Spectral Terrace ---Episode 3---

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:39 pm
Spectral Terrace
Episode 3
"Spectra Waves"

Destiny is a free spirit,
only influenced by the things of purity
which we have no control over.
Balance, faith, understanding, and love.
Never giving up on any of the four,
means there is still time for change.
-passage from Havilah

Yep, those are the insides of my eyelids. I sat quietly awaiting further instruction from Kira and anyone else who had anything to say to help explain this difficult process.

"Everything is black now. It will be hard, but try to focus away from the black. Imagine it away as much as you can, then tell me what you see." Kira explained, her voice sounding ominous now inside my head, making it hard to focus as she instructed.

It took some time to really just block everything and relax or it at least felt like that without my sight. I struggled to figure out what she meant exactly, "Imagine the black away." How could I do that? It's my eyelids, so do I imagine I don't have any eyelids then?

Just imagine it away, just imagine. The more I said that to myself the more sleepy I felt. I really hope I don't fall asleep before I figure this out, that would be embarrassing.

I continued to imagine the darkness of my perception away into a more white appearance, but just then, I swear I heard some music. Very, very faint music. A single note on a piano echoing silently until it died out finally. I felt myself lean in forward, maybe trying to get closer to the sound, not wanting it to leave.

Then, two notes now went into my mind, a little louder than the last one. I began to picture the blackness as a puddle and the water would gently ripple every time I heard the note. As the ripples slowly grew bigger and bigger, I noticed a twinkle forming in the center of the now numerous ripples on the puddle of darkness. I focused more on one twinkle and soon it moved in closer to me, showing me it was actually a color. This certain twinkle was a deep red.

I looked left and right and noticed other colors were all around me, twinkling to the notes in my head. Purple, blue, green, orange, and everything in between. The deep red twinkle from before came closer and all the other colors seemed to back away from me. I starred attentively at the deep red twinkle. Somehow I became very intrigued in that color, very much longing to be closer to it.

Just as soon as the rich red color got so close I could almost reach out and touch it, everything turned black again. The deep red, the twinkles, everything just black once again. I felt like opening my eyes and telling Kira and Zig about what I just saw, wanting to share this with someone.

Slightly slower than I thought I could, I opened my eyes and I raised my head. Taking in a good, cool breathe, I looked in front of myself. A small field of green grass flowed out from where I was standing to surrounding trees from afar. I blinked and looked closer at the ground. Blades of grass flowed in one direction with the wind as I heard the whistling sort of sound you hear from tree branches.

I turned around and what lay in front of me, but a vast forest. Overcasting trees overwhelming everywhere. It was amazing, and it was real.

"Hey," a voice from behind me whispered. I became excited and turned around. Just as a turned, a fist connected to my face and I was hurled through the tree I was just gazing at. I rose back on to my knees and held my back immediately, expecting great pain. Except, I didn't feel anything, nothing at all.

I got on my knees and looked at my hands, noticing they weren't my hands and they were glowing a sort of gold-ish color. I heard the crunch of a twig next to me and looked to my side to see a red glowing figure. I stood and approached the figure.

"Kira?" I spoke quietly, not believing what I was seeing. That red aura about the figure, I knew that color. It was the same deep red from before, it was beautiful. I felt connected to it somehow.

"Notice how you didn't feel that punch?" The figure spoke with Kira's voice. I shook my head, still not believing what I was seeing. Kira's appearance here was much different now, she wore an elaborate flowing gown placed with intricate designs. She didn't have short hair anymore either, it was now down to the middle of her back and she was maybe a little taller.

I lifted up my hands to look at them again. I was also wearing elaborate attire, some type of patterned suit similar to Kira's, but shorter. I touched my hands together and didn't feel anything, no impulse to confirm my action. "I don't feel anything."

"Pain, or touch for that matter doesn't exist in here."

"Wow, this is incredible. This isn't my body, but I'm in here somewhere." I said looking at my structure and stretching the suit I was wearing by spreading my arms out and seeing my arm span.

"Allocen."

"Hmm?" My name sounded weird coming from her mouth. I looked over to her as she stepped closer to me.

She came in close and spoke softly into my ear, "Zig isn't the leader and I ain't teaching you ****." My amazement for this place ceased that very second and I was instantly hit broadside across the face.

I didn't hit any trees this time, but skidded across the ground a bit. That punch was much stronger and faster than the last, I didn't have to feel it to know that much. I quickly got back on my feet and took a fighting stance from the direction I was hit. Kira wasn't in sight anymore.

"This is a whole different environment and besides, you learn best on your own." Her voice trailed off from one direction, I quickly looked there, but saw no red glow.

"Rookie's like you have no place in my crew. You don't even have a spectre power yet." Her voice carried off in the wind and out into another direction. I looked in that direction, but still no sight of her. She must be moving very fast to taunt me like this.

"It's not my fault I was never told of this place!" I started to plead with her now in order to establish a common ground and get her talk more.

I looked back at my hands and noticed I wasn't glowing as brightly as before, somehow the intensity of my gold-ish aura went down. I stared for a few more seconds and then suddenly I noticed the glow grew brighter all of sudden. I looked up and saw Kira sailing through the air towards me. If I would of saw her a moment later I would of gotten struck again, but I reacted in time and dove away.

I wish I kept going with that kind of luck, but just after I dove into the bushes, she picked me up from behind and then turned me around, just to hit me in the face again. I flew threw the and when I landed, I broke through the hard ground, just as Kira landed right on top of me and pounded me into the dirt. All her blows were aimed downward that time so I just pushing down deep into the ground.

I tried to move, but my now very faintly glowing body just wouldn't. I noticed Kira stood above me, her red glow lighting up the hole we were in. She stood smiling and knelt down to my face and grabbed my collar. She then somehow with one jump and while carrying me, flew out of the hole and landed softly back on the ground above.

"Um... I think you won." I said calmly, obviously I couldn't do anything more than talk as it was. She didn't smile, but frowned instead and slammed me into the nearest tree. Now holding me up by the throat against the tree, she actually smiled.

"If you didn't know, this is a spectre power." She said and raised up her other hand. I stared at her hand just as it started to glow a brighter red. The air around her fist started to turn red and began to fantastically spin around her fist as it continued to glow brighter. The red air spinning around her fist gradually moved faster and faster till it was so fast it became a bright blur and suddenly, the whole display sunk into her fist; which made her fist grow an intensely bright red, and then she swung straight into my chest with a load crackle from the impact.

As soon as it fist looked like it touched my body, my sight left me and things went dark again. Few seconds later, I opened my eyes again. Kira was sitting in front of me smiling in a sarcastic way. I looked down at my hands that were neatly placed on my lap. I never moved my body while I was in there.

I jumped to my feet abruptly and ran my fingers through my hair. "It's me... I can feel again!"

"It's something else, huh Allocen?" Zig smiled and folded his arms across his chest.

"Yeah, but he didn't put up much of a fight!" Lily said as she took off the metal cap from on top of her head.

"His first battle was against Kira though." Zig pointed out and smiled at Kira, who didn't seem like she even acknowledged he was talking about her.

"Seriously man, all you did was stand there like an idiot." Jonathan exclaimed as he shrugged at the blank monitor screen. I stood there listening to each of them, but still moving my body around to see if everything was still present and working. It was a weird kinda feeling.

Winchester walked right up to me and looked up to my face, "Don't worry Allocen, it takes a while to get used to it." His little smile settled me down and I smiled back thankful.

Everyone began to gather around me, just as Kira began to walk towards the door. "He isn't worth anything in there. He may have the moves out here, but he can't blink to save his life on the battlefield."

"You shouldn't waste your time with him, he isn't worth it," she said as she walked out the door.

Zig put a hand to his chin and thought to himself as he watched Kira leave. "Hmm... well, how was it in there Allocen?" Zig turned and asked me, still holding his chin in that same gesture.

"Huh, oh um... it was amazing. It was like fighting, but I was a different person, all without pain. Like a really good virtual reality game, but you're really the mind that controls the motion. It was like um..." I made numerous motions with my hands, as if I was describing an elaborate play.

"Okay, okay. I think we got it. You know, it gets even better when you get good." Zig laughed and pointed out.

"You were pretty lucky too. Kira only uses her spectre power on strong opponents!" Lily spoke up from behind me. If they were talking about the punch at the end, then I don't think she used it because I was strong, more on the lines of making a point.

I turned around to face the rest of them and asked, "Oh yeah, what is spectre power anyways?"

The large, dark skinned Hank answered this question. "Each spectre has its own well, unique super power you could say." My eyes grew wide with the notion of having super powers.

"Wait, I didn't have any super power in there!? At least I don't think I did." After hearing my response, I realized my voice almost sounded sad. I didn't realize how much I really wanted to have super powers. I mean, who wouldn't want super powers?

"That's what gets better, once you get good, like Kira." Zig chuckled a little and smiled at me like I was still so naive.

"What was Kira's spectre power?" I asked this to see if there was anything else they hadn't told me.

"We give ourselves nicknames pertaining to our spectre power, alias's more or less. Kira's called Dead Fists. That last punch you got hit with, that was her dead fist. Not one person has took more than one dead fist and survived." Zig explained, almost proudly. I looked back at him very intrigued, but still I really wanted to know what my super power could be.

Winchester walked up to me and looked squarely into my face like he always does and said, "You'll learn that with experience is all, you've only gone in the terrace once you know." I nodded understandingly and looked at everyone else who had still formed a small crowd amongst themselves and me. Everyone held the same interest in the subject and wanted to here what anyone else had to say. Right there, for the first time at college, I felt like I belonged somewhere. I could really get along with these people.

With this new piece of information given to me, I wanted to battle more and more, right away! Just as soon as that powerful emotion hit me, someone else abruptly came into the room.

A student with a formal looking black jacket with a bright pink undershirt showed up at the door suddenly, "Zig, district eleven's waiting in negotiations for the bracket of next match!". As soon as the boy was done speaking, he bolted off somewhere else without a response.

He must have done this before, because there wasn't a response from Zig or the crew. I looked over at Zig and all he did was turn his head with a serious face and nod at each person of the crew. Everyone nodded back, seemingly understanding the situation and began to leave the room.

"What about Allocen?" Jass asked, brushing her short, blonde bangs out her face.

"Yeah captain?" Winchester also inquired.

"He isn't experienced enough around the college yet and hasn't fought enough to hold a position. Allocen, class is in about an hour so we won't make it back here before then. You can do what you want now. My crew and I will help you along as much as we can. Please think about our offer of acceptance into our team okay. I see potential in you." Zig explained quickly, then with his team left out of the room.

"Why does this keep happening to me!?" I shouted, but then instantly held my mouth. Didn't mean to say that out loud!.

Oh well, off again exploring through the spontaneous ways of the dorm halls. I hope nothing bad happens this time. Really, really hope.

I wondered around without actually passing by too many people, maybe this negotiation thing had an audience, but then why would Zig not want me to go, could have been a learning experience or something, oh well. I kept walking down the halls at a steady pace like my legs wanted to get me somewhere quick.

I had actually reached the end of the hall. All that was in front of me was the metal, double doors of the exit out of the dorm building. After checking my watch, I opened the door to greet the warm sun on my skin. I put a hand up to shade my eyes from the shine and felt the wind gust through my shirt and drift off behind me.

I looked around and noticed an assortment of couples who laid on the cool grass and a few students who were spread out wide on the ground and just gazed up at the sky. I starred off to where the sidewalk lead on and followed it down the block.

Guys and gals my age strolled up and down each side of the sidewalk talking and laughing as they held close to their light jackets and thin sweaters, and each other. I placed my hands in my pockets and browsed around the numerous roadside stores.

I came up to a interesting shop that sat neatly between a hardware store and a laundromat, "The Olde College Café." The wooden sign gave a real old sense I would say, but upon entering, the interior wasn't so one-sided. Assorted, identical tables were scatted over most of the shop. The black tables looked new, but each table had two brown, worn out leather chairs.

Most of the tables were occupied, but I spotted a empty table near the windows, across the door I just came in. The old, leather chair squished down when I sat in it, like it was worn out and needed firmer stuffing. Although, I quickly sank down into the chair, which was actually rather comfortable. As soon as I sat, a waitress walked right over to my table.

"Good morning, my name's Emily. Can I interest you in our peppermint tea to ease your morning day while lifting your spirits into a beautiful afternoon?" She asked so nicely, smiling as she looked down at me, holding a small menu in her arms. She must be paid to say that, but it still sounded good.

"That sounds great Emily."I smiled back and sat back in the cozy chair.

"Coming right up!" She smiled once more and walked off to the counter that lined the other end of the shop. The counter stretched from one wall to the other, made of a long, wood furnished counter top and red cedar stools. This placed smelled like a caffeinated forest. That actually sounds like a better name than the olde college café.

I sunk deep into the chair and rested my hands over my lap taking in deep breaths. I couldn't stop thinking about the terrace and what my spectre power could be. Hmm... I wonder what everyone else's is too, I should ask them. I wonder if anyone is battling in this café. I sat up in my chair and looked around at the other tables, but didn't see anyone facing each other with their eyes closed.

Just as I was looking at one side of the café, some guy walked over and casually sat at my table. "Hey, how ya doing? Busy morning today and there's not many open tables, do you mind if I sit here?" He only glanced at me once during his introduction and kept looking out in other directions like he was trying to find someone. His hair had that messed up look and wore a light blue jacket, sleeves rolled up.

"Okay," I said and sunk back into my chair. Not even a minute had gone by when someone else approached my table from a couple tables across from me, near the windows.

"Hey, I didn't see you in the collection! You said Tuesday at 9'O clock! What gives!?" His tone was frustrated and he placed an arm straight up and down on the table, almost blocking me away from seeing the guy who was sitting at my table.

"Yeah, well. Put a rain check on that one, sorry man. I got this thing I got to take care off." The guy at my table explained to the other.

"Whatever," the other guy huffed and strolled away agitated.

"What was that about?" I asked curiously. He was looking over at the counter and slowly turned around when I asked the question.

"Hmm... oh, just some loser who wanted to battle me?" He quickly explained and turned back around to look at the café counter. Not facing while he talked was beginning to become rude.

"What's the collection thing that guy spoke of?" I asked again, almost leaning in now to get his attention better. He turned around more quickly this time and looked at me strangely.

"Where you from kid?" He asked calmly. Why did he call me kid, he must only be like maybe, one or two years older to me.

"Lower county, by the mountains." I explained with a more testy attitude.

"Geez, must of took you like four hours to get here. Way down there huh? Did you live on a farm or something?" He asked sarcastically.

"Yes."

"You don't get televison signals down there?"

"Well, I don't watch it that often, what does that have to do with this?" I asked, but he turned his head back towards the café counter.

"What waitress you get?" He asked abruptly, with his back turned.

"Um... Emily."

"My lucky day. Oh and here she comes." The waitress was approaching my table with a single cup on her small tray, trying to smile and keep her balance at the same time. She walked right up to face me and looked like she didn't notice someone else was sitting at my table.

"Would you also like something to eat Sir?" She asked politely smiling at me, slowly inching the cup of tea towards me.

"Hey baby." The waitress stopped all of a sudden and the tea cup shook a little, spilling some tea on the table.

Her face kind of slowly jerked to look at the other guy at my table. I saw her face go from surprise to anger in a matter of moments.

"Jerk!" She yelled and tilted the tea cup over him to land right in his lap.

"Hiyah, hiyah!" He yelled and jumped from his seat, blowing on his pants.

"Go to hell!" She shouted and placed my tea abruptly in front of me, spilling a little more.

"Aww... my tea." I frowned as the waitress quickly walked away, holding her nose high up in the air.

"She's just playing hard to get is all. Phew, lifts the spirits alright." The guy spoke and eased himself back down in the chair, scooting up close under the table to hide the wet spot on his pants.

"Farm boy huh? Don't see too many of you out here."

"So um... what is the connection thing anyways?" I asked again, awkwardly transitioned from what just happened and back to my question. More answers now would help me more around Zig and the crew when I went back anyways.

"Alright sport, listen up. I assume you have spectre battled at least once, right? Well, right before you reach the forest, there is an assortment of colors yeah? That's the collection, those colors are other people's spectre's." He finally sat back in his chair so now I think he was giving me his full attention since the waitress left and he spoke more calmly when he explained things to me.

"Wow, so that's what they were. Wait, but how do you tell which color is which?"

"Well, once you get to the collection, it just seems to guide you to the right color. How it does that, don't have the slightly idea." He said while folding his hands on the table, maybe taking the conversation a little more serious.

I began to think back to the strong attraction I had for that red color, it was very weird. Maybe that's what he meant by it guiding you to the right color. Then, the guy rested one hand up against his cheek. He looked pretty bored, but kept answering my questions in a easing manor.

"What's a link cap?" I continued to ask questions. He didn't seem to show any discomfort in answering my question so I just kept them coming.

"You've seen a battle right?" He responded in the same tone. It was actually miraculous, his attitude didn't grow coarse or annoyed or anything.

"Uh huh."

He held up three fingers and then spoke, "There is usually three people in a battle. Two fighters and one watcher." I was eager to ask more questions, but his answers well, weren't really answering my questions, not entirely.

"One watches? How?"

"You see, a spectre battle happens because of the mental link between two minds."

"What do you mean, how can you have a mental link with another person?"

"You can't. Or well you couldn't a year and a half ago. Brain waves only communicate to the host body. Yet, somehow we can now communicate with each other's brain waves, like music." As he answered the questions, every now and then he stared at the table or looked up at the ceiling, or the people walking by.

"Okay, I think I understand, but that doesn't explain how the link cap works."

"Well, during this communication, the brain emits a new kind of brain wave, called the spectra wave. This spectra wave leads us to a place we call the Spectral Terrace. Seems this place came with rules though. Won't let the connection be held by more than two minds. Well, we bent the rules a little with the link cap."

"Please explain!" Was he just spoon feeding me or something, just explain it all, come on!

"Not just anyone can wear the link cap. You need a decent amount of control so your brain will begin to give off Alpha brain waves. Alpha brain waves seem to be the perfect frequency to intercept spectra waves. Except, the human brain electrical signal is way too weak to connect for a more than a nanosecond."

"So, then the link cap makes um... " I tried to answer his question for myself, but got kinda mixed-up.

"The link cap amplifies the electrical signal, so one can intercept the spectra waves. Intercepting the signal just gets you in the forest as a wandering perception. All you can do is move about and observe, nothing else. Fortunately, the link cap can analyze a spectra wave's frequency and assign a specific color; in the form of dot, depending on the wavelength of each wave. Then, the link cap feeds the trillions of colored dots back into, lets say a simple monitor. Your brain reassembles all these colored dots into a meaningful image. Now, all the link has to do is keep sending those images in rapid succession and your brain will reassemble these still images into a single, moving scene."

"A television."

"Exactly sport. Hope I didn't lose you on any of that kid stuff."

"Did you invent the link cap?" I asked almost out of instinct, like I needed this last piece of information to make everything make sense.

"Nope, that was Jerito."He said and smiled for the first time, put his arms behind his head and peaked over at the counter once more.

"Well sport, you just got the Caster crash course into spectre battles. I have to visit a certain waitress so you go have fun with your buddies now." He said and walked over to the counter where Emily was now standing at.

"Caster? That supposed to be his name?" As I pondered that for a moment, I looked down at my watch and noticed it was five till ten.

"Ahh, I got five minutes till class starts! I'm gonna be late the first day of school and I live on campus!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 827 • Replies: 0
No top replies