Rented it and never watched it.

I want to though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:42 pm
Re: Blood Diamond
shewolfnm wrote:
Have you seen it?

Yup. Very well done and interesting film. Leonardo Di Caprio has come a long way as an actor. After seeing this film, I found that I was thinking a bit differently about diamonds than before!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:52 pm
I have never been a diamond fan.

The thought of paying thousands of dollars for a clear , glass looking stone is just beyond me.

After I saw this movie, with the rapes, the murders, the theft, ...

I will never buy one.

I loved how it took the time to show you how you can, with out knowing it, buy a diamond that someone was shot in the head for. All for the sake of a princess wedding..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:03 pm
Canadian diamonds have a polar bear inscribed on them so you can tell the difference between theirs and the 'blood' diamonds.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 03:54 pm
LOVED this film! Really good!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 06:03 pm
Hmm really? I am surprised to hear such positive feedback about it and dicaprio's acting...his accent sounded SO bad from the previews. Maybe I will see it now.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 06:11 pm
shewolf and I were talking about this the other day, and we both felt strongly moved by the movie.

I don't care for gem stones either, and the film just increased my wonder as to why they are so popular.

As far as being blood free....diamonds can be smuggled into other countries, and sold from there.

All I kept thinking about the entire film was how so many generations of people have suffered and died, and how many will suffer and die, because of a rock.

I cannot begin to imagine the mental stress that is passed down from generation to generation.

Re DiCaprio's acting, I agree with Phoenix, he has really grown.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:07 pm
We thought of renting it. I was concerned the movie would gloss over the very real issues in mining diamonds.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:38 pm
littlek wrote:
We thought of renting it. I was concerned the movie would gloss over the very real issues in mining diamonds.

It gets down to the nitty gritty of it.

people slice open live animals and make them walk around a city line to try to get them in.

People are shot, on the diamond site, for not reporting a diamond.
A diamond that would probally be worth less then 100.00 american dollars.

Children are taken and raped, beaten and forced to kill others to make sure that they will do as they are told.

no.
It doesnt gloss over anything.

As for Dicappi's acting..

his accent was off. But so was his character. It fits. Very well.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 04:22 am
I'll admit as to him doing a bad accent...he didn't sound like any of the whites from South Africa I've known....but....shrugs....I can't do that accent either.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 04:33 am
I dont think his accent was bad. He has become a 3D actor and the picture was IMO , great.
Now you must also see "The Last King of Scotland" Forrest WHitaker has become Amin
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 05:36 am
I just watched that last night Farmerman,
and it made me sick to my stomach.

Wonderful movie.

Forrest is now one of my more favorite actors. He did a fantastic job!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 11:18 am
Forrest Whitaker has always been one of my favorite actors, even though he was killed off early in the film "The Crying Game," and it was my first real encounter with his acting craft. In that superbly written drama full of incredible performances, he certainly didn't fade into the background. I don't think I can ever forget the images of his character going through the hostage situation.

I'm planning on renting "Blood Diamond" or ordering it on Pay-Per-View based on everything I've read about the film here by the film critics I can almost always agree with.

Incidentally, did anyone catch the pictures of Roger Ebert at home? He doesn't look well enough to ever return to The Balconey.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 11:41 am
I watched Blood Diamond on my flight home from London. I liked the movie and do think diferently now about diamonds. However, the movie was so violent that I had a hard time relaxing.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:55 pm
Okay, cool then, Blood Diamond will be my next rental (assuming its ok with company) ! I'll watch it in my new "private cinema" (lecture hall projectors Smile ).

I also liked the last king of scotland.
0 Replies

official

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 04:34 am
Haven't watched it yet, but I have it. I look forward to it
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:32 am
I almost watched it the other night....it was between Rocky Balboa and Blood Diamond. Remembering this thread and not feeling in the mood for violence of that type (boxing violence is a whole different thing), I choose Rocky.

What a disappointment.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 01:16 am
Oh man, if I had known Jennifer Connelly was in this I would have seen it a while ago! It's pretty good; very similar to Hotel Rwanda and The Last King of Scotland.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:49 am
Oh yeah.. she is in it too Wink

She did a GREAT job, but .. I cant think of many movies where she didnt do a good job in .
0 Replies