Distance of time

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 04:32 pm
Consider a normal clock. The large hand is 4cm long and the short hand is 3cm long. Calculate the distance between the tips of the hands at the moment they are moving the fastest toward each other.

Minute handle = A with the tip of the handle as point a
Hour handle = B with the tip of the handle as point b

Both handles move (rotate) at their own constant speed. (w==omega)
wA is the (constant) rotational speed of handle A.
wB is the (constant) rotational speed of handle B.

wA does not equal wB, but both speeds are constant. They don't have any acceleration.

Now consider the relative speed of point a to point b (the tips of the handles)!
Sometimes point a moves towards point b, sometimes point a moves away from point b.
It's easy to see that this relative speed isn't constant. So the movement of point a relative to
point b doesn't just consist out of a speed, you also got to take in consideration an acceleration.
So sometimes point a moves faster towards point b.

The only thing you have to do is to find out where the relative acceleration of point a towards point b is the greatest.

Basically that's what asked here.

Once you know the angle between the 2 handles you can calculate the distance [ab] because you know the length of both handle A and handle B.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 11
No top replies

markr

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:11 pm
You started off with
Quote:
Calculate the distance between the tips of the hands at the moment they are moving the fastest toward each other.

You ended with
Quote:
The only thing you have to do is to find out where the relative acceleration of point a towards point b is the greatest.

Which do you wish to maximize?
0 Replies

official

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:02 am
Calculate the distance between the tips of the hands at the moment they are moving the fastest toward each other.

So I need to find the distance between the tips of the hands when they are moving the fastest toward each other.
0 Replies

official

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 12:35 am
Ok so I have been looking a bit at this, and say that both hands are moving. Well they are both always moving towards each other, and so I'm just not sure, but I think it has something to do with their angle they form...

they are closing the distance the fastest when the tangent to the hour hand circle intercepts the minute hands tip, so the tangent that intercepts the hour and minute hand is what I want
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 01:09 am
Quote:
Well they are both always moving towards each other

Not true - they'd eventually meet.

At 12:00, the minute hand will start moving away from the hour hand. It reaches the greatest distance a bit past 12:30. Then, it starts moving toward the hour hand.
0 Replies

official

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 01:19 am
At 12:30 the hands are still moving apart, don't forget the hour hand is going to be half way between 12 and 1 by then, you are right shortly after 12:30. I haven't an idea on how to figure out this formula or answer though.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 01:53 am
There is probably a clever solution involving vectors (which may be where you were headed). I'll give that approach some thought later.

In the meantime, here's an approach that will yield a solution (you can approximate it in Excel).

t = 0 to 2*pi*12/11 radians
Mx = 4cos(t)
My = 4sin(t)
Hx = 3cos(t/12)
Hy = 3sin(t/12)
D(t) = sqrt((Mx-Hx)^2 + (My-Hy)^2)
= sqrt((4cos(t)-3cos(t/12))^2 + (4sin(t)-3sin(t/12))^2)

We want to minimize D'(t) (derivative of D(t)). That represents the position when the distance is decreasing at the fastest rate.

Therefore, we want D''(t) = 0 (second derivative of D(t)). There will be two values of t that satisfy this equation. We want the one where D'(t) is negative.

Once we know t, we can compute the positions of the hands and the angle between them.

By the way, 6.0 < t < 6.2
0 Replies

official

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 01:42 pm
They also tell me:

well ... you're thinking much too complicated ... just think of my hint of _simple_ maths.
with this hint, there are just a few possible solutions:
with which angles and only simple math (no sin, cos or tan needed ... in germany you learn it after 7 years school) can the triangle be calculated?
and then try _every_ solution!
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:12 pm
Well, it's not clear to my why the angle opposite the minute hand is a right angle, but it is.

Therefore, the distance is sqrt(4^2 - 3^2) = sqrt(7)
0 Replies

official

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:41 pm
Very nice, you are right. And for the explaination:

At any time, the distance between the two tips is

Suppose that the clock is rotating counter-clockwise at the speed of the minute hand. Then the minute hand is effectively stationary while the hour hand is still moving at a constant speed. The point at which the hour hand's tip is moving most quickly towards the minute hand's tip is the same as the point at which the hour hand's tip is moving directly towards the minute hand's tip. If you draw a circle to represent the hour hand's tip as it moves, then you just need to draw a tangent to the circle which passes through the point representing the minute hand's tip. Now you have a right-angled triangle (with the clock's centre)

sqr(X) = sqr(A) + sqr ( Cool - 2 A B cos (alpha) with A and B the lengths of the tips and alpha the corner between the hands.
This means that X = sqrt ( 25 - 24 cos (alpha)) which is an equation in one parameter, hence easy to derive.

Then just find the point of maximum accelaration (deriving twice) and solve it to cos (alpha)

Yes indeed, no need to actually calculate cos (alpha), cause you get an equation of the second order in cos(alpha), which tells you that cos(alpha) = 3/4

Substitute this in the equation above and you get X = sqrt (25 - 18 ) = sqrt(7)
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:03 am
After the nice explanation that leads to a right triangle, I don't understand why the rest of it is needed. Pythagoras give us a very straightforward calculation.
0 Replies

official

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:11 am
It's what the guy said that wrote this riddle Smile. Just thought it may be interesting. Thanks again though markr, you are on top of your game.
0 Replies