Now here is an example of True Christianity

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm
Christian school to host gay activistsÂ…

The gay-rights activists have repeatedly been arrested and barred from the campuses of other Christian colleges as they travel the country in their effort to call attention to what they view as discriminatory policies and hostile climates on evangelical campuses.

But officials at Gordon, where homosexual activity is barred by campus policy, have agreed to host the group for a series of presentations and conversations, saying they believe it will be good for students to hear a variety of views.

"We present lots of ideas in the classroom that we don't agree with -- that's part of education," said Barry J. Loy , the dean of students. "I'm hopeful that they will come here to learn, and we will do the same. We're not keeping our students from them." This is a place that takes education very seriously," he said. "Because we are a Christian community, we are interested in learning more and more about what it is we say we believe."

The event has received wide attention on campus, and students interviewed said they are hopeful about the visit.

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2007/04/16/christian_school_to_host_gay_activists/?page=2
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 732 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:04 pm
I predict many wonderful articles in campus papers and local news, praising the school's tolerance and vision. I also predict that there will be no change in school policy regarding homsexuals.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:07 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
I predict many wonderful articles in campus papers and local news, praising the school's tolerance and vision. I also predict that there will be no change in school policy regarding homsexuals.

No I don't either - but it is wonderful when you see two sides that have differences of opinions being open to listen and learn and be respectful of each others viewpoints. One doesn't have to agree to be open and respectful of a different viewpoint.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:33 pm
Linkat wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

No I don't either - but it is wonderful when you see two sides that have differences of opinions being open to listen and learn and be respectful of each others viewpoints. One doesn't have to agree to be open and respectful of a different viewpoint.

Well, I wish them luck.

I'm skeptical that this isn't much more than a chance to preach the gospel to the wicked homosexuals, but maybe I'm just a cynic.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:40 pm
I think in this case you are being a cynic. By the way the students are accepting it and how they are freely speaking about the fact that there are homosexuals attending their school (not openly gay of course). How the school does state right out they do not support this and how it is set up that the gay group is set up with a presentation for them to give (not simply just allowing them on campus).

And my own experience in the Christian community. I am Christian, but fully support gay lifestyle - there are many Christian Churches that do and even gay ministers.

I have found that those who are truly Christian - even the more conservative ones will not shun gays - (ie love the sinner, not the sin). They may not agree with the lifestyle, but still support the person - we are all sinners sort of attitude.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:08 pm
Linkat wrote:
I think in this case you are being a cynic. By the way the students are accepting it and how they are freely speaking about the fact that there are homosexuals attending their school (not openly gay of course). How the school does state right out they do not support this and how it is set up that the gay group is set up with a presentation for them to give (not simply just allowing them on campus).

And my own experience in the Christian community. I am Christian, but fully support gay lifestyle - there are many Christian Churches that do and even gay ministers.

I have found that those who are truly Christian - even the more conservative ones will not shun gays - (ie love the sinner, not the sin). They may not agree with the lifestyle, but still support the person - we are all sinners sort of attitude.

Perhaps I get too much exposure to evangelical christians and fundamentalists, and too little exposure to those with a more balanced view of things.

I hope you're right about this particular school. The more balanced christian viewpoint could use some good press Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:11 pm
Unfortunately it is true - typically the loud mouths and extremists are what you see and what the media hypes up.

As in most things, the more reasonable aspects are typically not shown in the media/not newsworthy and therefore the extremists seem the norm rather than the other way around.
0 Replies

skeptical

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:54 pm
I've read the article. It's a very good thing to hear, and something that should get more publicity. Too often is the news talking about the ravings of people like Patt Robertson, instead of open-minded loving christians like these.
0 Replies