Nostalgic disapointments

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:17 am
I bought and watched Jabbawocky recently.
I remembered it as a great film form my teens.
On seeinng it last night, even tho it was visually stunning, I didnt actually enjoy it that much.

Has this happened to any of you?
Do you steer clear of your old favourites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 934 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:37 am
well...

I was never a big Star Wars fan, have only seen the original movie. When I first saw the movie it was like "WOW - This is AMAZING!"

I've seen parts of it since, and it's so corny.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:48 am
Emmanuelle didn't have half the effect on me recently, as it did when I was a teenager. :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:49 am
I don't think Emmanuelle was shown in the US, malek.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:31 am
I saw My Brilliant Career when it first came out years ago, and then watched it many years later. I loved it at first view, but the second time, years later, I found it to be kind of abysmal.

Same goes for the Chet Baker Let's Get Lost film. I romanticized it and then years later thought it was just plain depressing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:51 am
Gala, it looks as though a new movie, The Prince of Cool, the biography of Chet Baker, is soon to be released. If you are interested:

http://chetbakertribute.com/about.htm

I recently watched the original movie, The Dead Zone, and had forgotten how good it was. AMC is an excellent place to rediscover the old.

Chai, I wouldn't watch Star Wars again either.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:08 am
Thanks for posting the information Letty.

Chet Baker wasted away-- he didn't read music, but had an instinct for it. He was quite a looker when young, but the drugs caught up with him.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:30 pm
I recently watched A Nightmare On Elm Street again (the first one) which terrified me as a child. I laughed my ass off it was so ****.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:24 pm
"Star Wars" is not watchable without a large 16.9 wide screen (which is still not Panavision, but the films are often letterboxed, cutting the resolution by a rather large percentage). The home surround sound system has to also be adequate. All the films are still big screen, special effects extravaganza space opera. The best storyline was "The Empire Strikes Back."
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:22 pm
Horse pucky. Star Wars is watchable anytime on any size screen (excluding, of course, the excrement that was released as Episodes I, II, and III).

Night of the Demons (1988) was one of the scariest movies I watched when I was a kid (B horror, straight to video I think). I'm not sure why; by that time I had seen most of Freddy's, Jason's, and Michael Myer's greatest hits (though I hadn't yet seen The Exorcist). I watched it again in the mid-90s while I was in college and realized how badly and truly it sucked. It was heartbreaking.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:28 pm
saw jabberwocky again recently and still loved it

2001, is kind of like that for me, i don't have the patience for it i did when i was younger, visually still stunning, but very slow
0 Replies