Child support extortion from abroad?

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 11:54 am
As you may or may not know, my sister, the dearest creature to me under this sun, underwent divorce last year. Last two years of their marriage they lived in California, where the ex-husband stayed to live.
My sister returned to Slovakia.

The court ruled that he has to pay child support monthly. He paid, since September, for one month. She nor his parents heard from him since late January.

Is there a legal way how she could force him to pay? Are there organizations that help in such cases? I don't even know where to begin looking. He now owes almost $7,000, which in Slovakia is a large enough some of money. Over 170,000 SK...

She is broke and depressed. I am determined to help her somehow. It's just been about half a year since divorce. She dealt well, jumped into million activities and all, but it's creeping back. She feels she's a loser in life and in work, she feels uncapable of anything, is sort of rendered powerless. She, for the record, is one of the brightest, talented, hard working people, but it seems a real blown-out depression got hold of her. She didn't want to go the route of threatening her ex with a legal action or actually doing it, but now is more open to it. She's a clever one, so she knows she needs to take care of herself and sort things out, and is taking steps towards it. I want to at least help with finding out whatever the possibilities are to get the money from that scumbag for her and their son (whom he hadn't spoken to since January as well).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,522 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:01 pm
Oh yuck.

"Deadbeat dad" might be a lead in terms of searching. That's the American term for what he's doing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:03 pm
http://travel.state.gov/family/services/support/support_2600.html

interjusdictional stuff

looks like there's an agreement between California and Slovakia
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:05 pm
Wow, great find...!

Sure looks like she can make him pay.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:09 pm
Not sure how these two specific jurisdictions handle it, but I know that when some Canadian provinces and U.S. states are involved, there are government offices that actually go after the money actively.

i.e. in Montana's case, if she'd involved her province of residence, they would have gone after her father's son directly for the funds - so that she wouldn't have needed to.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:27 pm
Oh, that's fantastic. I found the exact office to contact through that list. Forwarded all to my sis. I hope that will help.

Though I'm still tempted to fly over, hunt that mofo down and and and... well I only got that far. I've no idea what i'd do. probably nothing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:29 pm
The office I found is Monterrey Department of Child Support Services.
They should be able to help her, right? Monterrey being the county where they lived and he still lives now.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:26 pm
Another option is to sell the house they bought together in Slovakia, or raher while they were married (money being mostly hers and my parents) - though she has to pay him out. I suppose she could sell it and not pay it out unless a) he pays child support or b) they have an arrangement calculating how much he owes and will owe on child support and she can keep that part paying him out the rest....

But that sounds legally more complicated than just demanding child support.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 02:49 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
The office I found is Monterrey Department of Child Support Services.
They should be able to help her, right? Monterrey being the county where they lived and he still lives now.

I don't think they'll help her directly. I believe the process is that she goes to the appropriate agency in Slovakia and THEY contact the State of CA and provide a copy of the court order. CA then tracks him down (of course that goes faster if she can tell them where he is) and goes through their process of collecting from the deadbeat dad.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 02:59 pm
Through his SS# you can find his whereabouts and have his wages
garnished - that is if he's still in California. Most deadbeat dads leave
town for another state where it is more difficult to trace them.

dag, if you have his SS# you can look it up at the ssa.gov site.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:02 pm
fishin wrote:
I don't think they'll help her directly. I believe the process is that she goes to the appropriate agency in Slovakia and THEY contact the State of CA and provide a copy of the court order. CA then tracks him down (of course that goes faster if she can tell them where he is) and goes through their process of collecting from the deadbeat dad.

That's the way it works from e.g. Germany as well.

Or better: should work.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:03 pm
Concerning the house: if it's under community property, then she'll
need his signature to sell the house, and vice versa. There can be
a court order obtained where it stipulates that escrow needs to
hold back the outstanding monies owed to your sister, before the
reminder is paid to him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:15 pm
But, the divorce has already gone through the courts, no? So maybe it is her property by that agreement.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Through his SS# you can find his whereabouts and have his wages
garnished - that is if he's still in California. Most deadbeat dads leave
town for another state where it is more difficult to trace them.

dag, if you have his SS# you can look it up at the ssa.gov site.

A private individual can't do that. There is no SS# look up service on the SSA WWW site that includes anyone who is still living. If they did have one it would be illegal (it would violate the Privacy Act).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:01 pm
Dag, I didn't know. That guy equates with my new favorite phrase: **** on toast.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:06 pm
oy. so much to do. poor S. I will keep forwarding her all the information (I can't get her on an online forum, she's just not the type). going through slovak authorities does make sense though.
i don't know where the Shitontoast lives now, but hopefully S. does have his SS#.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:08 pm
None of my business, but does she have a copy of the divorce agreement?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:17 pm
Yes, she does. She was the one doing all the dirty work. All the papers. The Shitontoast just graciously signed, even though the entire divorce started from his initiative and he was the one who found an affair on the side...and and and.... no need to go there. She has the papers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:20 pm
So, do the papers give her the house?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:30 pm
<shitontoast is sticking - stickyshitontoast>
0 Replies