between 25-30million Soviets, Hitler killed 6 million Jews, Pol Pot 1.5 million Cambodians, and in our own back yard, Suharto of Idonesia killed 500,000+ Indonesians plus 200,000 East Timorese, and an ongoing number of West Papuans.

That's as close as I can remember to how I wrote the part that got deleted from my response to the article. I'm wondering which part they thought offensive, and guessing it is the probably the part about Indonesia. Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 758 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:00 pm
They weren't just cutting down on length?

I can't really see any of that as triggering censorship.

I know the Indonesians sometiomes go nuts and try to influence what journos say, but I doubt the Australian would worry about that, much less someone commenting on an article.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 01:44 am
No, my response was only two paragraphs long in total, with the first paragraph being shorter than the one I posted above (which was the second paragraph).

There were 80 odd responses last I looked, with some responses going into 5-6 paragraphs.

My first paragraph was not related to the second, deleted paragraph.

So it can't be a case of wanting to shorten my response.

PS. I doubt that The Australian is worried about the Indonesian reaction. What I was wondering is if they worry about reactions within Australia - which in turn are caused by worry over reactions from Indonesia. Have you ever wondered why West Papua gets virtually no press in Australia? They have been an invaded country for almost as long as I've been alive, yet they don't consider themselves Indonesian, they don't look indonesian, they don't speak Indonesian, and yet...almost nothing in our press...

I may be off base on this, but it has always had me curious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 01:55 am
That's weird, then.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 02:04 am
That's what I thought Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 02:09 am
Perhaps you think too much.