Please be reasonable!

coberst

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 01:44 pm
a mutual confidence in reason becomes one of life's most important goals.disaster to all of us that is derived from an intellectual distrust of reason.

I think that one of the important duties we all have is to help others formulate a confidence in reason.

I picture myself as a member of a small group of riders trying desperately to turn the stampeding herd before that herd reaches the cliffs.

The herd is humanity. My fellow riders are the few who, like me, think they have been enlightened and wish to stop an impending catastrophe. The skeptical reader is, of course, correct that the riders may be idiots and that the herd is just seeking better pastures. The consoling thought for the riders is that if they, the riders, are wrong it is of little consequence because they are so few; while the herd, if wrong, will probably destroy them self.

The riders, like me, think that there is a fundamental issue, that if resolved, will reposition the herd into a more perceptive and reasonable mode and thus the herd will live happily ever after.

The fundamental issue that concerns the riders is that the herd makes very poor decisions. For this reason the riders think that if the herd became Critical Thinkers and self-learners matters would improve.

A rider from a past generation spoke about these matters in:

The Decline of Western Democracy
by Walter Lippmann

"The decay of decency in the modern age, the rebellion against law and good faith, the treatment of human beings as things, as the mere instruments of power and ambition, is without a doubt the consequence of the decay of the belief in man as something more than an animal animated by highly conditioned reflexes and chemical reactions. For, unless man is something more than that, he has no rights that anyone is bound to respect, and there are no limitations upon his conduct which he is bound to obey."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 599 • Replies: 7
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 05:47 pm
1. coberst
2. colberst
3. colbert, s
4. stephen colbert

i have you allll figured out
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:43 am
People love mysteries and cabals and intrigues far more than they respect or know Critical Thinking.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:42 am
Critical thinking is not a proper noun so you can stop capitalizing it. I agree with you, many people do love mysteries and intrigues more than logical truths. Of course you can't really generalize this to "people" without including yourself, which I don't think is your intention. People like making overgeneralizations, too. Also note that critical is a relative term subject to interpretation, so the fact that one person is not illuminated by your words doesn't mean that they do not know or respect critical thinking, because to that person, there could be nothing critical about what you said at all.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:51 am
Critical thinking is not so much open to interpretation as the result of it is. Everyone will (most likely) agree on the definition of critical thinking more or less being the process of thought in which we approach problems and unknowns from a (hopefully) unbiased position. He has a point in saying that many people would like to simply be fooled than to actually look at the obvious solutions. It's like a magic show- Sure, it's really cool, but I don't want to know the secret. I'd prefer to be amazed rather than sit down and figure out how the magician performed his stunts.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:15 am
Careful there Foley, we wouldn't want to disprove God or anything, that would just be...catastrophic.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:21 pm
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:13 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Careful there Foley, we wouldn't want to disprove God or anything, that would just be...catastrophic.

Not disproving him, just making sure people actually consider it. Who knows? Maybe the magician really can cut people in half.

I agree with you, coberst, that much of CT is attitude. Most everything is. In order to actually be able to think critically, you must have a completely open mind- unfortunately, some people think that that means 'accept all liberal ideas no matter what', which actually leads to a close-minded follower of liberalism.

The reasons that people hate critical thinking is simple. One, we are creatures of routine, and love to stick to tradition, no matter who set it down. Two, we like to be with other people and form groups, and in order to form groups, you must all conform to certain standards. We have become so attached to 'society' that we don't want to question it.

To be fair to conservatives, though, uprooting society entirely is a ridiculous notion that would lead to utter chaos.
0 Replies