Germany: Picture You're Shooting Blacks in the Bronx

Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:01 am
(Off topic) Congratulations to your 5000th post, Roberta!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:20 am
Thomas wrote:
(Off topic) Congratulations to your 5000th post, Roberta!

Thanks, Thomas. Finally made it to veteran. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:55 am
The instructor of that video (a cadet/officer candidate btw) was dismissed today.
The soldier who made the video is still being investigated by the Defense Ministry.

The prosecution office Kiel has opened an inquiry as well.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:17 am
Good news, Walter.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:35 am
I'm glad that the instructor was dismissed. I'm glad that there will be an inquiry. But I'm sad that someone's mind works that way. That lots of minds work that way.

I think I'm having a bad day. The title of a Wordsworth poem come to mind: The World Is Too Much with Us.

Thanks, Walter, for letting me know the latest. I appreciate it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:10 am
[url=http://de.news.yahoo.com/18042007/3/bundeswehrverband-sieht-maengel-offiziers-ausbildung.html]DPA, the German equivalent of AP and Reuters[/url], wrote:
Bundeswehrverband sieht Mängel bei Offiziers-Ausbildung

Berlin (dpa) - Bei der Suche nach den Ursachen für das Verhalten eines Offiziersanwärters benennt der Bundeswehrverband Mängel in der Offiziersausbildung. Der Fahnenjunker hatte bei einer Rekruten- Ausbildung Afroamerikaner aus der New Yorker Bronx zum Feindbild gemacht. Der Offiziersanwärter habe offensichtlich nicht gewusst, dass der Respekt vor der Menschenwürde für den Bundeswehrsoldaten oberstes Gebot sei, sagte der Verbandsvorsitzende Bernhard Gertz der Zeitung «Die Welt».

Rough translation:

German Armed Forces Federation sees shortcomings in officer training

In searching for the causes of a cadet's behavior, the German Armed Forces Federation is naming deficiencies in officer training. During recruit training, the ensign had declared as enemies Afro-Americans from the Bronx in New York. The ensign evidently had not known that respect for human dignity is the highest highest imperative for a Bundeswehr soldier, said Bernhard Gertz, the chairman of the federation, to the newspaper "Die Welt".
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:27 am
[quote="Thomas

respect for human dignity is the highest highest imperative for a Bundeswehr soldier, said Bernhard Gertz, the chairman of the federation, to the newspaper "Die Welt".[/quote]

Thanks, Thomas. It's good to read this.
0 Replies