Christianity as a cult

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:33 pm
I have been raised in a christian home, I called myself christian until about the age of 14. Only in the past two years or so have I gravitated away from christianity. As I have I have asked many questions about the religion, ones that caused me to no longer have any reason to continue to believe in "God" and others that I simply find...interesting. One is, viewing christianity as a cult.
I know how christians have sucha horrible view of the word cult in their mind, devil worshiper, sacrfices and the like...but the real definition is much simpler.
Webster's Dictionary definition- cult: formal religious veneration, a system of religious beliefs and ritual, great devotion to a person, idea, or thing
This as you see, defines christianity as infact a cult. Formal religious veneration-worship. The rest of course is self-explanitory. However, from my own experiences, it doesn't just fit the mild dictionary definition, to some degree, it fits the picture that comes to some people's minds when the word cult is mentioned. For example, when I left the faith, I was ridiculed, and preached to. Children born into christianity are reciting songs and bible verses about the faith at young ages. Countless people come to church every Sunday and are pelted with messages from the pulpet, that they take as truth and hardly question. As with the bible, it is read, and its failibility when recognized by the believer is pushed aside.
"Blind-faith" which for some is but the result of growing up being told the bible is always right...seems to me like brain-washing, an act christians often associate with cults.
Webster's Dictionary definition-brain-washing: persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship
This is just something I've been thinking lately. Any thoughts on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,739 • Replies: 37
No top replies

real life

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 11:43 pm
Re: Christianity as a cult
skeptical wrote:
I have been raised in a christian home, I called myself christian until about the age of 14. Only in the past two years or so have I gravitated away from christianity. As I have I have asked many questions about the religion, ones that caused me to no longer have any reason to continue to believe in "God" and others that I simply find...interesting. One is, viewing christianity as a cult.
I know how christians have sucha horrible view of the word cult in their mind, devil worshiper, sacrfices and the like...but the real definition is much simpler.
Webster's Dictionary definition- cult: formal religious veneration, a system of religious beliefs and ritual, great devotion to a person, idea, or thing
This as you see, defines christianity as infact a cult. Formal religious veneration-worship. The rest of course is self-explanitory. However, from my own experiences, it doesn't just fit the mild dictionary definition, to some degree, it fits the picture that comes to some people's minds when the word cult is mentioned. For example, when I left the faith, I was ridiculed, and preached to. Children born into christianity are reciting songs and bible verses about the faith at young ages. Countless people come to church every Sunday and are pelted with messages from the pulpet, that they take as truth and hardly question. As with the bible, it is read, and its failibility when recognized by the believer is pushed aside.
"Blind-faith" which for some is but the result of growing up being told the bible is always right...seems to me like brain-washing, an act christians often associate with cults.
Webster's Dictionary definition-brain-washing: persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship
This is just something I've been thinking lately. Any thoughts on this?

So, who persuaded you, or sold you on your present beliefs?

Surely you didn't adopt them in a vacuum.

You heard or read them explained somewhere and adopted them as your own.

You are, by your own definition, brainwashed.
0 Replies

skeptical

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 05:46 am
Quote:

Alright, I'll go with you on that one. So I guess we're all brain-washed. Now, let's address the other thing. By definition christianity is a cult.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:56 am
Here's another definition, one that closely matches my view of cults:

Cult: "In religion and sociology, a cult is a group of people (often a new religious movement) devoted to beliefs and goals which may be contradictory to those held by the majority of society. Its marginal status may come about either due to its novel belief system or due to idiosyncratic practices that cause the surrounding culture to regard it as far outside the mainstream."
(Google definition search)

Cults (unlike major religions) are not mainstream.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:04 am
Re: Christianity as a cult
real life wrote:
skeptical wrote:
I have been raised in a christian home, I called myself christian until about the age of 14. Only in the past two years or so have I gravitated away from christianity. etc., etc.

So you suggest that someone could not possibly make an eclectic study of a variety of sources, to decide that "i believe this" and "i do not believe" this--but that no one who believes anything could have come to that belief by any other means than the persuasion or salesmanship of another individual? Do you contend that all belief derives by this means, and by no other? Do you contend that anyone who believes anything believes only what they were taught by their preferred source, and believes nothing else, and believes no one else? Has no one any intellectual free will? How very Calvinistic you sound.

Apart from the implicit absurdity which arises form contemplating the problem of original sources (if everyone only ever believes what they were taught by a single individual or source, from when did any belief orgininate?)--your remark implies that Skeptical (and by the inference, no one) is capable of making up his own mind, and choosing for himself what to believe.

Jesus Christ, you puke up more nonsense than anyone else at this site who is not in a political thread.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:14 am
skeptical wrote:
Alright, I'll go with you on that one. So I guess we're all brain-washed. Now, let's address the other thing. By definition christianity is a cult.

In that case you might also say that you're brainwashed because you don't believe in Witches... which doesn't sound quite right.

I disagree with Real Life... Brainwashing should not be confused with legitimate learning.

Because there is no evidence that God exists, it's perfectly ok to say that people who don't believe are not brainwashed, and people who do believe are brainwashed. By definition, it takes brainwashing to truly believe in outrageous claims that completely lack evidence.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:17 am
What Are Some Characteristics of a Cult?

Authoritarian in their power structure
Totalitarian in their control of the behavior of their members
Pyramidal structure
Uses thought reform techniques
Isolation of members (physical and/or psychological isolation) from society
Uses deception in recruiting and/or fund raising
Promotes dependence of the members on the group
Totalitarian in their world view
Uses mind altering techniques (chanting, meditation, hypnosis and various forms of repetitive actions) to stop normal critical thinking
Appear exclusive and innovative
Charismatic or messianic leader who is self-appointed and has a special mission in life
Controls the flow of information
Instills a fear of leaving the group
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:23 am
That post on being brainwashed was insulting to anyones intelligence.

I would no sooner swallow the above listing of generally recognized characteristics of a cult without examination, than I would swallow by faith something written in a book that claims to be God's word.

However, one should look at each point and examine in their own minds whether it is true for them or not, without someone interfering with their agenda.

skeptical, to be honest, I was somewhat disappointed that you so readily admitted to being brainwashed....I suppose you might be, since you fell right into line with what someone stated as truth.

That's just being a sheep. Decide for yourself.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:36 am
cults
There are all sorts of cults in addition to religions.

Is capitalism a cult?

Is communism a cult?

Is fascism a cult?

Are organized crime families cults?

Are organized gangs cults?

Are racist organizations cults?

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:53 am
Re: cults
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
There are all sorts of cults in addition to religions.

Is capitalism a cult?

Is communism a cult?

Is fascism a cult?

Are organized crime families cults?

Are organized gangs cults?

Are racist organizations cults?

BBB

BBB, I am so glad you brought that up. Since this is in the S&R forum, and specifically about Christianity, I was trying to hold back...

Definately cults are not restricted to religion.

Last year, someone revived a thread about Alcoholics I'm Not a Mouse. Something I can speak on with some authority (but that's another story).

To encourage discussion, if memory serves, I brought up the aspect of that group which basically acts as a fear mechanism of "you'll drink if you don't come to meetings, don't get a sponsor, don't read the Big Book, don't learn every slogan and regurgitate it ad nauseum...." and so forth. BTW, there's also a lot of other cult-like features in AA.

I felt fortunate to make it out alive with only minor head wounds. To me it was amazing how otherwise intelligent people just took such a hard line that a person could not live a satisfying life without (fill in the blank) I'd even thought about starting a separate thread, but it would have either attacted no posts, or all attacks.

What I said before, there are many people who prefer to be sheep.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 10:09 am
Chai
I've heard of several non-religion-based recovery programs. the following is one of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_Recovery

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 10:16 am
A simple reading of an assortment of posts on a2k will most likely reveal that the mythology of the human capacity for "rational thought" is increasing at a Malthusian rate.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 10:23 am
dyslexia wrote:
A simple reading of an assortment of posts on a2k will most likely reveal that the mythology of the human capacity for "rational thought" is increasing at a Malthusian rate.

Malthus argued, the "perfectibility" of society will always be out of reach.

Starting with Dyslexia?

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 10:25 am
Re: Chai
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I've heard of several non-religion-based recovery programs. the following is one of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_Recovery

BBB

whoop-de-doo
0 Replies

skeptical

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:47 pm
Quote:
skeptical, to be honest, I was somewhat disappointed that you so readily admitted to being brainwashed....I suppose you might be, since you fell right into line with what someone stated as truth.

That's just being a sheep. Decide for yourself.

Well, I was certainly brainwashed. I believed in the christian god for years without any real reasoning. I didn't feel that I liked the religion all that much, I mostly followed out of fear. I was trying to say in that response that, yes, I have been brainwashed. However I wasn't trying to say that everything I've ever come to believe in, is a result of being brainwashed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:57 pm
skeptical wrote:
Quote:

oh, I must have been misreading. I thought you were replying that you have been brainwashed to your current beliefs.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 03:14 pm
yeah, we are all brainwashed.
I realised that recently. I am so easilly influenced.
I remember raising this question to my A level philosophy teacher last year, and she was like 'what?' and got really offended (she was a christian).
Her opinion seemed to be that christianity didn't start out as a cult, because it's true.
Duh!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:25 am
Regarding the original post, and whether or not Christianity is a cult, a few dictionary definitions would give a broader view.

Quote:
OXFORD ONLINE DICTIONARY
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/cult?view=uk
cult

• noun 1 a system of religious worship directed towards a particular figure or object. 2 a small religious group regarded as strange or as imposing excessive control over members. 3 something popular or fashionable among a particular section of society.

Quote:
CAMBRIDGE ONLINE DICTIONARY
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=18874&dict=CALD

cult (RELIGION) Show phonetics
noun [C]
1 a religious group, often living together, whose beliefs are considered extreme or strange by many people:
Their son ran away from home and joined a religious cult.

2 a particular system of religious belief:

Quote:
DICTIONARY.COM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cult

cult kʌlt[kuhlt] Pronunciation Key
-noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.
-adjective
9. of or pertaining to a cult.
10. of, for, or attracting a small group of devotees: a cult movie.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:25 am
skeptical wrote:
Quote:

And apparently your point is that the word 'cult' has several definitions, some of them pejorative and some not.

Yes, many words have multiple definitions, and depending on context can carry quite different meanings.

Syllabic emphasis alone can transform phrases such as 'yeah right' from a simple acknowledgement to high sarcasm.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:10 am
Yeah, well my wife washes my brain once a week. The fabric softener makes me kind o' quirky, though.

A clean mind is a happy mind, you know.
0 Replies