The Queen

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:51 am
I saw The Queen last night.My feelings at the moment is that it was pants.
Im getting so annoyed with hyped films only to be let down.

Any views?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 912 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:02 am
Re: The Queen
material girl wrote:
I saw The Queen last night.My feelings at the moment is that it was pants.
.Any views?

What does 'it was pants' mean?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:05 am
Ditto.

I loved it.

What was your problem with it?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:12 am
Pants? Confused

What, like a dog?

Is pants good or bad?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:13 am
pants=not good

I didnt really learn anything new from it.
I was amazed at how much the royals hated Diana, thought that Charles was portrayed in a very rose tinted light and it seemed to be more about how Tony Blair helped the Queen win popularity.

I admire her dedication to her job.
I understand she was looking after her grandchildren first and she was of a differnt generation and didnt want to show her feelings.But I got no sense of her learning from the situation, if she did it was only to save herself.
Also I didnt like that 'stag' comparison.She seemed more upset about the stag dying than the mother of her grandchildren.
Maybe I missed something but I felt her performance was too subtle.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:52 am
Interesting

Haven't seen the movie, but I know I'll eventually watch on DVD.

As a American, I'm sure my knowledge is much less than yours, and I find your take on it educational.

I heard about the stag scene in a review on NPR....apparantly the stag was supposed to represent herself, her vulnerability, seeing how she herself could be so easily hurt.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 09:12 am
Chai wrote:

I heard about the stag scene in a review on NPR....apparantly the stag was supposed to represent herself, her vulnerability, seeing how she herself could be so easily hurt.

She was ok with the stag being hunted and seemed nonchalant that it hadnt been killed, but when she eventually heard it had been shot she seemed really surprised and sad.
Maybe that showed her going from being coldhearted to caring about something that was being hunted ie the stag and Diana.

The Queens a tough old bird, even in the film she says she doesnt like to show her emotions.
Admittedly the majority of us dont know the real her and im aware its a dramatisation but I thought she would have shown more emotion.

Im going to watch the making of it and see what their sources of information were.
They could have made it all up!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:47 pm
material girl wrote:
Chai wrote:

She was ok with the stag being hunted and seemed nonchalant that it hadnt been killed, but when she eventually heard it had been shot she seemed really surprised and sad.
Maybe that showed her going from being coldhearted to caring about something that was being hunted ie the stag and Diana.

The Queens a tough old bird, even in the film she says she doesnt like to show her emotions.
Admittedly the majority of us dont know the real her and im aware its a dramatisation but I thought she would have shown more emotion.

Im going to watch the making of it and see what their sources of information were.
They could have made it all up!

Then she was indeed too subtle for you in her acting.

Her identification with the stag was evident from very early on.

Which was bloody interesting, since her husband's answer to grief was going out and killing.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 08:14 pm
It was a little slow/long. It also didn't help that a drunk woman began snoring--loudly--about 20 minutes into it (I woke her twice and informed her of her disruptive behavior before getting the usher). However, the movie was definitely worth watching. Helen Mirren's portrayal of the reserved and distant monarch was excellent.

I took the stag--regal, isolated, and threatened--as a metaphor for the royal family.

I agree that the portrayal of Charles was a little rosy, but it also seemed clear that many of his actions in the film were self-serving. He was trying preserve the crown in a time when much of Britain thought it anachronistic (as portrayed in the movie--I don't personally keep up on the state of the monarchy in England). Out of curiosity, what would happen to the royal family if Britain decided to do away with the crown? What assets are exclusively theirs and what belongs to Britain?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:33 am
Oh sorry - thought you were talking about me.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:49 pm
Why, did you go see The Queen while three sheets to the wind? :wink:
0 Replies