Victims Angered and Upset by Ruling Freeing Molesters

au1929

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:31 am
Victims Angered and Upset by Ruling Freeing Molesters

By JOHN M. BRODER

LOS ANGELES, July 12 — George Neville Rucker, an 82-year-old former Roman Catholic priest, was on a two-month cruise off the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, when, the authorities said, his past finally caught up with him.
Alaska state troopers arrested him, harnessed him on a tug boat and returned him to Los Angeles, where he faced charges of molesting 12 girls over 30 years, starting a year after he was ordained as a priest in 1946. If convicted, he faced a possible prison sentence of 26 years.
But this week, before any evidence was presented to a jury, Mr. Rucker walked out of court a free man.
He is among perhaps hundreds of people in California who are being freed from trial or jail as a result of a United States Supreme Court ruling on June 26 overturning a 1993 California law that allowed charges against child molesters protected by a previous deadline on prosecutions.
State officials said the decision affected as many as 800 people accused of sexual offenses or already convicted.
The ruling and the release of the offenders has infuriated victims and frustrated prosecutors.

Do you agree with the USSC courts ruling? Or is it your opinion that the supreme court dropped the ball?
Complete article at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/13/national/13ABUS.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,152 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:49 am
Because molesters are mostly repeat offenders, I think there should be an open season on prosecuting them - If evidence is strong enough to warrant.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:24 pm
The USSC didn't drop the ball on anything here. While I'd guess that I'd take great personal pleasure in torturing some of the people who are getting away scott free because of the ruling, the idea of retroactive laws being implemented left and right is even scarier than these sickos.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 02:27 pm
I guess one's perspective would depend on whether their mother, wife or daughter was a victim. c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 02:41 pm
C.I.
They are being returned to the community to prey on additional innocents. I wonder if their names will appear on a known sexual predators list with the residents of the community being made aware. I believe some state laws require such a listing. Same old, same old, the rights of the criminal must be protected.
0 Replies