How many years does state funded education last in the USA?

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:17 am
I had someone insisting, very insistently, to me today that in the USA publicly funded education only goes to year 10.

She said that years 11 and 12 happen in "college" and people have to pay, or get some sort of funding, kind of like university here.

That sounds utterly bats to me, and I said so, equally insistently.

So.......what is the truth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,431 • Replies: 30
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:43 am
i'm pretty sure that canada and the us are the same

this is how it works in the province of ontario

in canada you have kindergarten, then grades 1 through 8 are usually called elementary school, then high school being grades 9 through 12 (there used to be a 13th year)

in the states i think they break up the years a little differently, sort of like 1 through 6 being elementary, 7 through 10 being junior high (maybe 7 - 9), then 11 and 12 being senior high (maybe 10 - 12)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 05:05 am
djjd62 wrote:
i'm pretty sure that canada and the us are the same

this is how it works in the province of ontario

in canada you have kindergarten, then grades 1 through 8 are usually called elementary school, then high school being grades 9 through 12 (there used to be a 13th year)

in the states i think they break up the years a little differently, sort of like 1 through 6 being elementary, 7 through 10 being junior high (maybe 7 - 9), then 11 and 12 being senior high (maybe 10 - 12)

Right. Some school systems do the "Junior High" (aka "Middle School") and others just do a straight 4 year high school. That seems to depend on the size of the school districts.

But as you said, free public education runs through grade 12.

College funding is a mis-mash of things. For Public colleges, the state contributes a portion of their operating costs with the rest being covered by private donations and tuition/fees. There is a Federally run student aid program where students can apply for grants and/or loans and there are various work/study programs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:15 am
Re: How many years does state funded education last in the U
dlowan wrote:
She said that years 11 and 12 happen in "college" and people have to pay, or get some sort of funding, kind of like university here.

Actually, what here in Germany (and in England and France) is in the years 11 and 12 at grammar schools (or equivalent), is - as far as I have noticed - taught in the USA on colleges.
Might be that is the background for this remark?
(Happy Easterbunny, ehem .... happy Easter ¶,¶ Bunny :wink: )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:40 am
Thanks guys.

So...this woman spoke crap, as I thought? I'm not interested in how it gets broken up...from what Fishin said, it's publicly funded through to year 12, right?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:43 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Actually, what here in Germany (and in England and France) is in the years 11 and 12 at grammar schools (or equivalent), is - as far as I have noticed - taught in the USA on colleges.
Might be that is the background for this remark?
(Happy Easterbunny, ehem .... happy Easter ¶,¶ Bunny :wink: )

Ok...so at what point do Americans matriculate?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:45 am
Occasionally--very occasionally--students apply to and are admitted to colleges after completing their Junior or Sophmore year in public (taxpayer funded) high school.

More frequently students in small high schools often take courses in local colleges which count towards either their high school graduation requirements or advanced placement in college or both. Here parents usually pay the tuition money.

Scholarships to two-year community colleges are very common. This would be taxpayer funded for "grades" 13 & 14.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:51 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Occasionally--very occasionally--students apply to and are admitted to colleges after completing their Junior or Sophmore year in public (taxpayer funded) high school.

More frequently students in small high schools often take courses in local colleges which count towards either their high school graduation requirements or advanced placement in college or both. Here parents usually pay the tuition money.

Scholarships to two-year community colleges are very common. This would be taxpayer funded for "grades" 13 & 14.

Yes...but the extraneous stuff just confuses me.

In the USA the 12 years of school are PUBLICLY funded, unless your parents choose to send you to private school, right?

Just yes or no please.

I wanna nail this woman.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:17 am
Wabbit said
Quote:

In the USA the 12 years of school are PUBLICLY funded, unless your parents choose to send you to private school, right?

Just yes or no please.

I wanna nail this woman.

Yes.

p.s. Here in the south, we are taught that matriculation, even in marriage, is a mortal sin.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
dlowan wrote:

Just yes or no please.

Yes

dlowan wrote:

After 12 years of public (or private) school.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:42 am
LionTamerX wrote:
p.s. Here in the south, we are taught that matriculation, even in marriage, is a mortal sin.

heeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

I hear y'all also don't engage in sex, because you're afraid it might lead to dancing . . .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:47 am
Publicly funded education NORMALY is Kindergarten through grade 12, with most graduating around the age of 18 depending on their date of birth. This is for all states.

However, Pre-kindergarten is publicly funded through Head Start for children found to be at risk prior to starting kindergarten, AND

If a student fails, gets a late start, has special needs,etc., publicly funded education can run through age 21 if it takes that student to age 21 to get through the materials covered through grade 12.

In other words, there are exceptions. Basically, k-12 (ages 5-18) but it can be longer (ages 4 - 21) At 21 the person is no longer entitled to publicly funded education.

And that's the facts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:55 am
It used to be longer in some places, in California anyway. The University of California had no tuition until that was changed during the Reagan governership. I think the "fee" my first semester was $26.00.
I don't know if there is tuition in the two year community colleges in CA now.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:26 am
LionTamerX wrote:
Wabbit said
Quote:

Just yes or no please.

I wanna nail this woman.

Yes.

Thank you!!!!

PS: heehee....

JPB wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Just yes or no please.

Yes

dlowan wrote:

After 12 years of public (or private) school.

Thank you again!!!

squinney wrote:
Publicly funded education NORMALY is Kindergarten through grade 12, with most graduating around the age of 18 depending on their date of birth. This is for all states.

However, Pre-kindergarten is publicly funded through Head Start for children found to be at risk prior to starting kindergarten, AND

If a student fails, gets a late start, has special needs,etc., publicly funded education can run through age 21 if it takes that student to age 21 to get through the materials covered through grade 12.

In other words, there are exceptions. Basically, k-12 (ages 5-18) but it can be longer (ages 4 - 21) At 21 the person is no longer entitled to publicly funded education.

And that's the facts.

So...I've nailed her?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:42 am
Yes!

Enjoy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:50 am
squinney wrote:
Yes!

Enjoy!

Lol! I amn't usually this feral about stuff like this, but she was saying a whole lot of stuff that I just KNEW wasn't true, and I gave evidence and all that, but she wouldn't listen, and was SOOOOOOOOO superior about it.

Now I won't see her for another year, I bet, and it will be way too uncool to mention it when I do see her.

Grrrrrr......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 10:01 am
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 01:44 pm
She's wrong. You're right. Full stop.

HOWEVER, one other piece of information that may be helpful (as in if she throws some variation of this at you and you can say "yes but that's a special case..."). I did take college classes in 11th and 12th grade, at no cost to me. For example, when I was in 12th grade and hadn't yet graduated, instead of taking a science class at my high school, I took an astronomy class at the University of Minnesota, and that was paid for. I don't remember the name of the program and don't know how widespread it is.

There are also AP classes, which are a similar concept but work differently in terms of where you take the class. (It is taken by high school students at their school; the class itself is merely at a higher level than standard high school classes.) "AP" stands for "Advanced Placement." You often (maybe always?) get university credit if you pass an exam at the end of the class. So I took, while still in high school, an AP English class that allowed me to skip an introductory university freshman English class. I had that credit on my transcript already, before I started university.

AP classes are usually offered in 11th and 12th grade, and if your opponent has any meat to her argument, that's probably it.

More info:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/about.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 05:43 pm
Thanks guys.

That AP thing is a good idea.....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 09:39 pm
Four-year-old programs are now available in virtually all our public schools here. That would be Pre-Kindergarten, Deb. Kindergarten typically starts at age 5. So, if you count Pre-K, Kindergarten and the regular 12 grades, that's 14 years of publicly-funded education. For schools in small towns and communities that don't offer Pre-K (yet...it's coming), it's 13 years 'til graduation.
0 Replies