Adult teenagers

stach

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 02:50 pm
Some of you have read my previsous posts and maybe remember there was a discussion about high school students as children and as such being at risk of abuse etc. I don't want to bring up that subject again, but rahter something related to it that I recently found out. What I found out is that most of the students we discussed here some time ago and we had some fights over it are actually adults.

When I was a student at high school, we would graduate at the age of 18. So even when we became 18 in our last high school grade, we didn't feel like Now leave me alone, I am not a kid any more, but we knew that we will be on our own and responsible fully for our lives in a few weeks.

So as I am teaching the grade before last now, I took it for granted that they are 17 at most. But because these students took an extra grade sometime in the past, they end up being 18 or even 19 and they still have to study for almost two years before they graduate.

I am writing about this because this fact changes something about the attitude or the whole situation and ethical and legal aspects of teaching these adults. IN our country, which is the Czech Republic, you become legally adult at 18. You can marry, have children, you don't have to go to school ( that is at 14 I guess), you don't have to work, you can become a hermit or a tycoon, it is all up to you. So I noticed and I also heard from some of the students the opinion that it is ridiculous when teachers try to change their morals, discipline them or treat them as kids in general. I notice quite clearly that they act in a very independent and sometimes adult way and in some situations they act like crazy teenagers, irresponsible and having a hard time controlling themselves.

In this situation I asked myself: Isn't high school at the point when a student reaches 18 years of age, a kind of service, a kind of business and the students become customers rather than kids that we teachers have to look after?

The moment when I come to a classroom and the lesson begins and there is a student who is 19 and ignores my presence or when they don't listen to me when I am teaching something, it seems as if clients or customers told a company or a bank: I am not interested in your product.

THis is something that basically never happens when you teach a group of young people, maybe even the same age, at a company or at a course. I taught a lot at companies and language school and I don't remember any slightest hint of discipline problems. OR maybe my memory is bad. But seriously, no, no problem.
Because they - at a company - treat you as a product and they buy you.
They never disturb or ignore you when you come to the classroom because they are hungry for or at least interested in your product. At public high school, the general message I get at 4 pm from these 18 or 19 yuear old students is:
Oh, no, not another lesson, we are exhausted and we want to go home or at least have some fun.

At this point, I am confused, because I am offering my product to customers who tell me they are too tired and not interested. But it is not so simple, there are maybe 50 or 80 %, depending on a class or time or situation in the class, that still want your product. So these interested ones deserve a quality lesson.
So it is your job to tame the bad customers. It is a very strange situation to me. It is something like having a nice restaurant where most clients like your food, like the music, the staff, but there is a bunch of drunk people in the corner who spoil the evening for the other customers. Unless I kick them out.

In contrast, when I teach at a different kind of high school, where the atmosphere is more serious, more academic and students show much more interest in their grades and feel responsible for quality of their work, I don't have to deal with this school-product-customer-annoyed thing.
Also, there I don't teach adult students, but 15 or 16 year old teens and the school treats them as objects of ethical education - I mean the school somehow feels responsible for their behavior and look after them. We really don't have a word that translates what I mean, we have already discussed this before to no avail. It is something like school represents alternative parents to the students. It is not my opinion, it is a fact in our country. The students accept that as a fact, even if they don't like it sometimes.

So this post is about how you guys see the situation when a kid becomes legally adult and the shool becomes a public service rather than an institution for educating youths. Which I have never heard in our country, I have never come across this problem - what I feel in our public schools is that the school changes nothing when they turn 18. But what I have heard a lot from our headmaster is something like this: They have finished compulsory education and now our school doesn't have to put up with them, if they are not interested in our school, we will better expell them.

I know there are rules everywhere. You can't smoke at McDonald's even if you are 100 years old and students are not allowed to drink alcohol at university campuses in the US, no matter their age. There are rules and when they are broken, there are simple and clear measures. But at high school I feel the way we teachers treat these adult students in our country is still as if they were stuck to our school like glue, or irresponsible kids and when we punish them we do so to change them. If a restaurant kicks you out because you are yelling, they dont' do it to change your moral profile. THe restaurant doesnt' care. But the school cares - we try to get in touch with the parents and seek help in the student's families and this is confusing. But when a student goes too far showing total lack of interest, then the shool recommends expelling or expells the student.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 859 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:03 pm
Ahoj Stach, tesim sa ze je tu aj niekto iny "od nas".

To your issue though:

It is not the people in the classroom that are the customers. If you want to go by the business analogy (which doesn't necessarily apply to ALL things in life), the customers are their parents who pay taxes. And the state who pays for the education from those taxes. So you owe it to those two to teach well. Students in public schools are not paying customers, yet they are the primary consumers... I think the business analogy here doesn't really help much. It's about how to keep kids interested, whether or not they are legally adult.
BTW, compulsory education is up to 16 years of age, not 14, isn't it?
0 Replies

stach

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:00 pm
servus dagmaraka, no vlastne som napol slovak po mame

I am still struggling to understand what is going on in these public high schools. It is so, so complex. I took a TEFL course a couple of years ago.
I guess I understood all the principles and tricks they taught and I came to a company or tutored a manager or an office worker and stuck to those principles of professional TEFL work and it worked. But it was often very boring.

Now teaching at a public high school is a challenge, challenge, challenge and I don't remember when I was bored last time. I never used to spend my free time thinking about work. Now I do it very often . So what TEFL gave me. I think about 50 percent of the TEFL principles apply and work at public high school. 50 percent don't work. So I have to figure out the remaining 50 percent on my own. THe psychology of a group of 18 year old high school student working within a class that is compulsory - as far as they are current students - is so complex and the group dynamics and all kinds of things.

The reason why 50 percent of TEFL stuff doesnt work is that you have to push them push them push them all the time. You don't have to push students at courses or companies. You encourage them and praise them.
At public high school you push and have to mix criticism and praise so that it leads to the best results. THis is still not so complicated and it makes sense. ANd it works with most students in most classes. But then you have one class of 16 kids- adults late in the afternoon and three of them are kind of crazy. Then you start asking yourself questions: What the heck is going on here? Because you go there trying to teach. And a couple of students act like We don't care. And the group of students who want you to teach also expect you that you nail the ones who don't want you to teach. It is crazy. IT even sometimes gets to a paradox when a student of mine who respects me and wants me to teach scolds another student who is acting crazy. There are these little subgroups of students who support me, who don't care and who hate me(or pretend to). And these subgroups secretly fight, sometimes openly in class, Sometimes I notice, sometimes they hide it. They fight for the right to be left alone by me or the right to be taught. Don't get me wrong, I keep teaching but I notice these different attitudes of different students.

I was quite lost before I took the TEFL course. Of course, I didn't have to work on discipline, but I didn't understand what was going on psychologically in class and how to make a lesson entertaining and how to encourage students. I remember I almost gave up, almost broke up because I just couldn't cope with my lack of knowledge. TEFL made me a full professional - teaching in the private area. But now I lack the knowledge I need to understand the comlicated life of a public teacher.
Of course, I studied education at university for 5 years. I have a master's degree. Yes, piles of useless theories. A bit of psychology, a bit of methodology, a bit of this, a bit of that, and after all you understand almost nothing. What makes a quality high school teacher is - as I see it - 80 percent understanding how to teach your subject. 20 percent of understanding psychology of teenagers. Especially if you teach
something like languages or literature. I remember our science teachers had exact numbers and rules how to evaluate and they basically could ignore our psychological problems. They just had numbers. But a language teacher has to evaluate very vague things and has to count on very subtle psychological reactions from students. It is really not easy to decide how to encourage, how to cricicize, how to grade, how to punish, how to stop and how to let go. I feel it even in my smooth classes, even when I don't deal with problems, I feel there are so many emotions going on, subtle emotions and the teacher triggers or prevents these emotions. I basically feel that I deal with lots of all kinds of emotions of students within a lesson. About 10 times more than in a language school. And I have to somehow regulate and control all these complicated emotions. I have to switch from positive to neutral to negative maybe hundred times a lesson.
IT is really a strange job.

Don't think I am the only person who struggles with a couple of troublemakers. I hear about all kinds of bad students in our school. They skip class, smoke, are rude, etc... even the headmaster struggles. But then really, if they are adults, what is the relationship between the school and them? Why do students cool down once they show up at universities?
Maybe because they fix their self-esteem. The students I struggle with are the kinds who have very low self-esteem. I get along perfectly with all those who are confident.

But this is not so difficult as it seems. It is something like having a healthy body, but a thorn in your side. You focus on your thorn sometimes and forget that your body overally is doing fine. I know I am doing fine overally, otherwise I would be desperate. I just want to know the rest.

And I have gone off topic. I wouldn't even know how to call this topic.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:11 pm
I think that the students' age is irrelevant. What difference does it make in a classroom whether someone is 17 or 18. They're all students. You need to find a way to deal with the troublemakers so that the rest of your students don't suffer.

I doubt that students "cool down" when they go to college. It's not likely that the inattentive students will go to college.

Have you discussed these problems with other teachers. Have they found effective ways of dealing with such people in their classrooms?
0 Replies

stach

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:28 pm
the thing is the critical class I am talking about is the worst at school, they have the worst grades and the students act like We are adults, we don't care and leave us alone. THere are exceptions of course. Nobody knows what to do. I really don't understand why the school doesn't set rules that would be more strict and threaten to expell the students who cause problems. The school should really not care about a destiny of a 19 year old person. I would do my best not to expell a student until they are 18. I would protect such a student and work with the parents and try to find solution. But I really don't understant the tolerance toward the adult troublemakers. I am sure they desperately want to graduate, because without the diploma they can't go to university. They want the school provide education, get diplomas and get out. On the way they give teachers a hard time. I was very tolerant toward them until I found out they are already adults. Becasue we cant' do anything. Their parents never come to school, the teachers haven't seen the parents for years, I mean we deal with independent people here, not kids. WHO cared about me when i was 19? Nobody. I had to survive, and I had a hard time surviving and finding my place in the society. I will not be politically correct but the students I am talking about are simply stupid. Not intellectually stupid. Socially stupid.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:38 pm
hmm, that's tough. any chance of building individual relationships, talking to them one on one? even troublemakers and teenagers, should be appreciative of that.
i never taught in high school, only college. which is about the same age, but american rich kids who are sent away from home by their parents in hopes of making some sort of humans out of them. but still, college is private and expensive and i'm sure that troublemakers are way smaller in numbers.
yet, i always made a point of meeting with each student one on one repeatedly during office hours. i showed movies, took them out for field visits, made picnics outside. (i know, hard to imagine a picnic in a czech high school...). the class would bond, but not against me.
i'm sure you probably tried multiple things... so this is mostly to offer sympathy and understanding. i wish more teachers cared as much as you do.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:12 pm
dagmaraka, I am not very balanced today. Thanks for your support. yesterday I had a better regime, sleep, food etc and took all problems positively, today I am a bit whining.

Anyway, I already blew the individual thing- I mean I get along suberbly with most of my students and don't get along at all with about 5 of them, as some ppl here already know.
But I never really got along with the trouble makers even at the beginning. Even before I started to make mistakes.
I get respect from strong and talented people and don't get along with people who are lazy and socially agressive. My best friends are extremely successful people in society. Doctors, scientists, bankers, famous musicians and writers. I am not boasting, it is just strange. I sometimes wonder why they picked me as a friend, I am an average high school teacher, even if a kind of artist and philosopher in my free time.

Anyway, when I started to teach at this high school, I naively thought I could be friendly with all of the students. The kind of people I don't get along with are the kind who wait until I show a weak spot or do something stupid. They don't like you at the beginning because they don't believe they could like you and when you make a mistake, which I made a few or more, they have a proof that you are that bad or wrong person who they thought you actually were. It is simplified but it usually works like that.

There was a concern once here at the forum that I too much cared about whether students like me or not. Well, For a while I thought it was a good indicator of something. Now after gaining more experience, it is a very vague indicator of anything. So I dumbed this aspect. I am really interested in what is going on between a teacher and students. But I could also say it simply: The socially mature and stable students work and get along with the teacher who is willing to work well and has something to say and teach.
The socially insensitive, naive and inexperienced teacher will collide with the socially unstable, emotianally immature etc. These two kinds inevitably clash. I can only hope that I learn and mature as soon as possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:18 pm
I have a lot to speak about relative to just your first post. I'll try to come back and approach it point by point tomorrow.
0 Replies

stach

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:34 am
thanks ossobuco, i think other than trying to analyze, i should also forget about the whole thing a lot and rest in my free time because when one is refreshed and positive, solving problems is easier and more intuitive
0 Replies

stach

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 05:40 am
well, i didn't mean to say that i am not interested in any replies

it was just mental mumbling at the beginning of the weekend
0 Replies