Advanced WindowsCare v2 Personal

Kepar

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 10:55 pm
My brother happened across a program called Advanced WindowsCare v2 Personal. It's website is iobit.com. He is very happy with the program. The program is free and it seems to do everything. He swears by it. What can anyone tell me about the program? Is it safe? Should I consider installing it as well?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,313 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:37 am
Your own brother says an program is good, but you'd rather hear the views of a bunch of strangers on the Internet? Well, I've never heard of this program, and I won't be trying it because (a) that website isn't working for me (b) I am wondering if your post is a thinly disguised advertisement.

In answer to your question, we don't know what the program does, you seem a little hazy on that point, so I can see no reason to install it. Also, my computer has worked fine up to now without me having heard of it, so my advce to you is don't install it. If it screws up your computer, what redress will you have? None.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 04:55 am
I know nothing about this program. A quick "Google" led me to these reviews, which are mixed, at best. The overriding thing that I found in the reviews is that sometimes that program can make a mess of your computer. I would suggest that you stay away from it.

http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Advanced-WindowsCare/Advanced-WindowsCare.html
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 05:55 am
Phoenix32890, that link you provided made interesting reading. It seemed to contain an equal mix of posts saying "don't touch this POS with a 9 foot pole", and others saying "This software is GREAT! Download it NOW!!!" written shortly after the other kind. This makes me suspicious to say the least, but I could not see why anyone would bother to talk-up a free program in this way. Enlightenment dawned when I read this "A Pro Edition can also be purchased that offers additional optimization features."

It sounds like a program that does badly what three or four other separate programs do well.
0 Replies

Kepar

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
Contrex, I apologize for being vague. My brother is not an advanced computer user nor am I. I am just a bit more leary of programs offered for free than he is. I am trying to make an informed decision. It is true that you are strangers, but able2know is a trusted website that has helped me through computer issues in the past. I value the opinions of its members.
Thank you Phoenix 32890 and Contrex for your input.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:45 am
Kepar- Before I download any free program, or install any program for that matter, I check it out on a respected website. Tucows is one of them:

http://www.tucows.com/

PC World is another:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/

I always want to know what people who know more than I do about computers have to say about a program.

There are many fine free programs out there, but you need to know how to recognize a good one. For instance I use the free Zone Alarm Firewall. One year I used the Pro version which is not free. I found that it was much more than I needed, and a bit of a pain in the neck. So when it expired, I downloaded the free version, which more than meets my needs.

Picasa ( a photo program) is wonderful for the average photographer who does not want anything too fancy, and costs nothing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:43 am
Aaaah...I saw the rating on TuCows, and found myself wondering how reliable they are.

They're good, eh, Phoenix?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:47 am
Dlowan- I have found Tucows to be pretty reliable in the past. In this case, it appears that the company likes the program a lot better than the users.

One never knows when a company has an "agenda". That's why I always check in a few places. That goes for all sorts of products, and stores that I buy from on the internet. When I go on shopping bots, I love to look at the lousy ratings. I think that people tend to bitch when they are unhappy, but not say much when things go well. I look for patterns of dissatisfaction.
0 Replies

Kepar

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 10:03 am
Phoenix32890- Thanks for the information. As I mentioned previously, I do like to make informed decisions and that's why I came here. I really don't know which sites are reliable and which have agendas. Thanks for your insight and links to sites I can count on for reliable information. In fact, it is because of able2know that I too run the free version of zone alarm and I also use the Lavasoft Adaware. But with so much junk out there that can damage our computers, I look for anything I can that I think will help protect me.
0 Replies