USB vs. Ethernet connection

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:15 am
Does anyone know the difference between a USB connection and an Ethernet connection. When I was hooked up to High Speed, the installer said my ethernet connection would not work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 626 • Replies: 6
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:22 am
Ethernet is for network and usb is usually for devices (though that could be a modem). Can you give a little more information?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:26 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Ethernet is for network and usb is usually for devices (though that could be a modem). Can you give a little more information?

Thanks FreeDuck, It seems as this must be classified information. The installer couldn't tell me, Dell support skirted around the question.
The installer did say that it was a problem with my Dell processor.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:34 am
USB and ethernet are both ways of connecting but without getting into all the details, they connect differently.

USB is usually used to connect to devices. All USB devices communicate the same way.
Ethernet is not as plug and play as USB is. Ethernet requires set up of the device to communicate.

Without knowing what kind of high speed you were using and the devices it is difficult to tell you exactly why or if the installer was even correct with what he said.
1. The modem may not have been able to connect to ethernet for a number of reasons, no DHCP server, no ethernet port.
2. Your computer may have had problems with its ethernet card or drivers.
3. You may have been running a home network not compatible with your IP provider for some reason.

As long as you can connect, there isn't much of a problem. You can use the one computer hooked up to the modem by USB as a proxy server if you want to network internet to other computers.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:46 am
snookered wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Thanks FreeDuck, It seems as this must be classified information. The installer couldn't tell me, Dell support skirted around the question.

How old is your Dell? Can you connect to other ethernet connections?

The only thing I can come up with is it could be an issue with drivers for an onboard lan connection. If that is the issue, others will have the problem as well and there should be an updated driver.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:52 am
Many high-speed connections require PPPoE (point-to-point protocol over Ethernet; it sends a username/password combo before the ISP will issue an IP address), rather than straight Ethernet.

If this is the case, either the laptop doesn't support PPPoE through the Ethernet port, or the installer wasn't allowed and/or qualified to configure it.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:59 am
parados wrote:
snookered wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

How old is your Dell? Can you connect to other ethernet connections?

The only thing I can come up with is it could be an issue with drivers for an onboard lan connection. If that is the issue, others will have the problem as well and there should be an updated driver.

My Dell is one year old. Your right I'll search the Dell support sight...thanks
0 Replies