Maria Sharapova and American Citizenship

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:30 pm
Maria Sharapova has been an American citizen for quite some time now, and yet she continues to play for Russia and calling herself a Russian.

I don't understand this: How could someone retain the citizenship of the country of their birth after having stayed in the United States for such a long time?

Are there any rules/clauses that let people have this kind of freedom? I am really interested in this.

Perhaps, this thread is better suited for the legal matters forum. If so, please move it, moderators.

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,276 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:39 pm
does she play for russia in the davis cup?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:42 pm
There is a lot of precedent for this in sports. (I'm not in a googleing mood at the moment.)
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:44 pm
Actually, Davis Cup is a contest for male players. Fed Cup is the female equivalent of it. So far, she hasn't played on it. Not that she doesn't want to, the Russian tennis federation invited her a couple of years ago, but the other players on their team revolted and threatened to leave in the event of Sharapova getting a spot on the national team.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:45 pm
she's a hot young girl the rules don't apply
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:39 pm
Re: Maria Sharapova and American Citizenship
spidergal wrote:
Maria Sharapova has been an American citizen for quite some time now, and yet she continues to play for Russia and calling herself a Russian.

I don't understand this: How could someone retain the citizenship of the country of their birth after having stayed in the United States for such a long time?

Are there any rules/clauses that let people have this kind of freedom? I am really interested in this.

Yes, it's called dual citizenship or dual nationality. Just because she's an American citizen, she doesn't have to give up her Russian citizenship. She can be an American citizen AND a Russian citizen at the same time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:41 pm
More here:

http://stpetersburg.usconsulate.gov/citizen_dual.htm

It mostly just confirms that one can have U.S. and Russian dual citizenship (not all countries allow that).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:00 pm
Actually, are you sure Sharapova is an American citizen?

She lives here, but I haven't been able to find anything about her being a citizen.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:47 am
Thank you, Sozobe, and I apologize for the ambiguity in the first post. I shouldn't have used the word "citizen". I, too, can't find any sources that show she is an American citizen.
0 Replies