Stephen King returns to the 'Tower'

sublime1

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:53 pm
When Jack Sawyer "flips" into the territories it is the same world as Roland also (sorry if I'm spoiling this) The child in Black House is kidnapped to try to break the beams holding the tower. Just a couple of references. Worth reading if a Dark Tower fan.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:05 am
What's that in your coffee cup?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:20 am
Not sure, the bottle only had an X on it. It did mix well with the coffee although you may want to keep cigarettes away.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:32 am
Sounds potent.

I'm trying really hard to restrain myself from looking at the back pages of Dark Tower 7.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:50 am
Are you referring to Song of Susannah? Or do you have the last one already?
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:02 am
I have it. Lucky me. Should I read it really slowly to make it last? It's the end of an era; it could be a sign of the apocalypse.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:06 am
To adopt the pace King created you would have to take the next 12 years to read it and I don't think that kind of self control exists. Was the release date of 9/21 wrong or do you have the inside track?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:27 pm
Oh yes, I have read Black House, and understand completely.

dante-you're hired..now, just to find the right people to pay for it Wink
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:29 am
sublime1 wrote:
To adopt the pace King created you would have to take the next 12 years to read it and I don't think that kind of self control exists.

I might have to do that if I want my husband to catch up to me. He's on Book 2.

sublime1 wrote:
Was the release date of 9/21 wrong or do you have the inside track?

That's the correct date. I borrowed an ARC.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:48 pm
Quote:

That's the correct date. I borrowed an ARC.

cheater Very Happy

If I waited this long another week won't kill me.
No details, but what are your first impressions?
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 09:28 am
So far, it's not much different than the previous. There's an excerpt somewhere....probably at stephenking.com.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:47 pm
From the Guardian, Books, by genre:
[Crime?]

A little item about Stephen King
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 08:14 am
A few posts disappeared from this thread during the A2K server move. Mostly pertaining to the quality and size of DT 7. I'll try to recompose my reply from last night:

The tome: It's an anvil.
I was unimpressed with the gratuitous "horror" in the early section involving Susannah, Mia, and the little you-know-what.
Every time I see the cover, I like it less. The inside illustrations are much better.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 05:31 pm
Just finished it. A very mediocre ending to what started off as a great series of books. The length would not have bothered me if more was said in it. The book could have been cut in half and still had the same impact.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:08 am
Mordred is a pitifully uninspired, tacky little character.

Disappointing book so far, but I've only read 200 pages. Maybe it will improve.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:04 pm
King needs a new editor. From page 389:

"...Susannah leaped to her feet and began to scream again."

What feet?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
I just finished it five minutes ago, and I loved it. The ending was great, in my opinion. Reading those last hundred pages or so, I felt like I did when I first read Salem's Lot when I was in high school.

There were a lot of very moving scenes. I thought that the characters of Roland, Jake, Susannah, Eddie, and even Oy, were excellently drawn, and I'm sad to see them go.

So that's my two cents, anyway.

Long days and pleasant nights.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 06:45 pm
Moving scenes, yes. I'm still reading it. I'm going to hate to see it end...

This week's NYT Book Review has a very negative and dismissive review of the Dark Tower series.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:11 pm
You know, as I was going through it, at times I was like, "come on, that is just silly", but overall, I thought that the good far surpassed the bad.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:59 pm
I had thought that King was going to leave the series as a cliffhanger. The final ending was unexpected and appropriate. Can't believe that it's over.
0 Replies