Holocaust denial to be punished in Europe.

Eorl

Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:26 pm
CNN:
Quote:
LUXEMBOURG (AP) -- European Union nations agreed Thursday on new rules to combat racism and hate crimes across the 27-nation bloc, including setting jail sentences of up to three years against those who deny or trivialize the Holocaust.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/04/19/hate.crimes.ap/index.html

I empathize with the intention, but it's a big legal precedent...

Thoughts.......?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,548 • Replies: 16
Topic Closed
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:31 pm
Is there some reason you've chosen an A-hole for an avatar? I'm going to go ahead and consider you one until you grow up and change it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:38 pm
Bill, because I love the irony that comes from the fact that the image of our Lord and Saviour can clearly be seen in this dog's butt, and yet, no-one is claiming a miracle as they would have done if it had been on a prison wall or a piece of toast. I changed it for April Fools day and haven't got around to changing it back.....but feel free to see me however you choose to.

Did you have something to contribute to the topic?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:41 pm
Not as long as you continue to purposely offend, no.
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:52 pm
What, exactly, have you decided to take offense to?
0 Replies

roger

Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:07 pm
Exactly, Eorl. A big, well intentioned legal precedent.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 22 Apr, 2007 10:27 pm
As a general rule, I don't like to look at A-holes. That you are doing it to mock millions of people doesn't make me like it any more. Why pretend you're not doing it specifically to offend? Is there another purpose?
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 22 Apr, 2007 11:57 pm
Yes, to amuse? ...and to demonstrate the absurdity of worshipping accidental images that are supposed to look like Jesus or Mary? Sadly, Christians often leave their sense of humour behind with their humility.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:11 am
One need not be religious to show respect. All I see is a person who went out of his way to make an ass of himself... and succeeded.
0 Replies

Eorl

Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:55 am
You see what you wish to see. Kinda the point really.

Are you saying you respect the belief that the creator of the universe plays with peoples toast, and clouds, and windows, but not with the rear end of a dog, and does nothing to warn about tsunami's?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Mon 23 Apr, 2007 01:07 am
Eorl wrote:
You see what you wish to see. Kinda the point really.

Are you saying you respect the belief that the creator of the universe plays with peoples toast, and clouds, and windows, but not with the rear end of a dog, and does nothing to warn about tsunami's?
I don't even see him in actual religious symbols, myself. But I respect people who do... and I don't respect A-holes. Why after all this time you've volunteered to be counted with them; I have no idea. Pretending you are only seeking to offend the relatively few kooks does nothing to lessen your insult.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:35 am
I like your avatar, Eorl. Reminds me of my cat. When he's walking away from me, I have a tendency to call him "Bullseye."
0 Replies

Eorl

Mon 23 Apr, 2007 05:36 pm
Thanks, joe.

roger wrote:
Exactly, Eorl. A big, well intentioned legal precedent.

Does that mean you think it's a good precedent roger? I'm ambivalent myself, in the sense that I have some strong opinions on both sides of the argument.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:11 am
Smile ... :wink:

That is interesting that they managed to get them all on board for something so sweeping. I'm sure France feels empowered by the success. I like the idea of shutting up bigots, but I remain opposed to shutting up anyone for simple words. Inciting makes sense to me... and I think Holocaust denying may fit in that category... but trivializing seems like a slippery slope to simple unpopular speech. I don't think I'd want my country signing on to such a thing.
Yahoojack

Thu 29 Mar, 2012 03:33 am
@Eorl,
There are no free speech guarrantees in Europe. They have no first amendment.

The anti-denial laws are intended to prevent a resurgence of Naziism, which devastated Europe in WWII.
0 Replies

Yahoojack

Thu 29 Mar, 2012 03:36 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Agreed.The way to deal with H denial is to debunk it in open debate with evidence. Racist forums like Stormfront have moderators to prevent open debate and protect their propaganda.
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 29 Mar, 2012 05:15 am
anyone should be able to deny anything they want

somebody denying the holocaust doesn't make it go away

two points, who gives a **** what idiots think and i'd rather the idiots had free speech to say whatever they want so we could know who they were and what they stand for
0 Replies