Does anyone know anything about flies seeing time slower?...

Xirse

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:32 pm
For anyone reading this topic recently, like I am. Can I just say all theories before are completely ridiculous. Flies have 360 degree eyesight and also have the ability to process the possibility of a threat, the angle of attack and an escape route within 100 milliseconds of the fly first spotting the threat. Therefore as a fly swatter comes down, the fly has already decided the best route of escape and is essentially way ahead of you. It does not see time slower, it can just process threats and evasive action extremely fast.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 09:46 pm
They see 'faster'. So does an octopus.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 06:04 am
@honey rose cr,
Time is just a concept. Time in physics is no more than the comparison of the motion of things having a regular motion as the base of measurement, example, the rotation of earth, the vibration frequency of the atom of Cesium.

Animals of any kind, might be capable to relate the rotation of earth (regular motion) with several other tasks. But about the "perception" of this comparison of motion (or decay) of things, to say that insects or any other animal perceives it "different" is just an assumption, a silly assumption.

When we perceive a longer day because we are bored, or a fast day because we are busy, these are nothing but illusions. When we perceive everything going slower when we travel in an airplane or spaceship, such is nothing but illusions.

The perception of what we call time is not ruled by the imaginary existence of time as something objective, but depends on many real stimuli that affects the sensation.

The same might applies to other species, but no one can establish it as a proven thing.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 04:28 pm
They see time slower because everything is bigger.

When we see things bigger than us, they move slow compared to us.

The smaller the thing is, the faster it is (i.e subatomic particles).

It's all relation.
carloslebaron

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 05:48 am
@One Eyed Mind,
Not necessarily, because distance is a greater influence for such an illusion.

And it is correct about size of the observer and observed as causing illusions, for example, the loony of Albert Einstein and his followers have the idea that the speed of light is "the same for all observers", something that is not true at all.

Using Einstein's style of fantasies (read thought experiments) lets say that a galaxy is a living being moving at 120,000 miles per second throughout the universe. For this galaxy, the speed of light at 165,000 miles per second will be what is for us walking in the street watching a car passing by besides us at 25 miles per hour.

But, still, we can't see light but illumination, and we can't perceive time but the motion of things, because light is not visible and time is something subjective, not so an objective entity. (Time dilatation is a fake and someone is stealing your money selling you relativity as if was science, watch out)

dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 11:14 am
@Merry Andrew,
Andy I don't think it has anything to do with lifespan but instead the time required for a charge to travel from one side of his brain to the other or, say, to a muscle. Thus as he buzzes around you he feels that his wings are only flapping and one circuit takes what seems to us 1 second, 1 minute or even an hour
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:10 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:
the speed of light at 165,000 miles per second

It's a bit more than that.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:25 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
By about 284 mph. However I wonder how this bears on time sensation of the housefly
roger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:27 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't know either, dale. Speed of light is a bit more than that, too.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:06 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Speed of light is a bit more than that, too
Thanks Rog, guess I just don't keep up
roger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:09 pm
@dalehileman,
Nobody keeps up with the speed of light.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:20 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Nobody keeps up
Again Rog you've made my day
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:25 pm
@carloslebaron,
Carlos, everything in this Universe is animating the human body; some forces are visible to our 5 senses, other forces are not visible to our 5 senses. We can create tools to see every force, provided that the tool we create is properly referential towards how the Universe behaves.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 04:46 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
By about 284 mph. However I wonder how this bears on time sensation of the housefly

Your arithmetic is very shaky, Dale. He gave the speed of light as 165,000 miles a second. The correct speed is (in proper units) 299 792 458 metres per second, or if you are stuck in the 18th century, 186,000 miles a second in round figures. The difference is 31,000 miles per second or 75,600,000 miles per hour. A bit more than 284 mph.

Why are you wasting your time with these pricks? (Why am I?)

carloslebaron

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 07:41 am
@contrex,
Lets be fair with the speed of light measurement for one minute before continuing with the topic.

In reality, no one knows with total accuracy what the speed of light is. The current measurements of the speed of light are made inside our solar system. In other words, inside the Sun's gravity. By following the several ideas about the INFLUENCE of the gravity of a star on the speed of light, we can conclude that the current speed of light measurements are subjected to the influence of the gravity of the Sun.

Question is, what about light traveling outside the solar system when it is not under the influence of the gravity of the Sun?

By fact, the speed of light outside the solar system must be different in case it is true that the gravity of the Sun affects its motion.

So, please do not, read clearly, do not take for granted your 186,000 miles per second as the "universal speed of light" because such is a belief and not so a scientific fact. The best you can say is that 186,000 miles per second is the speed that we can measure so far inside the solar system, but that the speed of light as a standard in the universe do not exist and we don't know with certainty what it is.

To stick with 186,000 miles per second as the universal speed of light as the official speed is to lean on the arms of the obstinate, were conjectures are taking for fact, and science is insulted every time an individual thinks that way.

About the perception of motion, (because no one can perceive time, time is a measurement based in comparing motion of things), insects indeed might perceive motion different than we do, but about the ones who believe that such perception will be a huge difference, I can tell that they are the ones falling in a greater illusion.

This is to say, they are saying that a three feet person perceives motion different than a six feet person... it might be true, it might be a myth... unfortunately there is no way to confirm it because it is about a personal perception.
contrex

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 07:46 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:
Question is, what about light traveling outside the solar system when it is not under the influence of the gravity of the Sun?

The speed of light ("c", approx 186000 miles/sec, or exactly 299,792,458 metres per second) is the speed at which all massless particles and changes of the associated fields (including electromagnetic radiation such as light and gravitational waves) travel in vacuum. Such particles and waves travel at c regardless of the motion of the source or the inertial frame of reference of the observer.
carloslebaron

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:18 pm
@contrex,
Peanuts.

I will tell you what in the first place lights is about.

Light is nothing but particles/energy expelled by a body. Period.

In order to be expelled from a body, the phenomenon requires of some characteristics which play from physical and chemical.

The speed of light is not constant, because if your fallacy of a constant speed of light is true, then the laws of physics are good for nothing.

What is going on is that WE DON'T HAVE THE APPROPIATE INSTRUMENT to detect the initial speed of light when departing from a body, and in order to make it fit in a false theory, some scientists have decided that MAGIC intervenes in this phenomenon and that light doesn't have acceleration, neither deceleration but an imaginary constant speed "forever".

Put your feet on ground, think, do not just follow the current made by the ignorant but think and wake up.

The actual measurements of the speed of light are made under the subjection of the Sun's gravity. This is in base of what scientist assume about gravity and light. How in the world you assume that light speed still is the same outside the gravitational influence of the Sun.

And more, how in the world you believe that light is constant "forever" when the entire universe is in a continued decay. Watch out, that some people is getting rich selling you fantasies of constant speed of light in order to make profit thanks to your ignorance. One more time, think.
contrex

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:54 pm
carloslebaron, you are spouting ignorant nonsense. I suspect you are that quehoniamath guy with a new name. You clearly have not made even a cursory study of physics. Time to shut up.
contrex

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:57 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

The actual measurements of the speed of light are made under the subjection of the Sun's gravity. This is in base of what scientist assume about gravity and light. How in the world you assume that light speed still is the same outside the gravitational influence of the Sun.

Read about James Clerk Maxwell, and how the speed of light was predicted mathematically a generation before measurements became possible. I suspect that, being a troll, you will not care to do this.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 02:10 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Your arithmetic is very shaky, Dale. He gave the speed of light as 165,000 miles a second.
Oops Con, thanks, I've no excuse. Anyhow I had always heard it as 186,283; sometimes 284