Is the Pledge of Allegiance Relevant?

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 12:55 am
Not in my opinion. Not in today's world. It's not relevant even if one is an outstanding citizen, Loves the USA, and goes to war for it.
Listen to the following and see if you agree or not.

http://patriotfiles.org/Pledge.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,593 • Replies: 39
No top replies

AziMythe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:00 am
It depends on the context...

If country is more important than the human race, then I would pledge allegiance to country before the human race.

If all living things on Earth are more important than the governmental system currently chosen for this particular country, then I would pledge allegiance to all living things before one particular governmental experiment.

In our current context of expanding businesses, if I want to sell people and motivate them, then a flag is a wonderful tool for that purpose. The whole point of politics is to influence other people, so a sing-songy catch phrase is pretty effective for that. So yes, definitely relevant! Blind patriotism actually does work.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 02:21 pm
AziMythe wrote:
It depends on the context...

If country is more important than the human race, then I would pledge allegiance to country before the human race.

If all living things on Earth are more important than the governmental system currently chosen for this particular country, then I would pledge allegiance to all living things before one particular governmental experiment.

In our current context of expanding businesses, if I want to sell people and motivate them, then a flag is a wonderful tool for that purpose. The whole point of politics is to influence other people, so a sing-songy catch phrase is pretty effective for that. So yes, definitely relevant! Blind patriotism actually does work.

Well, I have to admit, the context is not in., "whatever your babling about."
The context is, what it is.
Fewer Americans have love for their own country.
We certainly aren't respected in the world.
United? The United States has never been so divided.
I don't believe students recite the pledge in school anymore.
Our Country is for the people, especially for the rich.
Justice for the people who can afford a good attorney. Not if your not black or another minority.
Back when Red Skelton taught those students what the Pledge of Allegiance meant, there was a United States of America.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 03:21 pm
I think Red Skelton is no longer relevant. His grammatical parsing in this overly sweet piece is logically flawed if nothing else.

But I have always thought the pledge of alliegence was a call to a higher ideal. America has never been perfect and has never fully met the ideals of "liberty and justice for all".

I don't buy the argument that the United States has "never been so divided". We had a civil war, and we are nowhere near that now. And we have always had stark political differences, from the abolition movement, to the civil rights movement through prohibition to abortion. America has often had deep divisions.

I don't believe that the US is worse than when Red Skelton said these words. In his time non-whites couldn't ride in the front of the bus, and American citizens of Mexican descent were being "repatriated" by force. This part of America is certainly better than before.

The struggles in America right now are not unique. America always has had struggles and challenges and somethings are better and somethings are worse and we go on.

There are two types of patriotism-- a good type and a dangerous type. The "America is always right" patriotism that denies rights of people who aren"t like us; The "victory at all costs whether we are right or wrong" patriotism; The "anyone who is different hurts our culture" patriotism... these are all very sinister.

Tthe good kind of patriot is someone who works to help America to be closer to her ideals, but any Patriot will realize that any human endeavor ... including democracy, will be flawed. Good patriotism questions assumptions of the majority, defends the vulnerable, stands up for the rights of minorities and tries to extend the core values of America.

"One Nation with liberty and justice for all' is a call that we should all get behind.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 03:28 pm
I think ebrown has said it very well. And also, just to comment, I've never been asked to say the pledge of allegiance in any context.

Quote:
I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.

However, it is also like "..and with Liberty and Justice for all Christians."
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:07 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I think Red Skelton is no longer relevant. His grammatical parsing in this overly sweet piece is logically flawed if nothing else.
Quote:

If it was logically flawed, you would have told me how so.
It's not the relevence of Red Skelton, it's the Pledge of Allegience.

I don't buy the argument that the United States has "never been so divided". We had a civil war, and we are nowhere near that now. And we have always had stark political differences, from the abolition movement, to the civil rights movement through prohibition to abortion. America has often had deep divisions.
Quote:

I considered the Civil War, but since the Pledge Of Allegience hadn't been written yet, obviously it couldn't have relevence.
Never so Divided? Well, let's say a country never so outraged at what the Goverment is doing. Encouraging Religion to enter into Politics. Encouraging Religion to not only enter but influence Politics. A hard headed president that won't listen to his own people.

Quote:
I don't believe that the US is worse than when Red Skelton said these words. In his time non-whites couldn't ride in the front of the bus, and American citizens of Mexican descent were being "repatriated" by force. This part of America is certainly better than before.

Well, we are now building a frence to keep out Mexicans out, Cubans have to have a "dry foot," and Haitians could have no feet and still not get in.

Quote:
There are two types of patriotism-- a good type and a dangerous type. The "America is always right" patriotism that denies rights of people who aren"t like us; The "victory at all costs whether we are right or wrong" patriotism; The "anyone who is different hurts our culture" patriotism... these are all very sinister.

So right now we are in the "Sinister type of Patriotism." If your country is not Democratic, we will make you Democratic. "Victory at all costs" surly defines our current administrations ideals. A gem of Bush was, "if your not with us your against us."

Quote:
Tthe good kind of patriot is someone who works to help America to be closer to her ideals, but any Patriot will realize that any human endeavor ... including democracy, will be flawed. Good patriotism questions assumptions of the majority, defends the vulnerable, stands up for the rights of minorities and tries to extend the core values of America.

If I wore your Rosey red glasses, I might believe that too. So, where are these "good Patriots", that
you speak of? Are you kidding me? STAND UP FOR THE RIGHTS OF MINORITIES", while we fence them out. extends the core of values of America. By trying to eliminate the insertion of "GOD" on our currency, takiing the monument to the Constitution out of a Court House?

Isn't it amazing that Red Skelton had the forsight to add, That he hopes the addition of "under God" would not make the Pledge declared a prayer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:11 pm
stuh505 wrote:

Yeah, I'd like it a lot better without "under God."

I still don't like it though. Depending somewhat on circumstances.

My kid's started doing it in school (why now, I dunno, just started recently), and it's pissing me off. I was half-joking (with my husband) that it's fascist. I haven't done anything in particular about it, probably won't, it's not something that makes me REALLY mad, it's just kind of "oof."
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:15 pm
stuh505 wrote:
I think ebrown has said it very well. And also, just to comment, I've never been asked to say the pledge of allegiance in any context.

Quote:
I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.

And you probably wouldn't if asked. Oh, so you believe that when it was written in 1892, that it was meant just for Christians.
Well, if your a Jew who thinks everything is about them, I feel sorry for you.
How do you figure a religious reference in the Pledge Of Allegience?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:18 pm
sozobe wrote:
stuh505 wrote:

My kid's started doing it in school (why now, I dunno, just started recently), and it's pissing me off. I was half-joking (with my husband) that it's fascist. I haven't done anything in particular about it, probably won't, it's not something that makes me REALLY mad, it's just kind of "oof."

See Mr. Brown, the division starts about a single phrase "under God."
So Stuh, you don't like it, don't know why, you just don't like it. Well think hard you may come up with a reason. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:26 pm
I think you mean me, not Stuh.

There are a lot of reasons. I think it encourages a sort of unthinking submission to authority. Related, but more specific, I think it encourages a certain blind faith in one's country and the leaders of that country. I think that if the goal is for a child to memorize verse, there are many more worthy verses to memorize. I especially think that indoctrinating kindergarteners with the idea that this entire country is under God -- kindergarteners who may or may not be religious, who may or may not be Christian if they are religious, etc. -- is objectionable.

Most of these thoughts run at a minor enough level that I won't actually forbid my child from saying the pledge, nor take action against the school for requiring her to do it. (Kids get in trouble if they don't -- something else I object to.) But I don't like it much.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:42 pm
sozobe wrote:
I think you mean me, not Stuh.

There are a lot of reasons. I think it encourages a sort of unthinking submission to authority. Related, but more specific, I think it encourages a certain blind faith in one's country and the leaders of that country. I think that if the goal is for a child to memorize verse, there are many more worthy verses to memorize. I especially think that indoctrinating kindergarteners with the idea that this entire country is under God -- kindergarteners who may or may not be religious, who may or may not be Christian if they are religious, etc. -- is objectionable.

Most of these thoughts run at a minor enough level that I won't actually forbid my child from saying the pledge, nor take action against the school for requiring her to do it. (Kids get in trouble if they don't -- something else I object to.) But I don't like it much.

So now, the Pledge of Allegience is an attempt to control the minds of children? Dictatorships do that. I agree that as close as Fascists go, Bush is as close as a president could be. But he is forcing religion on us. But I still don't believe in God no matter how many times I have said the Pledge of Allegience.
I don't know where you live, but here in Florida if a child doesn't want to say the Pledge he/she doesn't have too.
Wouldn't raisng a child in a particular religion be the same as learning the Pledge?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:49 pm
Yes Sozbe, Stuh has already corrected me. Now do you have anything to add or just like to state the obvious?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:16 pm
snookered wrote:
sozobe wrote:
stuh505 wrote:

So Stuh, you don't like it, don't know why, you just don't like it. Well think hard you may come up with a reason. Rolling Eyes

The "under God" bit was added in 1954. In 1892 (the year the pledge was first published), it was simply

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:23 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
snookered wrote:
sozobe wrote:
stuh505 wrote:

The "under God" bit was added in 1954. In 1892 (the year the pledge was first published), it was simply

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

And?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:26 pm
snookered wrote:

I don't have thoughts that have reasons which I can't account for. Perhaps if you weren't so dense you would have recognized the obvious reason which I already eluded to: it is supposed to be a generic statement that can be said with pride by all people, and yet it is laced with religious zealotry. What does patriotism have to do with brainless worship of a false deity? Nothing.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:04 pm
stuh505 wrote:
snookered wrote:

I don't have thoughts that have reasons which I can't account for. Perhaps if you weren't so dense you would have recognized the obvious reason which I already eluded to: it is supposed to be a generic statement that can be said with pride by all people, and yet it is laced with religious zealotry. What does patriotism have to do with brainless worship of a false deity? Nothing.

And how would you know what "it" (The Pledge of Allegiance) was supposed to be. You've never said and and probably never thought about it, until now. How is The Pledge of Allegiance "laced with religious zealotry?" By adding, "under God?"
It seems anyone can account for any thought they have, no matter how amusing. You Could any pledge be generic? You mean like a generic flag, Nation, republic. How could the Pledge of Allegiance be generic if it was written about patriotism, Honor of the United States of America, and our Government?
I believe your the religious zealot that you referred to.
Now we need to figure out how to put you out of your misery.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:14 pm
snookered wrote:
Yes Sozbe, Stuh has already corrected me.

Where?

Quote:
Now do you have anything to add or just like to state the obvious?

You mean, like the whole rest of my post?

(Dense, indeed, and all over the place, and unnecessarily argumentative, and...)

I like what you said about the "liberty and justice for all" part, eBrown, I could get behind that. And I know that "under God" was added -- I'd love for it to be taken right back out.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:39 pm
Brown, remember your first post to me? How you made fun of my grammar error?

alliegence -- NICE
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 08:17 pm
I hate the pledge. I hated it in high school. I hate it now. I especially hate the under one god part. But, now that I'm becoming a teacher, I have to stand up there with everyone else and say it. Grrr.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 08:22 pm
funny littlek, having gone to catholic school as a child, where you said prayers and the pledge each morning, I always thought the pledge was just another prayer. All I really heard was the "under God" part.
0 Replies