DO NOT GO SEE CREMASTER 3!!!

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:03 pm
So, I showed up and everyone in the art community was there. This is tagged as an artsy movie, and Mr. Barnes had a show at (was it the Guggenhiem?). So that's why I'm here to warn you.

Cremaster 3 was one of the worst movies Iv'e ever seen in my life. That's pretty bad, as Iv'e gone out of my way to look for bad movies. This movie has cleary had so much work put into it, and so much overbearing direction, it's not one of those intentionally bad to be fun movies. It was pretentious, long, boring, and badly directed. There were a few scenes with stunning graphics, but not enough to make up for the long (3 hours with an intermission), repetative movie. It could have been summed up into an okay 15 minute film. Also, there is no talking in the film. It had large, somewhat vague social themes like skilled vs. unskilled work, man vs. society, old vs. new, and man vs. god. There were lots of obscure references. A few memorable points, like a line of girls with lamb ears, eerily decaying track horses, and some other odd sights. But don't get me wrong, this was a BAD movie. What is Bjork doing with Matthew Barnes? Will her baby end up half retarded?

To quote Cecil, a person I went to see it with: " If I can prevent enough people from seeing this movie, my life will have had a purpose."

consequently, what is wrong with these people?
http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=3219
http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/cremaster3/

I think they all said it was good because they don't know about art and they are afraid to say somthing was not good for fear the art world would think them un-intellectual. I demand better from my ciritics!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,121 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 09:55 am
I gather this film was not your cup of tea. Laughing
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 02:04 pm
Not mine either; but it did receive a 68 on metacritic and a 7.0 on IMDB. Chacun a son gout.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:15 pm
there's art

then there's AAAAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrttttt!

Which is only one consonant away from AAAAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggg!

having said that... what I've read of Cremaster 3 (et al) makes me want to see it... but not go out of my way to find it.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:45 pm
Haha, yes, exactly. It is AAAAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrrttttttTTTTTT!

another quote from Cecil about this movie: "Imagine you're driving all the way across the country, and there's a large billboard every 10 feet."

Barnes Screams out his vague theme, nailing it into the viewer repetatively over a long period of time. I think the entire movie can be summed up into "Life sucks, and I'm smarter than you are."

It wouldn't have made me so angy if it hadn't had SO much work and money put into it, and if it wasn't SO highly praised among this country's looney critics. They were probably just really happy not to be rating another "Maid in Manhattan."

If you do go see it, tell me what you think.
0 Replies