Looking for some TOS guidance. [answered]

squinney

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:59 am
HA! This thread by someone who just referred to Bear as a white bitch on another thread?

(Oh, wait. He BETTER have been referring to BEAR! He surely doesn't wanna tango with this ho.)

Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 09:39 am
squinney wrote:
HA! This thread by someone who just referred to Bear as a white bitch on another thread?

(Oh, wait. He BETTER have been referring to BEAR! He surely doesn't wanna tango with this ho.)

Laughing

I think white bitch was used as a term of endearment on that thread. Read for context dear. And Drew, don't touch my butt in front of the fellas.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 10:41 am
Chai, Freeduck, when will you stop being idiots?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 10:52 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the inability of many to answer the question "are you an idiot?"...is this a telling characteristic or merely an avoidance technique? Because if it is the latter that would make the person a pussy as well as an idiot.... let us discuss this.... but please, let's not get idiotic about it.

Sometimes the question is asked quite literally.

"How long have you been off your anti-psychotics?" can also be a serious question.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:06 am
DrewDad wrote:
Chai, Freeduck, when will you stop being idiots?

Only an idiot answers a question with a question.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:20 am
DrewDad wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
IMO, those that "get away with it" most often are established members.

We have simply refined the fine art of debate.

"You're an idiot" is an attack.

"That's idiotic" refutes an argument.

"Are you an idiot?" indicates an open mind.

This is the very essence of telling slack-jawed idiots that they are slack-jawed idiots without getting bounced for it . . .
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:28 pm
I for one learned a great deal last night...

Au1929 is a plagiarist...
Brooklyn has many weed distribution centers...
It stinks here....
Chai is an idiot...
Set is simple minded....and has no grasp of sociology....
Sometimes Pepsi is cheaper than Coke....
Au1929 has short term memory problems....
I {me} am an idiot by association....
Au1929 has excellent cutting and pasting skills...
Nesting posts reaches critical mass at 22....
Vulvas can be considered art deco...
White folks smell like milk...
Gargamel sleeps very late, 8pm ish...and has a small cranium...
French Canadians have trouble figuring things out...
Snood is not very good at being a black man....
This site spews ****....{should someone call a plumber?}...
Osso is a needy ho...
O'Bill indulges in fantasies about Osso...
Jane used her last Sharpi....
Osso has a shallow mind...
Jane is a dimwit...dimwit....

Anyone I failed to mention by name, and even those that I did, should consider themselves a general moron...as I believe that was the overall message.

And that was from one thread....after that, all others pale in comparison...and I'm finding it hard to read them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:41 pm
gee - almost makes me wish I was online last night.

er, not!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:10 pm
If I'm a general moron, then by damn somebody outta be salutin'!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:11 pm
I am a moron and an idiot.
oh, I almost forgot stupid too.
I have proof. I report myself. Now I ask you all how stupid is that?

As far as irritating. Let me see. What was I told.
Suck it up.

What I have seen in all of you (not together) is intelligence, humor, seriousness, caring, passion.........I hate to make your heads get bigger.

What does that all have to do with TOS. I don't know and I don't care.
I do however read the TOS and try to follow them. Sometimes things are not black and white. Sometimes exceptions should be made. Why?

BECAUSE IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
I am not yelling by saying that. I did that because someone dear to me was killed. In order to save others the rules were broken. Those rules have never been allowed to be broken before. It was a first. I am so proud they broke those rules and they did it because it was the right thing to do. I am proud of them.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:24 pm
DrewDad wrote:
If I'm a general moron, then by damn somebody outta be salutin'!

Ten-hut....Salutes....pokes self in eye.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:58 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing < in reference to myself

I forgot dumb and weird too. Sometimes on rare occasions I do have intelligence.
Then It is taken. I don't find that in the TOS anywhere.

This forum (which is the people) makes me laugh and helps me learn.

I found out recently how important that really is. To tell people that impact your life. Almost every regular member on here has impacted my life positively. So, thank you. That is in the TOS- be courteous
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:01 am
Hi DrewDad,

Thank you for asking.

DrewDad wrote:
I've seen members consistantly insult the other thread participants ("idiot," "moron," etc.) and not get disciplined. Should I bother reporting these? It seems like a violation of 5 & 6, but I hate to waste the mods' time.
I don't want people to be able to insult with impunity, but where's the line?

The reason why you aren't seeing disciplining is because the Mods are doing their jobs properly. Disciplinary actions are confidential. Even people who are being suspended (and sometimes it might be so short that you might not notice, but trust me, the person being suspended does notice) deserve confidentiality. Hence it can look like nothing is happening when something is. Even if it makes us on the Mod team look bad, lazy or biased, we won't reveal these confidences. Yes, they're that important to us.

Also, just in general, we tend to discuss a lot of things in ModLand. Hence action may end up being taken later than the general membership might be expecting because we are looking for a consensus and people are at work or hanging around with their families or otherwise offline. Or they're just thinking about things. We pride ourselves on not going off half-cocked when something happens. Hence an acknowledgment type of response might come from the Help Desk (as a for instance), but it doesn't mean we're necessarily done with discussing something. We try to get a quick response out from the Help Desk because our users expect that, but then we take our time to talk and weigh the issues.

Some disciplining is all but invisible to the general membership. A quick pull of an offensive post might, if anything, evoke a feeling that something was there but it's unclear what that something was. Or a fast lock and unlock to give the topic participants a chance to regroup and cool down would look, to someone who wasn't around during the lock, as if it never happened. A short suspension might just look like someone took a few days off; you wouldn't know they'd been suspended unless they told you.

Some disciplining is more readily apparent. Longer term locks are going to be seen by more of the membership. A lot of pulled posts, particularly if a patchwork of pulls makes a topic lose some of its contextual clarity, is going to be more obvious. Longer-term suspensions are bound to be noticed by someone. Plus, of course, if members talk about their own disciplinary actions, well, we can't prevent that. You won't hear it from us, but you might hear it from them. And, naturally, there's always the rumor mill.

If you see something, report it. We can't be in 1,000 places at once. I wish we could. So we're dependent on your reports. We will look at what was reported, and we will talk about it. By the way, please don't assume something's been reported. I'd rather receive a slew of reports than not get any.

There is no intelligence test to join A2K. There is no political litmus test. There is no test of tastefulness or tact.

There is, though, a lot of balancing that goes on behind the scenes at A2K, between opening the door to as much reasoned debate as possible without shutting off the fun and some of the more freewheeling parts of the site. We tend to lean more towards openness and away from heavy-handedness. We don't like having Mod fingerprints all over every topic, every post and every member of the site. Everyone has differing levels of sensitivity to such things. What bothers one particular person or, alternatively, is acceptable or even desirable to them, may or may not be in accordance with the overarching vision of the site.

So, report. You're not bothering us. We want to hear from you. Not just you, DrewDad, but everyone.

Thank you.

PS I am now locking this topic.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:45 pm
@jespah,
Lock my thread, will you?
0 Replies