Nobel Prize in Literature

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 05:32 am
Hello all;

What does it take to reach the Nobel Prize in literature? The writer/author should have a loooooooooong experience in writing? Or maybe he or she should write somethng extraordinary? Or maybe serve humanity through his or her writings? Or maybe all those together?

I know the "youngest novelist in the world'... she wrote her first book when she was 14 and she is now 18. Her biggest dream is to reach the nobel prize in literature. However we don't know HOW to get there and what does it take to reach such a level.

I checked the nobel prize website and sent them an email about this but receieved no reply from them yet. Its been a month.

I hope I'll find some answers through this forum!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 792 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 05:44 am
Quote:
Nomination for the Nobel Prizes
Each year the respective Nobel Committees send individual invitations to thousands of members of academies, university professors, scientists from numerous countries, previous Nobel Laureates, members of parliamentary assemblies and others, asking them to submit candidates for the Nobel Prizes for the coming year. These nominators are chosen in such a way that as many countries and universities as possible are represented over time.

http://nobelprize.org/nomination/

Unless this young person KNOWS someone, or her work becomes famous, it is very unlikely that she would be considered for the prize.

It is funny. I have a memory of when I was in college. A bunch of us were talking about what we wanted to accomplish in life. One of the girls said that her goal was to win the Nobel prize.

At the time, I thought that what she was saying was very foolish. From how she described it, the prize was her goal. Never mind what she was doing to get the prize, she wanted it, in and of itself.

I sense the same sort of thing from the girl that you describe. IMO, she is looking at life bass ackwards. If she is a writer, she needs to write, to pour her heart and soul out in her work. If someone notices her, and she does get the prize, eventually (it certainly is a long shot, if you consider how much is written) that would be "the icing on the cake".

In the meantime, she is doing what she loves. If she is working simply for the prize, IMO, she needs to think about her priorities.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 07:09 am
If you look at the lists of literary Nobel winners, they are all established authors with a substantial body of work. The award is given to an author, not to a single book.

Both international politics and personalities on the selection committee are very influential.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 07:32 am
I think that the Pulitzer Prize is something that might be somewhat more easily attainable than the Nobel, but not easy, by a long shot . In the case of the Pulitzer, which does honor individual works, a person can send in his/her entry:

http://www.pulitzer.org/index.html
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:34 am
hmm..I see.

Well concerning her writings, she is also the most "intense" writer, i.e she writes a whole lot, a few books per year, and since her books are dedicated for children, a lot of children were influenced by her books and this is constantly highlighted by the media.

Now as for the 'important people' that she knows...well..she was awarded, rewarded and praised by presidents and leaders around the middle east region. She is Tunisian by the way, and she was congratulated from various Arab and non-arab leaders for her works, from the president of her country reaching to the most influential leaders in the region. In other words she has very good exposure but I was thinking that if she needs to do something beyond just "writing arabic books for children" ... probably she should start writing in English and French and to a larger audience? Or should she stay focused?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:43 pm
Children's books are excellent--but they don't survey children's books when looking for Nobel Prize candidates.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:30 am
why not?!?! isnt writing to children a part of literature??? or should someone only write a 10000 page book for adults and intellectuals so that he or she can be considered ???
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 11:33 am
Vonderjohn--

Because Alfred Nobel contributed the money and set the rules.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 12:31 pm
so there is no hope for this girl to reach a noble prize if she continues writing for children? even if she writes the most beautiful and most inspiriting stories ever??
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 12:40 pm
Quote:
so there is no hope for this girl to reach a noble prize if she continues writing for children? even if she writes the most beautiful and most inspiriting stories ever??

Correct. She will not win a Nobel Prize or a Superbowl Ring or an "I ran the Marathon" t-shirt.

None of these trophies are given for "the most beautiful and most inspiriting stories ever".
0 Replies