Quick Question About Ms Excel

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:39 am
Hi, quick question:

Can the grid lines (cell borders, ledger lines, I'm not sure what they're properly called) - can these be rotated? Imagine if you were looking at a piece of graph paper instead of a monitor, and just turned it 45°, so that you were looking at diamonds instead of squares...

Thankya Thankya
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 681 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:44 am
probably not.

i am far from being an Excel expert, but the program seems to be based on rows & columns being perpendicular to each other...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:04 am
The best you can do is give the illusion of tilted cells

Higlight the area of cells you want to work with

Go to Format, Cell, Alignment and align the text to 45 degrees.

Then go to Pattern and choose White for a background

Then go to borders and choose the 2 slanted borders...this will essentially put and X through the cells.

However, you'll end up with a lot of empty cells, won't be worth it if there's formulas in there, will be an oogy mess.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:07 am
kinda - sorta

You can put slashes in each cell for border formatting (format, cells, border, left slash and right slash) then expand the width of the rows so that the diamonds are fairly large. Then format the text to be in the bottom center of the cell (format, cells, alignment, horizontal center, vertical bottom). Turn off gridlines on the sheet (page setup, sheet, gridlines unchecked). Type in some text into a few of the cells and do a print preview to see what it looks like.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:09 am
Ah, chai and I had the same idea with the exception of the direction of the text.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:14 am
Oh, if you're just going to use the spreaksheet for information, and not to work in, you can just creat your spreadsheet as normal, putting a grid about it.

Then, highlight the cells, and copy.

Then, you can go to a Word document, click Edit, Paste Special, and past it as a picture.

THEN.....double click on the picture, click on the "layout" tab and choose "Behind text" and OK

Now you should be able to rotate the picture and make it look like diamonds....

If you wanted the text to go straight across the diamond, you would have to format the text at an angle before copy and pasting it into word.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, as far as making a cell rotate and being able to work in it, I don't think you can.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:16 am
JPB wrote:
Ah, chai and I had the same idea with the exception of the direction of the text.

Isn't it weird how you can come up with a solution, but walking around the block a different way and getting the same point?
0 Replies