ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 08:45 am
Well, the Oztralians have their kitty thread, so i thought we needed an ongoing doggy thread, and here it is.

Pets and Gardening? Lovey would never be able to putter effectively about her garden without the assistance of Mr. Bailey and Miss Cleo. Quite apart from fertilizing this space on a daily basis, they assure that squirrels do not sully the garden with their foul presence. Mr. Bailey is quite vocal about expressing his opinion of the racoons.

Dogs i've known and loved in my life: Tippy, Sabbath, Georgette, Abe, Morgan, Honey, Sundance, Albie, Leah--and of course Mr. Bailey and Miss Cleo.

Cats, however, are vile critters. Please don't mention cats in this thread.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 16,662 • Replies: 120

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:11 am
Set:
I too have loved many dogs (canines) in my lifetime: Boots Teddy Bear, Snuffy, Pearly Mae, Baby, Holly, Punky, come most readily to mind. Good idea for a thread. I would like to ask others what is the most effective way to train a dog to not rear up and put its front paws on people. I have been able to eventually stop this, but without a clear method.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 03:50 pm
:-D

Snoopy, Jake, Chewbacca, Shadow, Abenaki Knight.

Currently my fave dawgie is Gus, a pit bull owned by the dry cleaner down the street. Gus is a very kissy fellow, totally adorable and wags his whole body when I see him.

Hmmm, keeping a dog from jumping - I bet that can be done with sit-stay.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 04:07 pm
Max, a Collie, Labrador, and lord knows what else, cross. He was very smart, extremely social, and loved to party. He would sneak off and go down town on a Saturday night and would invariably get picked up by the cops about 10:00pm, taken down to the station house where they would feed him grinders and junk food and I'd have to go down and bail him out. He once went out and "hitchhiked", got picked up by a little old lady in a Triumph sports car who drove around with him all day and then brought him home. I have yet to figure out how she knew where he lived. He's been gone for almost ten years and I still miss him.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 04:10 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I would like to ask others what is the most effective way to train a dog to not rear up and put its front paws on people. I have been able to eventually stop this, but without a clear method.

Raising the knee has worked for me. It doesn't have to be rough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 05:58 pm
What? You're not supposed to kick their teeth in?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:04 pm
After I read edgar's post after mine, I realized how stupid I was to post mine. Sorry to all I have offended. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:17 pm
One of the most dearly beloved dogs I've lived with was Pearly Mae. I don't know exactly what to call her, except she was some sort of terrier, I think. She was small, black, with hair about the consistency of a skunk's, and the lower teeth protruding far beyond the uppers. Ugly as sin. A lady brought her to my home one day and in passing said she would like to get rid of that annoying puppy. Well, Pearly Mae was high energy and playful; I could see that at a glance. One of the woman's children began tormenting her, so I put my hand between the two of them. When the puppy saw I was protecting her she jumped into my seat and lay down beside me. I saw as she jumped up that one of her teeth was at an angle, indicating she had probably been kicked in the mouth.
The dog thrived and she wanted to do everything with me. When I gardened she jumped in and dug up gophers. I eventually left to serve in the Navy. She kept my Mother company. When my Mother died I took Pearly Mae with me. On one journey we crossed the continent, from Providence to Long Beach. Pearly Mae slept a good deal of the time, but she stood up the whole way through the Rockies, as impressed as I was.
Well, I had to leave Pearly Mae with a sister once. The sister had three unruly boys. As Pearly Mae lay on the couch one day, one of the boys stood up on an arm of the couch and did sort of a belly flop on my dog. She died. I don't harbor grudges, but it is an incident that never has ceased to upset me.
Pearly Mae is Pearl Baily's first two names. I liked Ms. Bailey very much and gave the dog her name as a way to honor her. Sorry if this seems crazy, but that is how I do things.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:47 pm
http://home.mindspring.com/~fcalaja/_uimages/kodiinthetub.jpg

the more i know about people the more i love my dogs.

kodi and i have been together for nearly 11 years. i can not recall what life felt like without her in it.

once, while in "pre-conubial" bliss with a fine lady, we were involved in ahem, let us say "horizontal refreshment" of a proselytizing nature. upon hearing the sounds of this bliss, kodi took it upon herself to investigate, barging thru the closed door and proceeded to place her nose in an unfortunate place in the back of my body, thus propelling me, and the lady into the headboard, where upon she delightfully squealed, "can you do THAT again?"

i replied, "perhaps, but i do not think that i can get the dog to do again what she had done."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:54 pm
Thanks, Kuvasz, and that's a great picture . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 11:41 pm
in many ways, which I recognize.

Found out Pacco's limp is from serious arthritis at the scapula on the right. He has always had such a distinguished posture, with the right foot back. Always, after I got him. Yes I thought arthritis right away, and they said no. But it's clear now, with the new graduate from Davis sweetly checking him out, plus xrays, yes, and not new. Never mind the not new. I have a bit myself. We all grow to be not new. I have never known how old he is, but getting on.

Good news, his weight is reasonable, even just right. He is one hunky corgi, big boned, big double coat, not much fat. Pacco has a waist, and a big presence.

Still, tonight, I cringe for what is already there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 11:48 pm
On past dogs, when we lived with my aunt, she had an old irish setter. That was my dog-in-mind for the next couple of decades. After my ex and I were together, he found a dog all shrivelled and quaking that had been hanging around at a lumber yard in Alhambra, CA, and brought him home to replenish him and find him a home. It was a year or so old irish setter, our loved Kelly for the next decade. My ex still hasn't had a dog since, Kelly used to run easily with him...miles.

and my next was Pacco, about ten years and many miles later. Whatever our differences, not all so much after all, however obliterating they are, my ex and I have cherished the dogs we have.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 06:07 am
My dad raised Irish Setters for field trials and my first memory of dogs is being dragged around by a poarticularly matronly Setter who had apparently adopted me . That dog was always between me and anybody else. My disdain of being licked probably goes back to this dog for she was constantly grooming me and , no matter how I protested I was just slobbered. My folks had many pictures of me and my canid mom.

I lost interest in hunting early in life and so my choices in dogs have always gone to border collies and catahoulas. I like dogs that are smarter than our township supervisors. Each dog thats shared their lives with us has left a special memory so its hard to pick just one. If there were a heaven, for me, it would be me and my family all reunited with the dogs of our lives. What a happy mess of beasties that would be.

My neighbor , with the giant pig, has a pack of Jack Russells. These dogs are either ON or OFF. When ON, they are the most energetic inquisitive, obnoxious, little guys, but you cant get mad at em they just know how to get you on their side. This family also owns a Corgi, who , whenever company comes around, raises a big fuss until his master dresses him in a hockey goalie mask and the dog runs around scaring peoiple at parties. The dog hasnt come upwith any new material than that, so those of us who are regulars over there , dont even pay attention anymore and this really bums the dog out
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 08:37 am
Kuvasz - kodi's adorable.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:20 pm
Kuvasz - that girl of yours is gorgeous.

Bailey is the best friend I can imagine. Cleo is the annoying, but truly loving and lovable, little sister everyone has somewhere in their life. The thought of not seeing their smiles when I come home is, well, it's painful. They both had difficult starts to their lives. My job is to make sure things aren't difficult for them anymore. If it means inconvenience for me, so be it. I accepted the responsibility when I agreed to adopt them.
0 Replies

KillerWhale

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:24 pm
Well, I feel obliged to share.

Exhibit A:
Dodger
13 year old purebred German Shepherd

http://www.boomspeed.com/ramuorca/dodgerpuppy.jpg

Exhibit B:
Inga
3 year old purebred Rottweiler

http://www.boomspeed.com/ramuorca/in.jpg

Exhibit C:
Mina
9 week old purebred Rottweiler

http://www.boomspeed.com/ramuorca/Minapuppy.jpg

Those are my 3 dogs. Each has a distinct personality. Inga is in training to become a therapy dog. Inga also participates in 4H with me. Dodger was my first dog, and Mina is the little sh*t, the only reason we got her is because I'm going to college, and it was my parent's last chance to get a dog and have it trained properly! Razz

Appologies for multiple photos.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:35 pm
great pix..

what's inge doing in 4-h?

ps: welcome to the monkeyhouse
0 Replies

KillerWhale

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:40 pm

Inga and I are State level qualified in Showmanship and Obedience. I'm quite proud of the little brat! =D

Monkeyhouse? hehe, thanks!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 11:18 pm
Kodi's picture is a real keeper...
welcome, Killer Whale...nice pictures of good dogs!
They smile, ehbeth? So does the pacc, it makes me verry happy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 11:24 pm
On putting pictures on posts, I remember that the site administration likes them relatively small (ordinarily) - though not necessarily really tiny - as somehow they can slow the thread (or is it the site?) down. Not to complain, because I love them, but if this thread gets pages long, the pictures should eventually get smaller.
0 Replies