Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 01:41 am
I've been watching articles about the Skywalk for weeks, even months, and maybe months before those. Many elaborate about the question of planning the construction in the first place, and then as it went along, and even now are questioning.

What I see on google is pretty much promo for it all, instead of questioning.... which I can understand, re bringing in summer bucks.

Here's a typical all for it article...

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=72956

I've qualms, both re the site (never mind spiritual, just the grand... canyon) so I think the horseshoe is an aesthetic abomination, but that's my opinion

I cringe at the drilling and bolting that had to happen to do that vomitoria, oh, excuse me, curved glass sightseeing promontory.....

Just riffing, I've been offended all along, but now it's here... all day accolades on google.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,065 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 01:48 am
Somewhere I read they expect the connectors to last twenty years. Oh, good, rolls eyes.

This soooo offends me, and I'm not even off on the reasons some tribal folk might care. My interest is why I care, which is the signature of the cliffs, whether ascribed spirituality or not.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 04:12 am
I am of two minds on this. We plan to visit the Grand Canyon this summer for the third time, and thought that this was a wonderful way to see the canyon from yet another angle.

On the other hand it is tantamount to putting McDonald's billboards on the moon! Sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 06:58 am
Part of our culture is to Do Things simply because the project is a challenge.

Undoubtedly the masterminds behind Skywalk are convinced that they have provided the public with another way to appreciate the Marvels of Nature without comprehending that the Grand Canyon was marvelous without a special, gravity-defying viewing platform.

I understand that the fundmentalists of all three of the People of the Book feel that God has turned the Grandeur of Nature over to Man and therefore such a project would be blessed by the Almighty.

Personally, I'm not sure about that.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:08 am
http://techno-science.net/illustration/Architecture/Skywalk/skywalk-grand-canyon-1.jpg

All I can say is NO Way! Wouldn't catch me on that.

Because we can is rarely a reason to do.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:13 am
It'll be a brave mofo that takes a walk on it on the 19th year and 360th day then.....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 08:10 am
Quite possibly at the height of the tourist season, the cattle will be chivvied, "Move along, move along. Give everyone a chance to see the view."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 08:12 am
Somebody agreed to let somebody build that thing on the GRAND CANYON? View shmiew. Get that thing offa there.
0 Replies