Healthy workout or obsession?

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 01:41 pm
Where does one draw the line? I do a lot of strength training and tried proteins and creatine, I could feel the difference but stopped using them because of their horrible taste.

Have anyone here ever used any such things? You don't really 'need' any supplement, but it works great as a motivator, as you can really follow the progression. But is it really borderline megarexia? A lot of people use supplement and I'd like to hear other peoples oppinion on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,382 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 01:57 pm
If you're protein deficient, then a protein supplement will probably help you to build muscle.

Excess protein in your diet could affect kidney function, however.
Cool
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:07 pm
isn't the rule of thumb a a gram of protein a day for every lb. of body weight? I do a little better than that + creatine as recommended but only after lifting days which is three a week. Protein daily though along with a multi vitamin.

Best thing is still to just eat well and listen to your body. After two years of being a vegetarian I find that when I need protein I suddenly crave red meat. I then eat a tablespoon of peanut butter or some shellfish and I'm okay.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:33 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
isn't the rule of thumb a a gram of protein a day for every lb. of body weight? I do a little better than that + creatine as recommended but only after lifting days which is three a week. Protein daily though along with a multi vitamin.

Best thing is still to just eat well and listen to your body. After two years of being a vegetarian I find that when I need protein I suddenly crave red meat. I then eat a tablespoon of peanut butter or some shellfish and I'm okay.

Hmm, never heard that creatine is recommended, but i guess, since it is a part of red meat. But with protein for every pound of weight is only the maximum amount of protein the body can consume, so that would be something for bodybuilder. It's really hard to eat that much protein without resorting to supplements.

And also i always wondered what makes people vegetarians, I know a lot of people follow 'the bunny factor' as I call it. Feeling guilty for eating those cute animals.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:39 pm
Quote:
The recommended daily protein requirements for humans are derived from "ideal body weight". The ideal body weight is calculated based on height and varies slightly for men and women. Our protein requirements can also be expressed in terms of total caloric intake. The world health organization and many national health agencies have independently conducted studies, which (even though they differ slightly) all conclude our daily protein requirement should be between 10% to 15% of our daily caloric intake.

To calculate your specific daily protein requirement 1) determine your ideal body weight, then 2) calculate your specific protein requirements based on your ideal weight.

www.indoorclimbing.com
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:42 pm
For a man, on a 3000 cal/day diet he would need about 115 grams of protein ( if you're following the above rules).

However, this calculation assumes no protein trunover, and thus no weight training.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:43 pm
I am a vegetarian because I after I had my gall bladder and part of my pancreas removed I have had recurring digestive problems and my baody cannot tolerate meat or a lot of fat. I get crippled with pain.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:11 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I am a vegetarian because I after I had my gall bladder and part of my pancreas removed I have had recurring digestive problems and my baody cannot tolerate meat or a lot of fat. I get crippled with pain.

That would be a reason I can understand.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:53 pm
Protein requirements for the average person vs. someone who is strength training is different. 1 gram per pound is the rule of thumb for those looking to build muscle. And the statement that "too much protein can damage kidneys" is a myth. Excessive protein can do damage to those with existing kidney damage, but there are no studies proving protein causes damage to healthy individuals.

As far as creatine, you said you don't like the taste...try Green Magnitude by Controlled Labs, it tastes pretty good. And for protein, Optimum Nutrition & Designer chocolate aren't bad either.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:38 pm
Well, creatine doesn't really taste anything. I just forgot taking it and couldn't really see the point of doing so either.

Personally, I think creatine is borderline obsession. Because you don't really need it and I know its part of red meat and occurs naturally in our body, but hey, so does male hormones. That doesn't really mean more of it is healthy for you.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:59 am
Current Opinion in Nephrology & Hypertension. 13(1):31-37, January 2004.
Zoja, Carla a; Benigni, Ariela a; Remuzzi, Giuseppe

Abstract:

Purpose of review: Insight into the mechanisms underlying the progression of chronic proteinuric nephropathies has attracted the interest of the renal community in the last two decades. Systemic hypertension, proteinuria, cytokines and growth factors, and reactive oxygen species have all been implicated. Reviewed here are the determinants of tubulointerstitial injury; the focus is on protein ultrafiltration and reabsorption, which ultimately contribute, by activating fibrogenic mechanisms in tubular cells, to renal scarring.

Recent findings: Protein overloading of proximal tubular cells - a well-documented consequence of exuberant protein ultrafiltration - differentially regulates transcription of NF-[kappa]B-dependent and NF-[kappa]B-independent genes. This forms endothelin-1, cytokines and chemokines; all of these, being secreted toward the basolateral compartment of tubular epithelial cells, foster local recruitment of mononuclear cells. Autocrine pathways of activation of tubular epithelial cells contribute to interstitial injury and fibrosis. Albumin endocytosis in proximal tubular cells triggers events that include protein kinase C-dependent generation of reactive oxygen species, nuclear translocation of NF-[kappa]B, and activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase. In-vivo evidence that proteinuria activates transcription factors, including NF-[kappa]B, and overexpression of chemokine and fibrogenic cytokines is also available.

Summary: Proteinuria incites a multitude of inflammatory and fibrogenic mediators, all of which contribute to renal scarring. Specific antagonism of multiple injurious pathways might help to arrest, or even reverse, the progression of renal damage.
0 Replies