Can color consciousness create corruption?

coberst

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:07 am
Can color consciousness create corruption?

Imagine that you and many other colorblind people live on this isolated island. All inhabitants are colorblind from birth and know nothing about color; there is no word for color in their vocabulary.

Assume Fred is a health nut who exercises constantly and is always advising others to start a strict exercise routine for their health. Fred is well liked but most people on the island think that he over emphasizes the value of exercise.

One day after pursuing a specific exercises routine Fred become conscious of color. He is shocked and frightened and discontinues the exercise. Many weeks later curiosity gets the best of him and he returns to the exercise routine and there again appears the perception of color.

Fred experiments with this matter and concludes that when he performs the afore mentioned exercise routine he can perceive color constantly.

If you were Fred would you inform your friends and acquaintances of this occurrence?

How would you explain this perception to others?

How would others respond to your efforts to explain what happened?

Does this little game of make-believe give you a better appreciation of why the Athenians executed Socrates for "corrupting the youth"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 603 • Replies: 5
No top replies

AziMythe

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 10:42 pm
Are there nice looking women involved?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 11:20 pm
Now I have a full understanding and better appreciation of why the Athenians executed Socrates for "corrupting the youth"! It's all so clear to me now!

Ummm...WHAT???
0 Replies

Luciene

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 04:48 pm
Racism is learned not inherent.

Fred wouldn't hate on white people, for example, just because of their colour, because he has never heard that they are <whatever>

Edit: Looking back at this post, I think I missed the point =]
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:35 pm
Re: Can color consciousness create corruption?
coberst wrote:
Does this little game of make-believe give you a better appreciation of why the Athenians executed Socrates for "corrupting the youth"?

Not really, since Socrates's trial was primarily a political matter, for both sides. If you modified your thought experiment such that the perception of color was being touted as a political statement and a means toward social change (thus making the color-seer closer to Socrates), then the analogy would be a little closer. But right now the thought experiment seems to suggest that the color-seer was interested in perceiving color for its own sake and not as a means toward political action, which is far removed from the world of Socrates and Athens.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:42 pm
I doubt it, if you use the color wheel, but that is boring to some, even in today's design news, but also including me. Oh, think of the risk of color conflicts.
0 Replies