Are the Guardian Angels a Help or a Hindrance on Crime?

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:08 am
The Guardian Angels have arrived in Boston to help prevent crime in the worst areas of the city. But they have not been greeted favorably by the mayor or the police.

Some are wary because the last time the Guardian Angels patrolled Mission Hill, Roxbury and the South end; there were a series of violent episodes and resentment from the residents and disbanded in 1992. The current group of Guardian Angels has a reputation for making trouble and working too independently of the police. Many police chiefs around the country feel these Angels are more vigilantes than help and may actually be exacerbating problems police are dealing with.

Many residents of these areas are so scared and desperate that they want help from wherever it comes. What are your thoughts on the Guardian Angels? Sounds like a great idea, but does it really help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 991 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:15 am
I remember the Guardian Angels as a kid. I remember wondering how they didn't get themselves killed.

I wonder how many of the people that were angels then ended up becoming police officers?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:17 am
I'm reserving judgement on them until we have a chance to see how things progress. The BPD isn't doing much of anything in some of these areas and kids are getting shot or stabbed getting on/off the T trying to go to or get home from school. The Orange Line has become a no-man's land between the Mass. Ave. and Forest Hills stops.

If these guys ride the T and their presence alone makes it safer so be it. If they start trying to play cop then they need to go.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:45 am
fishin wrote:
I'm reserving judgement on them until we have a chance to see how things progress. The BPD isn't doing much of anything in some of these areas and kids are getting shot or stabbed getting on/off the T trying to go to or get home from school. The Orange Line has become a no-man's land between the Mass. Ave. and Forest Hills stops.

If these guys ride the T and their presence alone makes it safer so be it. If they start trying to play cop then they need to go.

I'm sort of in the same opinion - it seems that shootings are becoming more frequent and also occuring during the day - in well populated areas. Try it out and see if it help since whatever the police are currently doing is not having much if any impact.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:04 pm
I remember them in Chicago many years ago and yes, for whatever reason, I did feel safer on public transportation when they were present. I say, whatever it takes to get the people back and forth unharmed is worth a try.
0 Replies