Qur’an 57. chapterand 11 elements’ atom numbers :

muslim1

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:48 pm
fresco,

fresco wrote:
kevnmoon, You lose everybody but yourself if you resort to quoting from your "holy book".

I disagree. Brother kevnmoon will win every Muslim whenever he quotes from the Holy Qur'an, because this Book is perfect and does not contain a single error. I know many non-muslims who highly respect Islam only because its followers stick to their Holy Texts more than any other religion's disciples.

fresco wrote:
The greatest threat to mankind comes from those who PROSTITUTE their intellect in the name of some parochial version of "truth" when such "truth" devalues the status of man in THIS LIFE

Islam uplifts and dignifies mankind in this life. To prove this Islamic point, I think you will agree with me that I have the right to quote from the "Holy Book", don't you?
Indeed, your and my Creator says: "We have honoured the sons of Adam" [The Qur'an 17:70]

Why do you limit your knowledge to what you think is the maximum you can know about (this life)? Suppose we were living in the 19th century and someone tells us that we will be able in the future to use something called "Internet" to discuss Islam in a forum: if we were to limit our knowledge at that time, we would have accused him to be a person "who prostitutes his intellect in the name of a parochial version of truth (Internet's discussion forums, in this case)".
Why do you escape and go away from asking yourself the critical question: "What will happen to me after my death? What is the next stage after this life?"

fresco wrote:
THIS LIFE...the only one we can know about.

Would you mind proving this point?

If one comes to the conclusion that there is a Creator to this universe, and that this Creator sent Messengers to guide mankind and free them from their desires, from oppression, from what you call "prostitution of their intellects"... then this person can know many things about the afterlife.

fresco wrote:
It is prostitution because rationality is sold for a "passport to heaven"

I don't know which religion do you mean here, but there is nothing like a "passport to heaven" in Islam. Entering Heaven depends on your firm belief and on your good deeds.

fresco wrote:
The number games being played by your "intellectuals" are a minor example of this prostitution. Tell them to "get a life"....this one!

Did you carefully read bother kevnmoon's original post? Did you ever read the Glorious Qur'an? It's the miracle of miracles, its the most rational Book on earth. Its the Book which gives details about the afterlife and (since you love this life) explains how a human being can live a happy life obeying his/her Creator, the One and Only God.
Allah says: "Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has Faith, verily, to him will We give a new Life, a life that is good and pure " [The Qur'an 16:97]

Steve,

Steve 41oo wrote:
Muslims cant think for themselves. They cant put up a decent argument

And you can't prove these statements.

Steve 41oo wrote:
then destroyed them? Is that very respectful, to destroy the Original Words Allah spoke to Mohammed? I dont think so.

When these Words were totally compiled in One single Book, what's the point of keeping the other separate pieces? What counts is the content.
And for your information Steve, in the last Ramadan before the Prophet's (Peace and blessings be upon him) death, the Holy Qur'an was twice fully revised and checked by the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) and the Angel Gabriel.

Steve 41oo wrote:
but I doubt you can produce many who are 1400 years old.

We do not need such people because the Qur'an was compiled and transmitted from generation to generation.

Steve 41oo wrote:
Firstly the earliest fragments of the Koran in existence were found at the Great Mosque at Sana'a in Yemen. They show evidence of being over written, moreover they differ from the Koran today. The Koran was compiled and written many years after the death of Mohammed. Textural analysis shows it has much in common with the ancient Jewish Talmud. It was a work of law and religion which served the needs of a rapidly expanding Islamic empire.

It's the Nth time you rise this copy/paste point. You can perform a search in AB2K, you will find another N responses from different Muslim members of the forum.
I don't know why do you stick to it, even the harsh orientalists have abandoned this and they recognize that today's Qur'an is the one that was available at the Prophet's time.
And if I remember, your Wife is a history teacher, isn't she? What does she tell to her students regarding this? Did she ever read the Qur'an?

Steve 41oo wrote:
The Koran was changed...and sometimes recalled...many times depending on who was Caliph...to improve the pedigree and hence legitimacy of the ruler.

Questions: do you know the names of the four guided Caliphs? Did you study their honorable lives? Did you read about their honesty?

Steve,

I suggest you read more about Islam before giving your opinion on it.

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 05:14 pm
muslim1

Nice to see you. Which part of that "perfect Koran" is instructing Sunnis and Shias to slaughter each other ? (I know about those "perfect" bits that tell you to slaughter non-believers so you don't need to go into that.)

BTW You asked Steve to "prove" his statement that Muslims can't think for themselves and then followed it with your own statement "Allah knows best" ! Who writes your script ? Laughing

(Okay...I'll help you a bit ....the clue is in the words "think" and "know" :wink: )

Later Edit

As an atheist I am no more concerned with historical varieties of speculation about "survival of self after death" any more than I care about where my "self" went whilst I was asleep last night. As far as I am concered "selves" including my own are social constructs loosely bound together by memories and conditioning.
All religions are both psychological insurance policies against the fear of "the void" and parochial rationalities through which people express their "self-identity" in their social groups and hierarchies. Dawkins calls religion a "cognitive virus" and when its results slow down my progress through an airport I am inclined to think he has a point.

As a Muslim you have already surrendered your objectivity. "Islam"="Submission". You are therfore incapable of this level of debate because its premises are dangerous to your self-integrity (and in Islamic countries a physical danger). You will therefore fall back to a position of chanting your Koranic verses at me (your "devils disciple") which is equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and singing.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 04:44 pm
Quote:
And for your information Steve, in the last Ramadan before the Prophet's (Peace and blessings be upon him) death, the Holy Qur'an was twice fully revised and checked by the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) and the Angel Gabriel.
I dont know whether to laugh or cry when I read this. Muslims make a point of saying Mohammed was illiterate. Not the best qualification for a proof reader, I would have thought. And Gabriel only relayed God's message. So why didnt all three of them sit down and check it out? Twice?
0 Replies