What Means "I Was Saved"?

cello

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 09:07 am
I have a very simple question, and it is what does the expression "I was saved" mean? Is it the same thing as "communion"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,780 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 09:31 am
I think that when people use the phrase "I was saved" it simply means that they surrendered to the christian belief. They are the born again christians, and the experience of being saved is usually a strong emotional experience, which explains the gravity of it's impact.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 10:09 am
I believe you are right, Cyr. To the born againer, it often represents an excuse for credulity.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 10:25 am
Thank you, Cyracuz and neologist.

I would tend to agree with Cyracuz if it is said of an adult, but I often read the expression like "I was saved at 9" or an early age like that. When I first saw it, I googled "I was saved" and it gave me many religious sites where you see little children saying it. Apparently, this is an important step in their lives, so I wonder if it is a process or a procedure they go through in Church around that age. The only thing I can think of is communion, but I don't know what people do in a communion, and the word communion is so different from "being saved".
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 11:04 am
Neo wrote:
To the born againer, it often represents an excuse for credulity.

I think that is a general human trait. When we lack solid information we make our desicions on an emotional basis. It is more common among the uneducated than among those who have a higher education. But I think everyone does it to a greater or smaller degree, since everyone is uneducated in some aspect or other..

Cello

When a child of the age you mention says these words it is probably more in imitation of something he or she has heard someone else say. I seriously doubt that a child as young as that could have had time to develop such a sense of guilt and "failure" that usually preceeds the sentiment in question.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 01:19 pm
In some denominations, being saved requires a dunk in a river and a baptism to wash away their sins. Again depending on the denomination, this can happen as part of a coming of age ceremony and is done to (for?) children as entry into the adult faith.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 09:50 am
Cyracuz, I tried to find back the Christian forum where I found the children I mentioned, but somehow could not find it. Anyhow, I found another Christian forum where a member (his name is pastor) said his wife was saved at 5, him at 10, and other people he knows at 7 or 9 or something like that. I think this is just Christian terminology and not children repeating those words, nor that they have had negative experiences to be saved.

It would be nice if a Christian member explains these words to me. It is just so that I can understand better the posts of our Christian members. It kind of puts a context when someone says "I was saved at such and such age and ....", I am like, what it means? There is no other purpose for me asking this question.

JPB, that's interesting what you said. The Hindus wash themselves in the river (I can't remember the name) to clear their impurities before worshipping. And I think they shave the hair of young Buddhist monks only when they are considered to be ready. Why do they shave the hair, what is the significance of that, does someone know? I think Catholic nuns shave their hair also.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:24 am
In its simplest religious definition, 'saved' means 'saved from hell' or in other words accepting the salvation, i.e. assurance of eternal life, promised in the New Testament of the Bible. If you're 'saved', you are heaven bound.

There are various schools of thought on how this salvation is acquired.

A few (not many) preach a doctrine of good works; i.e. if you do more good than bad while on Earth, you'll go to heaven instead of hell.

Some Christians teach that you must repent of your sins and accept Jesus as your personal savior in order to be saved. A few (not all that many) require that you do this as well as be a member of their particular denomination.

Some teach that the Church (their own denomination) is Jesus's institution on Earth through which salvation is given. Strict Roman Catholic doctrine teaches this defintion.

And still others teach a concept that Jesus died for everybody's sins and thus all are saved whether they know it or not.

Most Christian groups teach one or a combination of or variations on these particular beliefs.

And some if not most Christians describe personal experience and/or transformation and/or ecounters with God that assured them or assure them that they have been saved.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:24 am
I think it basically means "I became a Christian." There are different specific meanings, how one becomes a Christian.

Once I went to a... Pentecostal? I forget now, sorry. Some church that speaks in tongues and such. The pastor was saving people. This consisted of calling them forward, putting his hand on their forehead, saying stuff, and seeing what happened. If they started having convulsions, they were saved.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 04:32 pm
Thank you, Foxfyre and Sozobe, for your explanations. It is interesting to see how everyone thinks about these words.

I am curious now because the past tense ("was saved") seems to imply a once-in-a-lifetime event. So even if you were saved, and you continue to commit sins, will you be saved another time? This does not seem to fit very well. So I would lean towards the meaning that "you accept Jesus as your personal savior" as Foxfyre said, and as Cyracuz, JPB and Sozobe said more or less about surrendering to the Christian belief, etc. This seems more reasonable to me.

I would like to sincerely thank all the members here who have tried to explain to me this expression. This has been a good learning experience for me. Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 03:53 am
Cello

I do not think that someone who was saved stop sinning. Actually, I think they start sinning, since they start thinking of their actions in terms of sin and repentance from that point.

I can understand how that helps a person who has been a drug addict, for instance. It's a way to start owning up to one's actions and facing them on a regular basis, as opposed to the escape which drug abuse essentially is.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 06:54 pm
Re: What Means "I Was Saved"?
cello wrote:
I have a very simple question, and it is what does the expression "I was saved" mean? Is it the same thing as "communion"?

Well, I think "saved" means different things to different people. However, to many "believers" I think it goes a little deeper than what has been talked about so far. Yes, there is they typical, "I'm saved from hell" explanation. However to someone who takes "christianity" as literally as I did it means much much more than merely being saved from hell. Let me explain if I can.

Yes, hell is a "threat" when you believe there is an "unconditionally loving God" who will send you there if you don't do everything "His" way. However, there is much more to be "saved" from in this world of heathens than just hell. The bible talks a lot in psalms about a "God" who saves His beloved from their enemies. Protects them. Guards them night and day.

So in other words no one can touch you or bring harm to you as long as you are under "God's" protection. And if they do... well it wasn't "God's" fault, you must have sinned in some way, or turned your back on "God" which gave the enemy (Satan) the right to bring something into your life that harmed you in some way. You opened the door for it though by not following the rules.

Then there is being "saved" from yourself basically. As in, "I once was lost but now I'm found..." Found in that you were heading the wrong way, doing the wrong things, but now that you've been "found" by "God" you have someone to direct your steps. To lead you and guide you. To "make your paths strait". Now you are not responsible for making decisions for yourself because "God" does it for you, through the "Holy Spirit".

There is also being "saved" from sickness, because he is Jehovah Rapha, "My healer", so "He" will protect you from becoming sick, or heal you if you do. But if "He" doesn't heal you... well it was somehow in "His" plan so "He" could get the glory through your sickness. OR, you didn't pray hard enough, or maybe had some hidden sin in your life so "He" couldn't hear your prayers.

You are "saved" from worry because "He" is Jehovah Jira, "My provider". So you no longer need to worry about food, clothing, shelter, and other necessities. "He" will take care of all those needs because you are "His" child. While the rest of the world, who has not heard of "Him" or has dismissed "Him" is in poverty because they are not allowed this provision based on the fact that they do not accept "Him" as their father. However... "He" still loves them... right?

You are "saved" from ever feeling alone because "He" is Jehovah Shamma, "You are with me". As a loving father "He" will never leave or forsake you. Never turn an eye away from you. You will be under "His" constant supervision and care. Without neglect. Without denial. As long as you do it "His" way.

Because you see "God" loves unconditionally... As long as you do it "His" way.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:02 am
Romans 10:9 - Show Context
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Comment:
The word "confess" is not indicating the confessing of OUR sins to the lord (as has been erroneously taught) but it means to confess the lord Jesus Christ from sin. (give that some long careful thought)

To take Jesus Christ down from the cross, stop railing on Jesus and wipe the male spit from his face and stop whipping him with our own projected guilt and thus to set him in the throne of your life's seat of power at the right hand of God.

To confess God and the lord from sin is analogous to being "saved".

After all, how could a "sinful" God and lord "save" anybody?
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:04 pm
Quote:
Yes, hell is a "threat" when you believe there is an "unconditionally loving God" who will send you there if you don't do everything "His" way.

Really? I would have thought hell to be more of a threat if one believes in a maniacal, incompentent and hateful god who finds fault with everthing it creates.

Quote:
However, there is much more to be "saved" from in this world of heathens than just hell. The bible talks a lot in psalms about a "God" who saves His beloved from their enemies. Protects them. Guards them night and day.

Sounds like tribal politics and typically human. Surely the "enemies" and "heathens" are equally the responsibility of deity?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 01:40 pm
I was 'saved' at 8, but I managed to escape shortly thereafter. The process entailed reading a number of Biblical passages I didn't really understand, confessing that I was a sinner, and 'accepting' Christ as my savior, which entailed a public pronouncement (to the church congregation) that I understood eternal life could be achieved only through Jesus and asking his forgiveness. The full-submersion baptism was to come later. Hey, I was young, I was foolish, and the peer-pressure was tremendous.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:57 pm
pswfps wrote:
Quote:
Yes, hell is a "threat" when you believe there is an "unconditionally loving God" who will send you there if you don't do everything "His" way.

Really? I would have thought hell to be more of a threat if one believes in a maniacal, incompentent and hateful god who finds fault with everthing it creates.

Quote:
However, there is much more to be "saved" from in this world of heathens than just hell. The bible talks a lot in psalms about a "God" who saves His beloved from their enemies. Protects them. Guards them night and day.

Sounds like tribal politics and typically human. Surely the "enemies" and "heathens" are equally the responsibility of deity?

Exactly. What you say is how things look from the outside of christianity. What I said is how it looks from the inside. Smile It makes no sense. Why would a "God" who loves everyone unconditionally protect some and not others? Regardless of if they "follow" him or not. He loves them all unconditionally right?

It is these kinds of questions that boggle my mind. How did I overlook those kinds of things for so long? How easily can someone be swayed into overlooking things? How is it some are not? That there are some who there was never a doubt in their mind that "God" is a fairy tale? What is it that separates the two? Sets them apart and makes them different?
0 Replies

cello

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:46 pm
Finally! Mills75, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. So this is what it all means "to be saved", a procedure in Church as I guessed. I can now understand why the children referred to it, I was under the impression it had a big effect on them for them to mention it so often. Thank you, Mills75. Smile

Thank you, Treya, for your helpful explanations. Smile The word "saved" can be interpreted different ways for sure. I am trying to understand what you wrote, and it seems to me being saved from your enemies, or saved from the rest of the world, makes it appear as if the world we live in is really hostile and that other men are out there to harm us. And vice versa, the other men might look at us the other way around, i.e. that we are out there to harm them. But if we are all God's children, then why would we need to be saved from each other? Just a question I ask myself.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:48 am
cello in the bible the term "to be saved" refers to being saved from hell or satan. WHen a person repents and makes JEsus their savior, they are saved, having received eternal life in Christ.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:31 am
Treya,

I think religious indoctrination often begins during early childhood. Children tend to accept the conventional wisdom of the society in which they develop - and for good reason. During later life, many will become preoccupied with the more pressing matters of day to day life, having neither time nor inclination to consider some of those fundamental beliefs. Plus there is the tendancy of people, in varying degrees, to believe what makes them feel comfortable. To stick with what they know.

Why do some people venture out into the unknown whilst others are content to stay put? Well, I think in any reasonably healthy society there will always be a mix of conformists and radicalists. Thinkers and doers. The ironic thing is that they often despise each other when in reality, they actually depend upon each other.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 01:12 pm
Speaking from a Christian perspective, I think some--not all--might agree with my remarks following which are just one opinion from among the many:

cello wrote:
Finally! Mills75, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. So this is what it all means "to be saved", a procedure in Church as I guessed. I can now understand why the children referred to it, I was under the impression it had a big effect on them for them to mention it so often. Thank you, Mills75. Smile .

It is important to consider, however, that there are those who are coerced into going through the motions of 'accepting salvation' in their particular congregation or denomination--Mills seems to be stating that he was one of those--and these frequently do reject the religious teaching of their youth once they develop the maturity and courage to do so. You can hardly blame them for tossing aside a childish teaching that is no more credible, to them, than Santa Claus or the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny.

There are others, however, to whom their encounter with a higher Being is quite real and the experience of 'being saved' is both profound and unmistakable. What they know they have 'been saved' from is an uncertain future or death--to be saved means that you have assurance that when your mortal body dies, your spiritual self steps into the next wonderful existence that is prepared for you. It does not usually cause a sinner to suddenly become a saint, but it is a life changing experience that can occur quite young or later or very late in life.

Quote:
Thank you, Treya, for your helpful explanations. Smile The word "saved" can be interpreted different ways for sure. I am trying to understand what you wrote, and it seems to me being saved from your enemies, or saved from the rest of the world, makes it appear as if the world we live in is really hostile and that other men are out there to harm us. And vice versa, the other men might look at us the other way around, i.e. that we are out there to harm them. But if we are all God's children, then why would we need to be saved from each other? Just a question I ask myself

Christian belief--in fact belief of most religions--does not promise peace, harmony, or protection from evil people or salvation from the ugliest parts of human existence. It does promise wisdom, guidance, and abilities to improve the human condition and get at least a bit closer to what the Creator intended for us. If everybody availed themselves of it, there would be a lot less cruelty, hardship, and ugliness in the world.
0 Replies