Need help/comments with a poem

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:45 am
I'm trying to write a poem for my wife for our anniversary and portry is not my strongest suit. Verses 4 and 5 have the same rhyme see, me, free, thee. Is this poor style? Does it detract from what I'm trying to say? I'm also lost as to punctuation.

I'll entertain any comments/suggestions.

UNTIL

I guess I can.
I guess I will.
And for how long?
I guess until.

The day when autumn
days grow long
and night goes on
without the dawn.

And on that day
when breathes are few
and eyelids close
and there is no view

My mind will know
and my heart will see,
what meant most in life
was your love for me.

And once discharged,
my spirit free
will stay behind
to comfort thee.

To caress your cheek
and forestall your tears,
to let you know
my loves still near.

And tender thoughts
I've left behind,
will come anew
to ease your mind.

And so today
these thoughts I've penned;
To swear my love
shall have no end.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,757 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 09:25 am
Morgan, coming from the perspective of a (former) wife and not a poet, I will tell you that I would just melt at your poem! I presume your wife knows your strong suit is not poetry which will make the impact all the greater as well.

The only thing I would like to see, as a wife, is the 1st stanza have the "guesses" be changed into "knows", ie

I know I will
I know I can
But for how long
I know until.

The wimmins I know, including me, appreciate permanence, even into death, rather than guesses; but, just take this from me; you obviously know if your wife would prefer the guesses rather than the knowing ...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 09:49 am
wow yes i melted too!

That is a really lovely poem without being schmaltzy sickly at all - I think no punctuation at all except for the question marks to keep the beautiful simplicity and sincerity of it.

and i agree with sweetcomplications suggestions
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 11:52 am
Morganwood,

Now that I've seen your poem, I know my original assessment of you as a sensitive reflective person was correct.

What a lovely, tender, ...poignant poem!

I agree with the others, your wife will feel the love that shines through it, and melt.

I have a couple of opinions about punctuation and such (they are only my opinion, it's YOUR poem ) but I'll send them to you via pm so as not to clutter up the thread or deflect attention from the important to the inconsequential.

Nice work.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 11:55 am
There aren't any stiff rules concerning the writing of poetry. Express your heart and soul and let the words melt upon the paper.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:38 pm
Just wonderful, Morganwood. If I were your wife, I would weep at such tenderness and committment. You got it!!!
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:56 pm
Thank you all! I didn't think it was that good. After I posted it, I spent a couple of hours reading others work and really found my work to be lacking in comparison.
Again, thankyou.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:04 pm
[quote=" I spent a couple of hours reading others work and really found my work to be lacking in comparison.
[/quote]

not so. I don't praise unless i mean it. I mean it!
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:26 pm
There is a real difference in poetry for critical acclaim, and peotry expressing LOVE, Morganwood.
Love poetry, like yours... mostly just flows fro the heart. You can't improve on that. Smile
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:46 pm
Yes, Morganwood:

what Jackie and Vivien said :wink:
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 06:11 pm
sweetcomplication wrote:
Yes, Morganwood:

what Jackie and Vivien said :wink:

I concur wholeheartedly, it's a lovely and touching poem.

I have two daughters. My stepdaughter has the wonderful character and compassion and honesty that I so loved in her mother, my late fiancee.
She loves alternative music and is a bit of a tomboy who hates dresses.

My biological daughter was a brilliant student and went to an Ivy league college and a top law school. She loves literature and the arts and all the girly stuff.

One of them has dark hair and beautiful brown eyes and one of them has blonde hair (with help from Clairol) and beautiful blue eyes.

I don't compare my two girls and won't tolerate comparisons by others.
I am a bit of a gardener. Would I trade my peony for another rose?
never.

I suppose you can guess where I'm going with this...
like we do with our adored children and our delightful flowers, we need to appreciate each poem for itself.
It's not a competition.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 12:22 pm
Morganwood, Your poem was so dear and tender. The imperfection of it, is what your wife will love the most.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 05:15 pm
Thank you Letty!
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:29 pm
Just to tidy up:
Just got back in town. I drove to Virginia to see Linda for our anniversery (the 21st). She loved the poem. I put it in a photo that I reworked and framed it. I struck with "I guess I can..." first verse because that is the thought that started it all. Thanks for the input and help!!!

(On the other side, she gave me a CANON D10. The bucks didn't balance out but she was as pleased with the thoughts as I was dumbfounded by the camera! All in all, a wonderful visit and we whispered dirty things in each others ears, long into the night!!)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:42 pm
Long into the night.

Miss Rae is smiling. All nights should be long and filled with naughty whispers.

Happy anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. Morganwood.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:49 am
Happy Anniversary from me and the kittens too!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:02 am
A lovely poem, morganwood!
And congratulations on your anniversary. Sounds like a wonderful marriage that you & your wife have there! Very Happy
0 Replies